Pulley Noise, Belt Slipping Squealing sometimes when steering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulley Noise, Belt Slipping Squealing sometimes when steering
New to the 306 world having bought a £200 188,000 miler. Seems to run fine apart from this annoying noise. On start up it squeaks a bit but this quietens down with some revs and when warmed up. Also a loud rattly sort of noise that again you can't hear under load, full lock it sometimes squeeks as if the belt is wet/dirty. I have put a screwdriver to powersteering pump but doesn't sound like its that. 

As the car cost me bugger all Im a bit hesitant to spend lots of money and different parts to fix the issue.It has had a new crank pulley in its life.
Thanks given by:
Welcome! Have a watch of the aux belt with the engine running, if you can see the belt bouncing anywhere it'll be the next item in the direction of belt rotation, if that makes sense. Hopefully just a tired aux belt, certainly sounds like it. Take it off and check all your pulleys and tensioners for any play to be sure - you'll need a 15mm spanner and strong hands or a bar/another spanner linked into the first to release the tensioner. Be aware it'll spring further round when released fully than it will with the belt on (apologies if i'm teaching you to suck eggs here), can be a pain to get the right angle to lever it back enough to refit the belt, some people find it easier from underneath with the arch liner out.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2.0 HDI Alternator belt sprung adjuster pulley bouncing. cheapo 5 1,257 12-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Clutch slipping Deangatt 2 1,069 18-08-2015, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Pgtips
  crank pulley/de air con and belt pug306driver 7 2,857 24-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Poodle