• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solid beam mounts
Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
because you can?

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Why not?

I have not used them... Have a set ready to weld up for over a year.
Have not yet done so as yet to feel the need. The rear is smooth and progressive and never seems to snap out.

It is considered an upgrade to make the rear more predicatable but I can't comment on that tbh
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Fit and forget.
Feels a lot better too.
Thanks given by:
The rear of these cars are designed to have a slight passive rear steer when loaded up heavy but once you push to far they snap at you. with solid beam mounts its meant to make them a lot more predictable. i personally like the standard ones and have never felt the need to change them. however im sure a few people with dedicated power builds like them
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
What are you going to be using the car for? Daily they're kind of pointless as you won't see the gains unless you're beating the f*ck out of it. I have them fitted to my otherwise stock HDi as I needed some mounts and they were kicking around. It has actually made it a bit more understeery, you have to poke it with a stick to get the back end out. But then you just point the front where you want to go and floor it. It's just less "lazy" to hoon.

On a car set up for track use however, they're epic IMO. You can turn in harder as the back end will hold a tighter line without the passive rear steer, then power on progressively from the apex and you're away.. The flipside is it makes the car less forgiving at the limit and when it lets go, you have to be on the ball to catch it, especially if you're running bigger wheels with less sidewall.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I've got some to fit at some point just not got round to it. Just need an excuse to drop the beam down.
Thanks given by:
Got them fitted on the 6 along with some new suspension but I find it's really soft, bouncy and like it's dragging its arse

Didn't know what effect they'd have tbh

Thanks given by:
That is not the mounts doing that.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Didn't think it would be but like I said didn't know what they'd do.

Really want to get it setup nicely but don't know where to start

Thanks given by:
Maybe it is dragging its butt...brakes binding?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
What else did you fit when you did the mounts?
Thanks given by:
has all this been fitted after you sold it?

do you know what has been done to it whilst not in your ownership?

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
Got them on my daily HDI too, Jonny is spot on with his thoughts, defo more feel/predictability, when absolutely ragging it round the corner it feels sooooo much tighter! (giggidy lol) Well worth sticking on if you have some just lying around.
Thanks given by:
How hard are they to make up?
Can they be done from dead oem mounts, or do you have to build something up from scratch?
Thanks given by:
(19-04-2016, 08:22 PM)cully Wrote: has all this been fitted after you sold it?

do you know what has been done to it whilst not in your ownership?

Yeah was fitted while she was away.

Has also had a rebuilt beam by stef with (supposedly a bigger ARB)
Koni FSD shocks all round and new 35mm springs up front

Thanks given by:
are the rear shocks adjustable maybe they are adjusted soft/bouncy
or was your old beam siezed not moving

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
Old beam was fine when it went, will have a look later and see if they're adjustable

Thanks given by:
After driving with both...

GOOD genuine Peugeot rear beam mounts are better than solids.

I think everyone who puts them on and then is like 'omg they mazin' is comparing them to absolutely shafted 15 year old, 140k mile ones.

Solid beam mounts reduce the agility of the car and make the steering totally dead - you might as well be in a Mk4 Golf at that point, those beam mounts are some of what gave 306s their name for excellent handling... They give you much more throttle adjustability as you can make the nose tuck by lifting slightly. They do remove the slight perceived 'unpredictability' that people go on about with 306s as lifting mid corner won't have as severe an effect on where the rear wants to track - but basically lrn2drv... However when you do reach the limit, they can then become spiky, but usually you just get a sea of boring understeer first.

On a super fast long track, solids maybe are better as the stability is better at higher speed - but IMHO it's negligible. Anyone who says "feels tighter" or "more predictable"- that's just because your original ones were worn out and sloppy, Peugeot didn't get a reputation for outstanding handling cars by fixing the beam solidly to the car - they seriously knew what they were doing... If the car has tax and an MOT - IMHO I'd put a good set of genuine beam mounts on, they make the car come alive.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(20-04-2016, 01:41 PM)Ruan Wrote: After driving with both...

GOOD genuine Peugeot rear beam mounts are better than solids.

I think everyone who puts them on and then is like 'omg they mazin' is comparing them to absolutely shafted 15 year old, 140k mile ones.

