Trip Computer Guide (HDI)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trip Computer Guide (HDI)
I've wanted a TC in my car for years. I bought various gadgets to try, like the Kiwi mpg but none worked well. Last year figured out how to fit a 406 mk1 TC into a 306 HDI.

Now, before I start I'd like to say I take no responsibility in anything going wrong, this guide is how I installed the TC into my car, your car might be different so it's your responsibility to check before you make any changes to your car. Please remember to disconnect the battery before making any electrical changes especially when working on the ECU! Please don't try this if you not 100% confident in you skills

I used a TC from a 406 D8 (mk1), the first one I bought was in L/100km and there is no way to change that other then changing the whole unit. The screen and circuits are hard wired to be ether one of the two. It's only the second gen you can go through a menu to change.

[Image: IMG-20121227-00572_zps23cf943c.jpg]

I installed mine in where the old clock was, it just about fits there with a bit of fettling.
The black bit between the two holes for the old clock is the little switch to flick through the other bits like miles left in tank, instant mpg, average mpg, miles covered and average speed.

[Image: IMG00625-20120204-1614.jpg]

This is what you see when you first connect it, you can see here the L/100km on this one.

[Image: WiretableV2_zps3b78e213.jpg]

I've made a table to show which wires to use and where they go. The switch to change display info is switched to earth.

Four wires go to the instrument panel for Speed, ignition mode and two for Fuel level. Five if you want the low fuel warning which only stops giving you the estimated fuel in tank info, I didn't bother with this as it would have been a bit of a bodge connection to the track going to the low fuel bulb.

Six wires are connected to the wires going to the old clock, to give you power, outside temp, illumination and ignition sense.

I used scotch locks in prototype stage, this was the first time I've ever use them and what a load of crap they are. I would highly recommend you not to use them and to solder all connections.

One cable connects to the ECU and on the one plug EDC15 Bosch unit for the HDI it's pin63. If you're doing this on any other ECU the pin number will be different so please don't connect to pin63 on any other ECU. I ran this cable in where I ran my main power cable for my amp's.

[Image: SL742030.jpg]
[Image: SL742033.jpg]

I got a proper connector pin out of a scrap car and used that to connect to the pin on the ECU, a lot of people on the 406 forum just bodge the wire through the plug and bend it around the end of the plug because it's on the end there is less chance of shorting out on other pins but I don't trust that way and just cut out a proper connector to use.
Please double check you have the right pin before connecting. You can see from the two pic's above the pink wire next to the gray is where the pin 63 is.

[Image: SL742020.jpg]
[Image: IMG00607-20120129-1511.jpg]

You will need to remove the old clock and panel. The clock is held by two T20 screws and the panel comes off with the aid of a credit card.

[Image: IMG00604-20120129-1453.jpg]

These are the cables from the clock that are to be used on the TC.
What the cables do and where they go are on the table above.
I chopped the plug off with enough cable so if I wanted to go back to the old clock I could and then soldered the cables to the TC.

[Image: SL742024.jpg]
[Image: SL742025.jpg]
[Image: SL742022.jpg]

Behind the instrument panel it's best to take the plugs out of there sleeve to make it easier follow the cables back from the pins to make sure you have the right ones. To do this you first pull up the black part at the end, once removed you pull the connector out the sleeve. There will be numbers on the block find the right pin, follow the cable back a bit and cut and solder the new cable to the wire.

All the wires connect to the cables in parallel a part from the cable from the fuel sender which needs to be connected in series by cutting and one end of the wire from the TC pin 14 is soldered to it. Pin 13 is then solder to the wire that goes to the instrument panel.

The panel which the clock use to show through needs to be made larger to do this I first measured the panel then took away 2mm for a bit of over lap, I should of done more and measured the useful info in the display and cut the hole big enough to show that so it was a bit neater. To cut the hole I chain drilled then filled the hole to the size required.

I then super glued the plastic clips that hold the LCD on to the panel to hold it in the window just made.

