Troubling noises/dead turbo/need help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troubling noises/dead turbo/need help
Sad 
So after nearly drowning the car a couple of weeks and now fitting a FMIC this past weekend im having some troubles.

It can happen on anything more than gentle acceleration and it sound like ive got a bolt stuck beind my dash, a weird rattling noise. Im worried my turbo is dead/dying and fitting the intercooler has just made it more aparent. Ive fitted a boost gauge at long last and its reading around 13-14psi when i put my foot down, im not sure how much i trust this gauge though due to my pikey fixings with the piping.

Ive also had problems with vibrations through the pedals, ive made sure nothing is touching the clutch cable as this was the prime suspect but im still getting some feeling through both the clutch pedal and the accelerator but not the brake. Its a very tight fit for the c5 bottom pipe in that gap.

Im wondering what and how i should be checking to confirm any suspicions about my turbo?

I will get under the car again and get some pictures of the pipe fitment one night this week and i will do my best to get a video of the noise but i doubt ill get a good sound recording with the rest or the shake rattles and drones from the rest of the car.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I've had something similar on min start happening. But for me it seems like quite a plasticy rattle, rather than a screw. Always from around 2k revs onwards when giving it a bit of oomph. If I hesitate during the acceleration then carry on it will stop. Quite strange really :/
Thanks given by:
did you ever find out what it was, mine seems to have gone now but every now and then ill get a minor rattle when im accelerating harder.
Thanks given by:
13-14 psi is good that's what I had when first fitted so you haven't got no leaks.
The bottom c5 pipe dose run pritty close under the car near the subframe mine dose to, as for your rattle did you have it before you fitted the fmic?
Thanks given by:
Yeah its reading what i expected but im not sure if that guage over reads so i may have a leak and just not be able to tell. I know unlikely power feels fine and it hasnt changed. Its a real squeeze for that bottom pipe, pas pipe and clutch cable in that gap. And no there was no rattle before and its pretty much gone now
Thanks given by:
I've not found out what it is no, anytime I try to demonstrate it just doesn't happen. Can't seem to pick it up on video.
Just leaving it for the moment hoping it's nothing major and just a usual rattle. But I will get a friend to properly look, if I find anything il let you know!
Thanks given by:
Im thinking crank pulley
Thanks given by:
New problem: if im coasting up to a junction/lights and im in neutral so idleing if i just coast to a stop or very light braking then idle is fine, sits at just under 1k revs. If i brake with any sort of force the revs drop depending on how much i brake by. Brake quite hard and they drop to about 650-700 revs and the engine sounds like its about to stall.
Thanks given by:
I get this on mine. I guess it's to do with the vacuum pump that's bolted to the side of the head.
Thanks given by:
Oh ok, ill have a little investigate, see what i find. Cheers
Thanks given by:
The sound from mine has been coming and going lately. But now its from around 2.2k revs. when i change gear, seems to be louder and as though its releasing something. not toooo sure really :/
Thanks given by:
Ive got a new crank pulley coming so ill report back when thats fitted.
Thanks given by:
The new solid pulley seems to have sorted the rattle i had. Only been on a short drive so far but ill be driving it all week.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noises! Nicks306 12 1,875 31-01-2015, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Nicks306
  Noises LewisG 4 1,228 22-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Last Post: LewisG
  Timing / Cam noises from HDi 2.0 nauest 27 8,500 29-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Last Post: nauest