306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
More stripping best way of removing bitumen? - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: 306 Repairs & Mods (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Interior, Exterior, ICE (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: More stripping best way of removing bitumen? (/showthread.php?tid=10425)

More stripping best way of removing bitumen? - 306GT30 - 03-02-2013

ive removed the dashboard yesterday and now thinking of removing the frontcarpetpiece , some sounddeadening that is behind the dash.

Heres come, what is the best way to remove the deadening/bitumen (dont know how you call this stuff in english) that is on the carsfloor underneath where the seats are.

some use a heatgun, some use ice...

What youre looking at in time to get this shit removed and have a nice clean floor???

any help, input would be great, thankyou

RE: More stripping best way of removing bitumen? - ozonehostile - 03-02-2013

i use an air chisel and either thinners or acetone to remove the residue left over.

depends if your going to respray the area after aswel because then you could use a combination of air chisel, drill wire brushes and angle grinder flap discs to remove absolutly all of it (including the paint)

i think you should remove the paint and respray the interior the same gloss black as the exterior of the car, would look mint then Smile

RE: More stripping best way of removing bitumen? - Pompey306mark - 03-02-2013

I was stripping a car yesterday and there was nothing under the seats and carpet. So I have ripped the carpet and crap out with by cutting it with a knife.

RE: More stripping best way of removing bitumen? - 306GT30 - 03-02-2013

Hmmm i dont have an air chisel..

im commited to a few hours of labour, but i just dont want to start something i later on hate finishing with being worse then being raped in the arse... if you know what i mean Wink

What do i use in first to get the crap off? heatgun?

RE: More stripping best way of removing bitumen? - Pompey306mark - 03-02-2013

Yea heat is always a good place to start.

Ill have a look today.... :S

RE: More stripping best way of removing bitumen? - ozonehostile - 03-02-2013

id reccommend buying an air chisel, makes it about 100x easier, you can pick up a genuine sealey one over here for less than £20 so im sure its not going to affect your budget haha

RE: More stripping best way of removing bitumen? - lolsteve - 03-02-2013

Biodiesel seems to have done a good job of turning mine to mush

Hmm

Air chisel work with compressors right? ive got a huge compressor in the barn but that one is f*cked

Biodiesel.... hmm, ive also heard people using ice, freeze is and it comes of with nice big chunks...

Although i think i cant be bother to do these now, im just gonna remove the front carpetpiece also and spray the bitumen black, nice project for next winter Wink
Theres still a hell of work to do....

thankyou all for your replies