205- Notchy, sticky steering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
205- Notchy, sticky steering
My cars recently developed notchy steering and doesn't centre when turning right.
I jacked it up and checked all the suspension units and they seems fine but the steering was still stiff. It makes a grinding sort of noise when turning the wheel from the column. It's horrible to drive ATM.
Is it the steering column/ universal joint or is it the rack?

Also would like to mention the rack was PAS but has been converted to manual.

Had a quick look at it today by jacking up one side at a time as the jack won't go high enough for an axle stand. Removed the track rods and turned the hub and it seemed to move freely each side. So it must be steering related. The UJ's have a slight knoch when wiggling the wheel and also noticed when I gave the tie rod gaitor area a tug it seemed to have play/slight knock sound.

Please note this is for a 205 not a 306 :!:
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
No idea, but my 106 is the same, won't centre itself nnd also worse right turning, , I assumed this is just a non-pas thing though? :? No fluid pressure to push the steering straight.....but I take it this is actualy something broken then lol? It tracked fine on the supertracker though.... :think:
Thanks given by:
Yep tracks fine, handles fine, just doesn't self centre and very nothy. Was fine before so yeah somethings broken on yours.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
PAS or not it shouldn't behave like that - My guess is the drive pinion on the steering rack is f*cked Sad
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
No it's bloody horrible and dangerous to drive!
It's starting to narrow down to the UJ between the column and rack.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Oh well, just another thing to add to list of broken bits on mine lol. Just means I can't indicate indicate on roundabouts cos the steering takes too much effort lol...I did wonder if all non pas cars were this hard to steer lol. :oops:
Thanks given by:
Once your moving, non-PAS should feel no heavier than PAS, it's only really for parking...
Thanks given by:
Not heavier, harder! I always seem to be fighting the steering wheel.....either on corners round town with it getting stuck on lock, or at speed its all over the place cos its too light, really can't win this car lol...damn not having progressive power steering on this! :problem:

Barely touch the wheel on the golf and it follows the road fine, it just fits in the lorry ruts in the road I guess......I can't take both hands even slightly off in the nad though.....it would end up I ditch instantly lol.
Thanks given by:
I shouldn't really have to tell you this but that's not right. I wouldn't even drive that...
Thanks given by:
Well with the awful steering and the awful brakes it makes for some interesting situations. :think: :?

Dw though, I'll just trade it in for the next car I think, don't think id feel ok selling it to anyone tbh lol.
Thanks given by:
That pulling thing is natural on non-pas car due to the castor angles, non-as have negative caster, set-up abit like a shopping trolley so it's easier to turn. But something else sounds f*cked on yours making it worse.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Shouldn't be anything like that, they still have castor, just less of it compared to PAS model to make the steering lighter, the rack is a lot slower too so it should be a piece of piss to drive, shouldn't pull at you, something is f*cked.

Check the top mount bearings and the lower balljoints, and also the UJ between the steering column and the rack.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Whoa....

Have you got the big turbo on yet?

Sure it's not fouling the rack - had that problem before on a 306 - dunno whether you'd manage to foul it on a 205 though, I've never really looked!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Whoa whoa whoa Ruan, don't tell people to fit turbos, you know pugs blow head gaskets every 3 weeks Wink
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 Rallye: Notchy steering... Matt-Rallye 11 2,776 03-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye