Dile(M)ma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dile(M)ma
So, I have got a bit of an issue and I would like some opinions.

Basically with the track car project coming up early next year, I will be needing a car that I can tow with. I'll stick up another thread at some point soon about what cars you guys would recommend for that. Now, if we lived in a perfect world, I could get insured on my parents X-Trail and just use that whenever I needed to tow the track car. However, the policy that the car is on, means I can not get insured on it until I was 25. Also, my mum has business insurance on it, meaning it would be quite expensive.

I would not be able to afford to buy/insure/maintain another car, so I do not think I would able to keep my current DT.

With the modifications and the state that my car is in, the only way in which I can justify it, is to take it to track days, but seeming as we'll have the track car, I would want any excuse possible to drive that. It therefore pretty much renders my car a little bit pointless....

At the end of the day my daily commute is a 15-minute drive, half of which is through narrow twisty lanes, which I can't drive quick anyways (unless I wanted to die), so I do not think I will miss my car too much, as long as the replacement is everything I want it to be, with a decent sound system.

I'll stick up a G.I./W.I.W. thread when I get time later on the week, to see how much you reckon the car is worth in its current state and take that from there.

I just feel torn between my heart and brain.
My brain tells me it takes logical sense to sell it on.
My heart tells me I've been on a massive adventure with this car and it seems a shame not to see it all the way through.
Thanks given by:
I had a similar dilemma with my black DT ended up selling it and regretted it ever since
From experiance id think long and hard about it mate
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Part ex on a 306 estate or get a vitara xud
Thanks given by:
the next question is have you got the correct licence to tow a car on a trailer ? or do you need to take another test?
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2013, 07:36 PM)Jimbo Wrote: I had a similar dilemma with my black DT ended up selling it and regretted it ever since
From experiance id think long and hard about it mate

I am doing, I know I'll miss it, but even more epic win is replacing it.

(12-11-2013, 07:54 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Part ex on a 306 estate or get a vitara xud

306 estate are not big enough. I'll have to check the limits on a vitara, they're a bit small though, could look a bit out of proportion!

(12-11-2013, 08:03 PM)cully Wrote: the next question is have you got the correct licence to tow a car on a trailer ? or do you need to take another test?

I believe I am all good.
Thanks given by:
306 estate will be big enough to tow your track car. 1200kg limit and I reckon your car will be 900kg so get a sub 300kg trailer and get it plated at 1200 gross and you'll be fine.
Thanks given by:
The issue there is finding a sub 300 kg trailer that's big enough. Ideally carl needs something a bit heavier. 1400kg would be a better weight.

Also from a police point of view, there's more chance of being pulled over when you're towing a 306 with a 306. It just looks illegal imo.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
200 or 300 tdi discovery. Will pull the weight, you can tune the pump and turbo, lift kit & wheels you can go green laneing , also a pratical winter hack ??

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
You really dont want to be towing a track car miles around the country with a landrover though...landrovers are bledy awfull for any distances...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Daihatsu fourtrak 2.8TD? Big Grin

Again, not amazing for long distances but I've driven worse!

[Image: Daihatsu-Fourtrak_1997_800x600_wallpaper_04.jpg]
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
If the outfit your pulling with looks overloaded/wrong, more chance of mr ministry pulling you up and giving you ball ache.

I expect the bigger cars have gross weight when pulling? but just means you'll have to get a bigger car for the towing machine.

What about an 806? XUD 1.9 in it and enough space for tools/spare track tyres/sleep in/etc. Tongue and I reckon that could pull over the ton

Early part of next year we'll be looking for something to pull with, but a lot of the 4x4 vehicles cant pull the max of 3.5 ton, only landrovers seem to but as Darren said...awful for long distances.
Thanks given by:
3 series touring, best of both worlds for your needs.

Be sure its what you want to do though, seems a shame when you've just got yours working so well.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
A 406 was one of my suggestions, it's small enough to be a cheap daily (don't forget the tax and fuel economy on 4x4's) and tows like a dream. But get either the XUD or the 110 HDi, the seimens managed HDi90 is horrible to drive, fairly gutless and a PITA to remap for the extra 40 or so torques it desperately needs.

Or an old LPG converted Ovlov v70..

Thanks given by:
I'd ideally want an estate.

I've looking mainly into Audi A4's. They're about the right size and come with a 2.5 tdi engine. It's not an engine that I know much about, but they seem pretty decent. Any of you have any experience of them?

The estate's look ideal as well, but with them, you run into a lot of quattros.
Thanks given by:
Yeah tbh the older discos arent nice over long distance. We use the new TDV6 to pull the defender now and thats pretty dam good over long distance ....... But im guessing your budget doesnt stretch that far lol

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Can't believe I only just noticed the thread title. The correct spelling, Carl, is "dilemma" lol

/spellingpolice

Thanks given by:
Yeah, my budget is whatever i get for my car, plus a bit more for the right car.

Poodle, would love one of those, but because of where I live, i need a car that won't fail miserably when it snows.

F*ck you Jonny, stay down south!
Thanks given by:
(13-11-2013, 02:21 PM)c.gerrard Wrote: F*ck you Jonny, stay down south!

Meh, you always correct me when I use object pronouns in the subject position. So I shall correct your spelling.

Thanks given by:
(13-11-2013, 11:15 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: A 406 was one of my suggestions, it's small enough to be a cheap daily (don't forget the tax and fuel economy on 4x4's) and tows like a dream. But get either the XUD or the 110 HDi, the seimens managed HDi90 is horrible to drive, fairly gutless and a PITA to remap for the extra 40 or so torques it desperately needs.

Or an old LPG converted Ovlov v70..

I was about to say 406, or a rover 75 diesel, as those were rated the best tow car.
Thanks given by:
Mondeo estate
I love my mondeo, such a comfy car
Thanks given by:
Left field choice: what about a hyundai santa fe? Reliable, cheap, 4wd, comfy, decent on the motorway and you could comfortably tow your house in one.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(13-11-2013, 10:42 AM)mr_fish Wrote: What about an 806? XUD 1.9 in it and enough space for tools/spare track tyres/sleep in/etc. Tongue and I reckon that could pull over the ton

I feel you've overlooked this, so I'm quoting it to bring it to your attention again.
Big boost XUD towing bus! What's not to like? Big Grin
[Image: MIRKxNP.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Vauxhall Monterey? Good over distances, proper off road ability, great for towing, half the price of a Trooper. The 3.1TD is thirsty but I think it can run veg...

PM me about your car!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(14-11-2013, 12:05 PM)me-tm Wrote:
(13-11-2013, 10:42 AM)mr_fish Wrote: What about an 806? XUD 1.9 in it and enough space for tools/spare track tyres/sleep in/etc. Tongue and I reckon that could pull over the ton

I feel you've overlooked this, so I'm quoting it to bring it to your attention again.
Big boost XUD towing bus! What's not to like? Big Grin

This!

I think I may have found the ideal solution for my missus who keeps on about how are we gonna fit my daughters and a newborn (she's not pregnant yet though!) in a 306? lol

Definitely sounds like a winner for towing as well! Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(14-11-2013, 12:23 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: The 3.1TD is thirsty but I think it can run veg...

I think this is one of liam's sole requirements in a vehicle when he's looking at potential daily hacks Tongue
Thanks given by:
(14-11-2013, 12:59 PM)mr_fish Wrote:
(14-11-2013, 12:23 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: The 3.1TD is thirsty but I think it can run veg...

I think this is one of liam's sole requirements in a vehicle when he's looking at potential daily hacks Tongue

He's northern, veg is cheap, northerners are, well, northern. 'Nuff said.

Thanks given by:
Damn right! I love the fact that the grasping twats in Westminster get nothing from veg oil, and it's that cheap I can afford a second car!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Would say a Pajero but they are gutsy as f*ck! mine did 19mpg on a run..

Fourtrak 2.8td are decent as said above
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
(14-11-2013, 02:57 PM)Dicky Wrote: Fourtrak 2.8td are decent as said above

Wink *number1*
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Finally, someone added an M! lol

I'm not much help on the topic though, I'd just sell it as I don't get attached to stuff lol.
Thanks given by: