DT > GTI 6 Rear Beam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DT > GTI 6 Rear Beam
I'm needing to get a GTI 6 beam fitted to my car this weekend and I'm struggling to find out much info about the whole process.

I'm happy enough with dropping the beam itself off.

However, with the brake set up being different, do I have to get a hold new brake lines? I've got a annoying voice in the back of my head that tells me I need to do something more than just put on the beam. Confused

I'm in a situation where I could do with no nasty surprises on the day!

Cheers
Thanks given by:
I believe the handbrake cables are different and not much else. I could be wrong though Smile
Thanks given by:
you will need, a big f*ck off hammer, a hacksaw, a chisel, a bag of tools, a jack, and some axle stands. and some new handbrake cables, and the solid brake lines on the gti beam, and patience. and wd40. and a small northerner by the name of jonny.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
like scott says new hand brake cables jobs a good un
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
how do we get around the fact that carl's beam has the load compensator, yet IIRC the '6 beam won't have one?

EDIT: this has to be done on the sunday, and carl is going to the xmas meet, so we need no surprises, as per the OP lol
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
my 6 beam has got one?

but mates one we changed the other day dt with load sensor fitted with an hdi estate/gti beam without sensor just swaped the compensator onto the new beam simples
Thanks given by:
Ok, so I will be needing handbrake cables for a disc beam, such as this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-306-Co...329&_uhb=1
Thanks given by:
and the right hand side Smile

can't see convertible being any different to hatch
Thanks given by:
is it not a longer floorpan??
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
hmm haven't a clue tbh, could be now you mention it, just find some hatch specific to be safe,
Thanks given by:
you can leave the load sensor on car just unbolt from old beam and bolt onto new beam. That's what Kris did on my car when i converted to a 6 beam
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
I sacked the load sensor off when I swapped beams, plus it will never fail a mot for being seized Wink
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
can only do that if abs as far as i know
Thanks given by:
Nope lol don't have to plug the sensors in... Wink
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
but then the rears lock up way before front as they have less piston to move?
Thanks given by:
I did a dt to 6 beam swap. As said you will need the disc hand brake cables and you will need to rework the lines. As for the compensator you can either swap it off ypur old beam or sack it off, mine came with one so I plumbed it in.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2012, 09:03 PM)Kwik Wrote: but then the rears lock up way before front as they have less piston to move?

No they don't, im saying this as its what I did on my dturbo, never was a problem. And nothing other than the handbrake cables need changing, brake lines all line up, just depends if you wanna keep the valve... I personally wouldn't bother
Thanks given by:
i always thought they would. well i never lol
Thanks given by:
I'll see what mood I'm in on the day then. Probs will try swapping it over first, but if it becomes a problem, I'm not going to lose any sleep by not fitting it!

The beam does have the handbrake cables with it, so is it wise to use them? Or do you get new ones because you don't know what condition they will be in?
Thanks given by:
try them if they work wait till one snaps then replace lol
Thanks given by:
Id buy new ones for the sake of how much they cost
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2012, 10:16 PM)Kwik Wrote: try them if they work wait till one snaps then replace lol

Ahh, the good old 306 motto to live by lol

Just out of interest, do peoples who have swapped over to this beam noticed a difference?
Thanks given by:
massive difference in positive pedal feel but i did do 266mm upfront a while ago. in parts for 4waydiablo has a set of calipers £20 which is a bargain
Thanks given by:
Yea big difference, the hand brake is crap! In all honesty I think the back end does feel tighter due to the thicker tb's but the main reason I did it was cosmetic, drums just look horrid!
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I wonder how tight its gonna feel on 22.5's then :S

lol fair play, never thought of them as an eyesore, but I reckon the shocking ride height at the back distracts me!
Thanks given by:
IMO handbrake is better as i only use it stationary and don't do handbrake turns anymore lol. it clicks the right amount lol
Thanks given by:
Would have a liked to have brought this thread to a proper conclusion, but my beam never turned up!

I'm just gonna pinch a GTi anti-roll bar and put that in, as my thicker TB's are in and it's been lowered.
Thanks given by:
FWIW - You will lock the rears easier without the compensator, but usually it's fecking pointless anyway as after the beam is lowered, it's so far out anyway it may as well not be there...

Get yourself a proper bias valve Wink
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear beam ...the good and the bad Mighty306 35 15,521 23-07-2020, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Rear Beam Pgtips 1 1,429 26-06-2020, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Rear beam rebuild MOK 21 6,666 18-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Last Post: MOK