Aux belt bouncing between the crank pulley and aircon compressor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aux belt bouncing between the crank pulley and aircon compressor
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas the car ( 2001 hdi ) started making a funny noise a few days ago it sounded similar to the noise it made whan the crank pully was knackered. I jacked the car up and removed the drivers wheel and arch liner, started the car and noticed the Aux belt bouncing between the crank pulley and aircon compressor, both tensioners are pretty new ( less than 6 months old ) the crank pully has done about 30K since i last replaced it, so could the crank pulley have gone again or maybe the belt stretched? i have got a new pulley to go on and am going to get a new belt at the weekend, just wondered if anyone had any other ideas or suggestions?

Cheers
Thanks given by:
I would remove the belt and check all tensioners and pulleys by hand. Sounds like a shot tensioner to me though
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah will have a look at the weekend, but i replaced both tensioners about 6 months ago as one was squeeking so i just replaced both of them, but i didn't replace the belt.
Thanks given by:
spring loaded tensioner is probably bouncing off its stops due to slack belt, The second idler is actually a tensioner too, it has an eccentric mounting hole slacken it off and turn the mount to tension the belt again
Thanks given by:
check belt for wear...
if they are auto tensioners then thats the next bet.

but get it off and feel everything up!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Did you use genuine parts? Ive had a non-genuine crank pulley go in less than 15k before, ebay jobby.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
No the crank pulley was from a local motor factors ( it was a bank holiday monday when it went and they were the only place open)
The tensioners were from gsf, will have to have a good look at the weekend will bung the new crank pully and belt i already have and check the tensioners while i am there.
Thanks given by:
(14-03-2013, 10:52 AM)Poodle Wrote: Did you use genuine parts? Ive had a non-genuine crank pulley go in less than 15k before, ebay jobby.

Just to echo this, I had a gates aux belt tensioner go in about 40 miles from new, it was fine when fitted. Finally threw the belt off about 6 weeks later, as I'd just ignored it.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
When my crank pulley was gone, it was knocking quite badly, and the belt was shaking badly at it's longest point.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
If you use the solid ones it's not a problem buying cheap, but for tensioners and the like it's a classic case of buy cheap, buy twice.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Cheers for the replies fellas, sorted it this morning, the crank pulley was ok running nice and straight and like mentioned above the noise was from the spring loaded tensioner bouncing, I don't think the manual tensioner was correctly adjusted as i slackened off the belt and checked all the pulleys and all was good, fitted the belt back on, tensioned it up properly with the manual tensioner and released the spring loaded one and it was nice and quiet.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pas delete, aircon delete, squeally belt mayhem dr_jekyll 16 3,430 11-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Last Post: dr_jekyll
  Crank pulley compatibility Dreijers 0 1,115 01-06-2017, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Dreijers
  Pulley Noise, Belt Slipping Squealing sometimes when steering ollieh17 1 1,048 15-12-2016, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Poodle