MG ZS VVC conversion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MG ZS VVC conversion
A friend of mine bought a zs recently but we decided the 120 engine isn't enough with the k series being so similar it was decided that a vvc head and ecu would fix the problem.
Didn't get many photos as was busy trying to do the job and stop the local polish kids from stealing our tools ( they actually pocketed the old mayo covered thermostat) .ph yea it also turned our that the engine had some hgf so, laugh away.
So far the head , water pump , thermostat and a modified wiring loom have been fitted just need to fit the new ecu and get it set up with the immobiliser
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
iirc that was a mini-me conversion back in the day, sticking the 1800 VVC head on the 16/1800s.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Thats brave....considering you cant even get your own standard vvc running right Tongue

Hehehe! Good effort though...120bhp is silly for such a car
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2014, 12:04 PM)C2K Wrote: iirc that was a mini-me conversion back in the day, sticking the 1800 VVC head on the 16/1800s.
Yea I think some of the MGF lot have done it too. I posted this up in the zr facebook group last night and everyone just moaned we didn't use the 160 pistons which are a bit stronger even though the 143 uses these pistons anyway and it goes to 160 without hurting

(22-09-2014, 12:06 PM)Piggy Wrote: Thats brave....considering you cant even get your own standard vvc running right Tongue

Hehehe! Good effort though...120bhp is silly for such a car
You arse lol It's more of a see if we can do it, if it doesn't work then it's only a weekend and other £20 headgasket kit to put it back to standard
You're right though 120 is too little power , but a 2.5 v6 180 is too thirsty/expensive to buy. The best option would have been a 1.8t but the vvc was easier (i think)

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
nah 1.8t conversion's easy, well it is if your willing to pull the engine z and f do a ecu and replacement sensors so you can just drop it in and plug and play
Thanks given by:
I do like these rovers mind, There should be good data for setups ( f*ck knows where you will find it), as Rover used these in the btcc.
A vvc 400 wasn't really heard of back in the day ( well no one would mention this conversion). I think the T series turbo may have been more favourite for the bigger rovers back then, rather than the K series stuff. Not sure how plug in play the looms are from the R200 stuff to these. As I haven't really read up on the big rovers, only thing is will it be as quick as the v6 one, ( know thats an expensive engine to sort out, plus that engine was used in the btcc too I think)
Thanks given by:
Sounds like fun. Had my K series (only a 1400 mind) tweaked by Moto-Build as I wasn't so clever with the spanners back then. Considered the 2.7 V6 as a swap for a while.
Thanks given by:
so is this one just as fast as yours? Or is it even slower? D:
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2014, 08:36 PM)306Dan Wrote: nah 1.8t conversion's easy, well it is if your willing to pull the engine z and f do a ecu and replacement sensors so you can just drop it in and plug and play
Ah bum, maybe something to consider for my zr or if I get a zs like this

(22-09-2014, 08:50 PM)procta Wrote: I do like these rovers mind, There should be good data for setups ( f*ck knows where you will find it), as Rover used these in the btcc.
A vvc 400 wasn't really heard of back in the day ( well no one would mention this conversion). I think the T series turbo may have been more favourite for the bigger rovers back then, rather than the K series stuff. Not sure how plug in play the looms are from the R200 stuff to these. As I haven't really read up on the big rovers, only thing is will it be as quick as the v6 one, ( know thats an expensive engine to sort out, plus that engine was used in the btcc too I think)
I'm starting to quite like them too, feel a bit better built than the zrs (although shite on a stick is better built than them) T series is still popular for the zrs but this was a lot easier to do lol It's very nearly plug and play just had to splice in the 3 vvc plugs and cam sensor and (in theory) she should run
It won't be as fast as a v6, it isn't a full 160 engine so might never run as well as a proper 160 although neither does mine. But it will be easier on fuel than a v6

(22-09-2014, 09:45 PM)DavidA Wrote: Sounds like fun. Had my K series (only a 1400 mind) tweaked by Moto-Build as I wasn't so clever with the spanners back then. Considered the 2.7 V6 as a swap for a while.
Ah seen them on ebay seeing poly bushes, how much did you get out the 1400?

(23-09-2014, 08:51 AM)SRowell Wrote: so is this one just as fast as yours? Or is it even slower? D:
I'd hope it'd be slower with it being a heavier(but nicer) car and a not true 160 engine. But it's suspension system is superior with double wishbone on front and independent rear it is a Honda in disguise after all

Thanks given by:
Why do people rave about those V6s I'll never know. Underpowered, lazy and thirsty.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Because they sound good Tongue

Thanks given by:
(23-09-2014, 08:51 AM)SRowell Wrote: so is this one just as fast as yours? Or is it even slower? D:

it will be slower as its heavier than his posh rover, but the Rover 400 is better one of the two, if you want pure rear wheel action the badass v8 rover 75 is the one to have.

(23-09-2014, 11:55 AM)Piggy Wrote: Why do people rave about those V6s I'll never know. Underpowered, lazy and thirsty.

expensive to sort out when they go wrong! I think your looking about 700 quid to do the belt/ chain on a V6!
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2014, 11:46 AM)lolsteve Wrote: Ah seen them on ebay seeing poly bushes, how much did you get out the 1400?

I had it rolling roaded at MiniSport before and after and it was up to 125 afterwards - had the Superchips Icon, 4 branch manifold and exhaust system with a Peco DTM back box and a Pipercross bolt on air filter.

[Image: f064b1008dc98bed2deb66291e051fe3.jpg]

Sat on TSW Blades with Koni shocks and a strut brace. Thought it was the bees knees...
Thanks given by:
I ..erm...wow

That's not bad power out of a 1.4 though in its defence

Thanks given by:
That 200 is awesomely 90's!
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2014, 09:27 PM)Pete Wrote: That 200 is awesomely 90's!

It's probably around 1998 in that picture. There certainly weren't many modded Rovers back then and it turned heads. Just a shame it was beige...

(23-09-2014, 09:16 PM)lolsteve Wrote: I ..erm...wow

That's not bad power out of a 1.4 though in its defence

I was young...

And the drive back from Moto-Build was certainly more enjoyable !
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2014, 03:31 PM)DavidA Wrote:
(23-09-2014, 11:46 AM)lolsteve Wrote: Ah seen them on ebay seeing poly bushes, how much did you get out the 1400?

I had it rolling roaded at MiniSport before and after and it was up to 125 afterwards - had the Superchips Icon, 4 branch manifold and exhaust system with a Peco DTM back box and a Pipercross bolt on air filter.

[Image: f064b1008dc98bed2deb66291e051fe3.jpg]

Sat on TSW Blades with Koni shocks and a strut brace. Thought it was the bees knees...

that's a proper rover, none of this "MG" bollocks! take note lolsteve!
Thanks given by:
Update:
Car is still running but loosing a bit of coolant only when used for extended periods of high load such as motorways. Thinking its a small hole somewhere thats only leaking under high pressure situations so the most annoying type of leak to find. 

Car has also been mapped as well for testing and has gone from a ~8.3 0-60 to a 7.4 . This is on the original 120 manfiold so a 4-1 style with 2 cats rather than the vvc one which is a 4-2-1 with 1 cat. He has the university labs grinding out a vvc manifold at the moment so it'll be much better flowing and should improve the performance even further. This engine is also running the 56mm throttle which is larger than standard (52mm) but is generally thought of as being not as good so seems there is some more to be had from this

Thanks given by: