306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
SRowells Black Rallye - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Photos and Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: 306 Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: SRowells Black Rallye (/showthread.php?tid=30670)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - welshpug - 01-05-2016

i would not do the same! lol

it'd be on the trailer and off down to Cornwall with it!

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - Stef205 - 01-05-2016

ive just drawn and tweaked a itb map for omex onto a 106gti yes it drives and feels fine but far from correct its going to sandy next week and wont be driven untill then. Get it mapped!

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - cully - 01-05-2016

I'm with the welsh one here I wouldn't be running it under-load without a mapping check
detonation eats aluminium real quick!

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - welshpug - 01-05-2016

and over fuelling kills rings and bores, and eventually engine bearings

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - lolsteve - 02-05-2016

Retard ignition timing a bit , watch the afr gauge and jibs a good'un Wink

SRowells Black Rallye - bashbarnard - 02-05-2016

(02-05-2016, 07:44 AM)lolsteve Wrote: Retard ignition timing a bit , watch the afr gauge and jibs a good'un Wink

This. Im a bit pikey when i play with stuff like this i advance the timing a degree at a time wtching the wideband untill it doesnt make anymore power then back it off 2/3 degrees to play it safe.

I say a bit pikey. Massive pikey. I cant tune petrols very well at all i struggle lol

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - Eeyore - 02-05-2016

Yesterday it was the Felixstowe Road Run and towards the end of the show I sneaked in and parked on the front with my mates landy.

[Image: IMG_20160501_171607_zps9rpolojd.jpg]

Today was another day of car things. Started just after lunch and tom came over. Lots of things done! Twin fans wired in, aftermarket alarm system removed, interior removed, belts removed, buckets fitted, harnesses and eyes fitted, plx touchscreen afr gauge fitted. Routed the shift light, rev and afr wires through the grommet above the master cylinder. Wired in the rev gauge and we are all good!

The aftermarket alarm had ultrasonics and a keypad which we removed. There was then a whole bunch of wires which were connected at neither end. The sound box in the bay was full of water and the boot open switch was wired to the boot light. Anyway thats all removed now which is great as I wasnt planning on removing it. It was only because we had to swap the a pillars to black ones that i found a whole bunch of wires which were all coiled up and rubbish. Its left 4 holes in the bulkhead so i gave them a quick spray and fitted the bung that had come out of the master cylinder hole.

[Image: IMG_20160502_161913_zpsmrka5qju.jpg]

Not many pictures of the process but we fitted the buckets. I havent seen it done like this before but it goes... seat, 5 door slider frames, 5 door subframes, 3 door subframes. Reason for the layers is that the 5 door frames have a bracket for mounting the inner strap of the harness. Also the sliders are better quality than aftermarket ones, its a wider base and also someone had hacked the inside holes on the 3 door frames so best to use the outer ones. 3 of 4 holes lined up so we drilled a 4th. Fitted in the rain as well.

[Image: IMG_20160502_195143_zpsvhxlfxg8.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160502_195208_zpsvpkzjc3h.jpg]

So yeh its pretty racey on the inside now!

[Image: IMG_20160502_195020_zpsvmpwxjad.jpg]

Also relocated the USB cable to the glovebox instead of the drivers footwell. Lots of little things! Thanks to tom for coming over and helping. Seems to be a weekly occurrence these days! Looking to be FCS ready now. Matrix is leaking so either a quick change or a blank may be needed if it gets worse.

[Image: IMG_20160502_195952_zpsbwdovd7y.jpg]

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - 7057sam - 03-05-2016

Looking pretty sweet mate,definitely going get a passenger ride out in this at fcs

Glad you starting making it more track ready,trying to keep the interior in mine atm but I can see myself stripping it out soon enough lol

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - Piggy - 03-05-2016

Is there not a pad supposed to go in the bottom of those buckets? Iirc they feel like sitting on a plank of wood

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - 7057sam - 03-05-2016

(03-05-2016, 05:09 AM)Piggy Wrote: Is there not a pad supposed to go in the bottom of those buckets? Iirc they feel like sitting on a plank of wood

Yeah reremmber my cobra's where like sitting on a park bench lol,these where pretty much brand new when sam got them so padding is still quite good.

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - Toms306 - 03-05-2016

The pads are in Sams shed lol, and yes they're pretty hard without. lol

Rallye & GTi6

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - MY95 - 03-05-2016

Tom's car still with that really low rear end and missing door handle lol
Both cars looking clean though lads! Smile

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - Toms306 - 03-05-2016

That's with 2 tool boxes in the back, its not quite that bad usually lol. But yeah, I'm tempted to buy a slide hammer if they're cheap enough, hitting the bump stops isn't fun! Confused Door handle is hopefully on the way soon lol.

It does make a change to see them both clean though! Smile

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - Eeyore - 03-05-2016

When we finished I was planning on taking it out but it was raining and the road was flooding so didn't do it as I really don't want to have to clean it after every trip!

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - MY95 - 03-05-2016

Fair dos Tom, bet the rides a bit more bumpy too! had an axle that low before, cornered very well but comfort was a bit lacking!

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - Toms306 - 04-05-2016

The ride isn't actually horrific, it really surprised me tbh. Just feels the same as having 50 profiles on a normal height GTi/Estate beam tbh, yes it's uncomfortable compared to the Focus but not back breaking while cruising, only when I push my luck and end up hitting the bump stops!

It rides and holds far better than Meridian height seized axles and cambered axles I've used in the past lol, I've had very few decent axles across all the 306s I've had. This beam actually moves in the way it should! Definitely been replaced recently but I wondered if it'd been rebuilt at the same time or if they just replaced a few seals when lowering it tbh. It's not in the history annoyingly.

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - powerandtorque - 04-05-2016

(04-05-2016, 08:35 AM)Toms306 Wrote: It rides and holds far better than Meridian height seized axles and cambered axles I've used in the past lol, I've had very few decent axles across all the 306s I've had.  This beam actually moves in the way it should!

Healthy (or atleast, not obviously f**ked) beam in rides and drives better than f**ked beam shocker Rolleyes

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - Toms306 - 04-05-2016

(04-05-2016, 11:36 AM)powerandtorque Wrote:
(04-05-2016, 08:35 AM)Toms306 Wrote: It rides and holds far better than Meridian height seized axles and cambered axles I've used in the past lol, I've had very few decent axles across all the 306s I've had.  This beam actually moves in the way it should!

Healthy (or atleast, not obviously f**ked) beam in rides and drives better than f**ked beam shocker Rolleyes

Haha, it is a shock tbf, I thought an ~80mm drop would be about as comfortable as wooden wheels. lol

However this isn't my thread so I'd better stop spamming it! To the Nile thread...

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - Eeyore - 06-05-2016

Just realised I havent really updated this with the current setup. The fuel lines arrived and proper jubilee clips which are so good compared to the crap previously used. I really wanted to get the fuel lines neater but without using the super fuel fittings etc that everyone else is using as if there are any problems ill change routing etc. I did want to mount the FPR on the drivers side however this means running another line under or back across the bodies at pressure so ive put it on the passenger side of the head in an attempt to reduce the amount of hose under pressure. The head also has some nice bolt holes for mounting it. Quick rotation of the FPR and some cable ties and I think its looking pretty tidy. Fans are now wired in and working and I have ordered some conduit to tidy that up.

[Image: received_10209311368282370_zpsyz5kyfhi.jpeg]

I still need to work on the wiring and have a plan of what I want to do. Ive been buying all the kit to make the loom up again.

This weekend I want to do a few more things to prep for track. Fit the original shocks instead of the TA technics shocks that i fitted just to pass the Mot and also cut the front grille down to get a bit more flow. Sometimes it looks crap and I dont want to just attack it with a hole drill bit. What chambers has done with his track car keeps the standard grille shape but opens up the back. Ive got two spare diablo grilles so im going to cut those up and spray them.

[Image: received_10209353645899284_zpsro6jj8xs.jpeg]
[Image: received_10209353643099214_zpspuaei959.jpeg]

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - powerandtorque - 06-05-2016

Agreed, that looks like a nice tidy job you've done there with the routing - nice one! ThumbsUp

I wonder if you wouldn't be better with the throttle linkage around the other way and using a shorter throttle cable though, as that would get rid of that comparatively sharp bend where the cable doubles back on itself that could, over time, lead to a heavy pedal.