Solid beam mounts reduce the agility of the car and make the steering totally dead - you might as well be in a Mk4 Golf at that point, those beam mounts are some of what gave 306s their name for excellent handling... They give you much more throttle adjustability as you can make the nose tuck by lifting slightly. They do remove the slight perceived 'unpredictability' that people go on about with 306s as lifting mid corner won't have as severe an effect on where the rear wants to track - but basically lrn2drv... However when you do reach the limit, they can then become spiky, but usually you just get a sea of boring understeer first.

On a super fast long track, solids maybe are better as the stability is better at higher speed - but IMHO it's negligible. Anyone who says "feels tighter" or "more predictable"- that's just because your original ones were worn out and sloppy, Peugeot didn't get a reputation for outstanding handling cars by fixing the beam solidly to the car - they seriously knew what they were doing... If the car has tax and an MOT - IMHO I'd put a good set of genuine beam mounts on, they make the car come alive.

i'm making a note of that for future reference ThumbsUp
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
£278.13 for a full set of genuine beam mounts!
Think I'd go with solid mounts.
Thanks given by:
(20-04-2016, 04:50 PM)luke306rallye Wrote: £278.13 for a full set of genuine beam mounts!

And this is why people moan about them. Impossible to find that quality elsewhere.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(20-04-2016, 04:50 PM)luke306rallye Wrote: £278.13 for a full set of genuine beam mounts!

Wut!? Its some rubber and metal, how can they possibly cost that much? Confused

I'd take quality rubber and metal over crap but that still seems a stupid price!
Thanks given by:

:o didn't expect anything like that price wise

Tbh Ruan in thinking along the same lines as you, I never saw the point of solid mounts as I thought it would remove some of the special feeling they have to drive.

That said they probably are better for stability on track but it takes away from the fun drive you get on a good a road IMO

Anyone fancy a swap for some new genuine mounts? Wink

Thanks given by:
Just fyi here...
Ruan has driven the racetractor...a few have been in the passenger seat...
It handles well and its predicatable imo.

The beam sits on motorfactor generic front mounts and ebay £15 a pair rear mounts with powerflex jobbies rammed in.
They have been that way for a couple years now...over 25k miles if my math is right
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
febi mounts are genuine no need to go to peugeot and pay the premium
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
I'm not saying you must get genuine PSA packeted parts, but nothing will last as long as the genuine PSA part.

I've also seen what happens with cheap parts - jack up one side of the beam and the wheel stayed on the floor... Only thing left holding it was the exhaust. I'm not saying they're all bad, but the quality is definitely 'variable'...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Rubber moves and takes too long to react, Solid are a million times better, same goes for the front wishbones, You get a car that does what you want and not waiting on bush's to move, mind this is under race condition's with a good driver,
But it does not make the car understeer, or oversteer without good notice, if it does then something else is wrong or your car's too low
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
Without some form of actual testing how can anyone definitively say which are better?

The car "feeling stable" or "feeling good" are completely subjective. Yes, feeling confident in the car's handling has a big effect on how the driver performs but it's fairly clear from the varied responses that different drivers have different preferences. Driver preference does not actually demonstrate one or the other to be better.

Peugeot designed in some compliance toe change at the rear for a reason, presumably this was a reason drawn from a significant testing and development programme. This compliance might feel "vague" to a driver, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is bad, in the same way that very low profile tyres make turn-in feel very sharp but if you are running tyres of too low a profile you will struggle to maintain a large contact patch under lateral load and will actually be able to sustain as high a lateral load as with a slightly higher profile tyre.

Basically: how the car "feels" doesn't really tell us anything.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
The only way you'll find out which you prefer is if you try both.
I've had brand new genuine mounts with a standard gti6 beam, I'm now running solid mounts which I think are the ones Miles sells with 23.5mm torsion bars and a hybrid arb which I prefer the feel of.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  rear beam mounts recommendations Magenta Sunset 22 4,362 20-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  Rear Beam Mounts? JTaylor2005 8 1,789 27-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Stef205
  Rear beam mounts - GSF? Dazecoop 9 2,391 10-01-2016, 05:40 PM
Last Post: roland rat