306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Mot engine conversion - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Couch (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Mot engine conversion (/showthread.php?tid=13465)

Mot engine conversion - Chris_90 - 02-05-2013

So looking at converting the hdi to a d turbo how does it work with mot?? Do they mot it as normal or do they be funny about it being converted?? As the hdi mot runs out in July was gonna mot it then do the conversion but getting bored so might start taking it to bits now ready for the swap

Any help welcome thanks in advance

RE: Mot engine conversion - Dicky - 02-05-2013

(02-05-2013, 04:24 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: So looking at converting the hdi to a d turbo how does it work with mot?? Do they mot it as normal or do they be funny about it being converted?? As the hdi mot runs out in July was gonna mot it then do the conversion but getting bored so might start taking it to bits now ready for the swap

Any help welcome thanks in advance
They will MOT it as normal, or did when I MOT'd my 5 door saxo with a VTS lump in it

RE: Mot engine conversion - bigcheez2k3 - 02-05-2013

Mine was MOT'd as normal.

RE: Mot engine conversion - darrenjlobb - 02-05-2013

Makes no odds to MOT.

Logbook / insurance should be changed however.

RE: Mot engine conversion - Chris_90 - 02-05-2013

(02-05-2013, 05:07 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Makes no odds to MOT.

Logbook / insurance should be changed however.

That's ok then might get ripping it to bits soon then, what do I do with log book?

RE: Mot engine conversion - Danny2009 - 02-05-2013

Have to declare the engine swap then they send the logbook back with the correct details, you will also have to re tax the car as it will be a higher tax band

(02-05-2013, 05:40 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Have to declare the engine swap then they send the logbook back with the correct details, you will also have to re tax the car as it will be a higher tax band

Tax band is the same as the car is a 1999/2000 I think so tax is the same, as long as it goes though the mot ok with the engine swap every thing else is easy to sort

RE: Mot engine conversion - CollieLaa - 02-05-2013

Main differences between hdi and d turbo? Obviously apart from one being a 1.9 and one a 2.0

RE: Mot engine conversion - Poodle - 02-05-2013

Search!

So is it just the log book that needs changing for an engine swap then? Thought it needed inspections from VOSA and similarly daft shit.

RE: Mot engine conversion - cully - 02-05-2013

(02-05-2013, 06:34 PM)Poodle Wrote: Search!

So is it just the log book that needs changing for an engine swap then? Thought it needed inspections from VOSA and similarly daft shit.

you might need an engineers report for your insurance company to say it been done right!

Just logbook and insurance, but DVLA will demand an inspection sometimes dependant on swap, and insurance will almost certainly demand an inspection, I had to for mine, and that was just another pug engine...

Better to keep it legal tho than take the risk IMHO no matter what the hassle.

RE: Mot engine conversion - cwspellowe - 02-05-2013

(02-05-2013, 08:05 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Just logbook and insurance, but DVLA will demand an inspection sometimes dependant on swap, and insurance will almost certainly demand an inspection, I had to for mine, and that was just another pug engine...

True, but doesn't stop 99% of converted eBay cars "still saying 1.4 on the logbook so cheap insurance"

REALLY grinds my gears

haha yeh that really choochs my antler to!!

(02-05-2013, 08:05 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Just logbook and insurance, but DVLA will demand an inspection sometimes dependant on swap, and insurance will almost certainly demand an inspection, I had to for mine, and that was just another pug engine...

Thanks think I will ring insurance first then before I start ripping in to it hope I don't have to have it inspected tho sounds a right ball ache!

Tbh not to bad, for simple engine change pug to pug like that, id imagine they would be fairly happy with just a signiture from local MOT garage to say its fitted to a good standard..

Mine was just a farce due to the ammount of modifications, id have been better converting it to a stock 16v hdi first, changing it legally etc, then "modifying" it after so it was two steps / they werent inspecting the chronic parts!

RE: Mot engine conversion - mr_fish - 03-05-2013

I would say that your tax would be on the same level as a 1.9TD due to your emissions going up from the HDi to the XUD. Maybe ok though.

I had my inspection check done by a normal garage where I have my MOT done, and got a letter stating the car was safe, etc.

RE: Mot engine conversion - Chris_90 - 03-05-2013

(03-05-2013, 08:13 AM)mr_fish Wrote: I would say that your tax would be on the same level as a 1.9TD due to your emissions going up from the HDi to the XUD. Maybe ok though.

I had my inspection check done by a normal garage where I have my MOT done, and got a letter stating the car was safe, etc.

As i said above the tax bracket is the same as it was registered before may 2001. so all cars registered before that over 1.5 they are £120ish for 6 month so tax wouldnt make any difference

RE: Mot engine conversion - mr_fish - 03-05-2013

woops didnt quite read it right. cant believe the prices of tax these days...every year it seems to go up a £1 or so.