Keep an eye on those fuel pipes too, as modern rubber hose is sh**e and can start perishing in mere months.

(06-05-2016, 12:02 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: Agreed, that looks like a nice tidy job you've done there with the routing - nice one! ThumbsUp

I wonder if you wouldn't be better with the throttle linkage around the other way and using a shorter throttle cable though, as that would get rid of that comparatively sharp bend where the cable doubles back on itself that could, over time, lead to a heavy pedal.

Keep an eye on those fuel pipes too, as modern rubber hose is sh**e and can start perishing in mere months.

Cheers. Ive tried to keep it tidy and its better than the 1.8 as it wasnt thrown together on a back street in london rushing to map.

For the throttle linkage yes its long. if i had a strut brace i would be cabletying it up to that the same as the 1.8 but i havent fitted that yet as its in a state. Havent investigated shorter cables yet as ive never really taken one out to look at it or even see how it attaches to the pedal. The linkage has all the extra spacers and washers fitted now so is exactly how it should be in the jenvey tech diagrams. Works well so far but you can still see that the cable is cable tied to the linkage. I have bought two cable ends now but have fitted neither as i dont trust them not to pop off the cable. I looked at the arrangement chambers has on his car and he uses a stopper the same as mine but then a massive one just after it to make sure it doesnt come off. He was in a race once where it came off on the first bend! D:

the fuel pipes ive bought are the decent standard of SAE30R9 which is the one for high pressure injection systems i believe. Ive replaced fuel hoses in the bay probably 3 or 4 times over the years as it never seems to last.

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - powerandtorque - 06-05-2016

Where did you get the R9 hose from and what manufacturer is printed on the hose? There's a lot of fake "R9" hose about on eBay etc which doesn't last and is apparently lower-spec hose that's been re-labelled and doesn't have the proper lining that it should do.

EBay and it has a lot of things printed I'll have to check. I keep a regular eye on the hoses to check they aren't perishing so will see how this fairs.

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - Eeyore - 10-05-2016

Pre FCS Checklist
- oil catch tank
- Balance the bodies and check idle (AFR seems to be good everywhere but idle which may be an imbalance)
- Fit seam welded subframe
- tracking
- Fit ferodo ds2500 pads
- Replace heater matrix

Pre Pugfest
- Safety Devices 6 point bolt in cage (6 week lead time so ordering now)
- Welded in X, door bars and harness bars.

Nice to have
- refurbished cyclones and fit michelin ps3s

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - Paul Baldwin - 11-05-2016

Have you at least checked the colour of the plugs on this yet to give yourself an a bit of re-assurance that it's not steadily eating itself?

Looking good anyway Big Grin

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - welshpug - 11-05-2016

(11-05-2016, 10:50 AM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: Have you at least checked the colour of the plugs on this yet to give yourself an a bit of re-assurance that it's not steadily eating itself?

Doesn't really work that well with modern non leaded fuels.

There is no substitute for a £300 mapping session with the best pug mapper in the uk.

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - Paul Baldwin - 11-05-2016

Doesn't really work or gives no indication at all? As Sams obviously not in the mood to have it mapped just yet it wouldn't hurt for the time it takes, he's already said his afr's in the right range and it's obviously not pinking its tits off or someone would have noticed it by now.

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - Eeyore - 11-05-2016

(11-05-2016, 11:29 AM)welshpug Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 10:50 AM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: Have you at least checked the colour of the plugs on this yet to give yourself an a bit of re-assurance that it's not steadily eating itself?

There is no substitute for a £300 mapping session with the best pug mapper in the uk.

and who would be the best pug mapper in the UK?

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - RetroPug - 11-05-2016

(11-05-2016, 01:33 PM)Eeyore Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 10:50 AM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: Have you at least checked the colour of the plugs on this yet to give yourself an a bit of re-assurance that it's not steadily eating itself?

I'm fairly sure he's referring to Sandy Brown.

RE: SRowells Black Rallye - Matt-Rallye - 11-05-2016

(11-05-2016, 03:10 PM)RetroPug Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 01:33 PM)Eeyore Wrote:

I'm fairly sure he's referring to Sandy Brown.

Which cannot be argued with tbh.