On the 406 the info on the display is changed by a switch on the right stalk. I thought it too much of a pain to get a 406 stalk and adapt to work on my 306 so I just used a switch located next to the display to go through the TC functions. The switch I used I salvaged off a piece of scrap electronics from work. One end of the switch goes to pin 5 on the TC and the other goes to earth.

I hope this helps and please let me know how you get on. If you need any help let me know and I'll do what I can.

Please don't try this if you not 100% confident in you skills.

Good luck.
Thanks given by:
Awesome guide.

So does it work? Like how much is left in the tank? It accurate?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
I really wanna do this but I don't trust myself Sad cry
Thanks given by:
Cheers for putting this up mate.
As I said, now I've got your wiring info, I can start looking Into fitting the D9 version which does need a bit of soldering but shouldn't be too difficult!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Will this work on a 6??

If so Niall bring your wirering kit round mine and get cracking Big Grin

Cookies and reach arounds as STD ninja

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Is anyone else getting a delay on posting here?

-

That's weird I've lost a post.

(19-01-2013, 08:50 AM)Matt Wrote: Awesome guide.

So does it work? Like how much is left in the tank? It accurate?

Thanks, yeah it works pretty well. The only downside I found was when stuck in traffic the mpg plummeted.

(19-01-2013, 09:26 AM)Just Sean Wrote: I really wanna do this but I don't trust myself Sad cry

It should be pretty easy to do, you just need to double check you get the right pins and cables. If you go by the pin numbers, double check the colour of the cable and the cable number if visible you should be fine.

(19-01-2013, 09:56 AM)Niall Wrote: Cheers for putting this up mate.
As I said, now I've got your wiring info, I can start looking Into fitting the D9 version which does need a bit of soldering but shouldn't be too difficult!

I look forward to your progress mate. The D9 one looks loads better.

(19-01-2013, 10:52 AM)puglove Wrote: Will this work on a 6??

If so Niall bring your wirering kit round mine and get cracking Big Grin

Cookies and reach arounds as STD ninja

This will only work if you find out the right pin to use on the ECU. Do any 406's use the same ECU's as the 6 as there are a ton of pin data for ECU's on the 406oc forum.
Thanks given by:
Good guide. I was talking to Niall about this the other day! If i can get one then Ill have to give it a go!
Thanks given by:
Just so people are aware, Deeturbo has done this on a HDi and it will only work on a HDi the way he has wired it but i have now worked out how to wire it on the GTi and 1.8. Will do another guide once ive tested it on mine (with all credit going to Deeturbo for helping out) and probably blown up my ecu. Its slightly more difficult on the GTi as you will need to take apart the ECU plug and fit a new pin and wire or solder it directly onto the board on your ecu!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
That is so awesome!!!! repped.

Have you worked out how to transplant the cruise control yet? (runs to buy another HDi)
Thanks given by:
(19-01-2013, 08:55 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: That is so awesome!!!! repped.

Have you worked out how to transplant the cruise control yet? (runs to buy another HDi)

Thanks, I did start looking in to it and I think it should be possible. There need to be a couple of switches installed one on the clutch and another on the brake. Also the control stick off the 406.
Thanks given by:
Awesome!
Thanks given by:
Chris cruise control is very possible and would be easier on the HDi but problem is you will need a different ecu and ive just learnt that to pair a new ecu to the cars bsi, the bsi needs to be brand new.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(19-01-2013, 09:03 PM)Niall Wrote: Chris cruise control is very possible and would be easier on the HDi but problem is you will need a different ecu and ive just learnt that to pair a new ecu to the cars bsi, the bsi needs to be brand new.

Yep, the BSI can only be paired once.
Thanks given by:
unless you reflash the bsi to a virgin state Wink

Niall whippy was having an interesting convo the other day regarding cloning ecu's
as in mutiple ecus to the same bsi
he reconds he has the tools to do this maybe worth talking with him Wink
Thanks given by:
(19-01-2013, 09:11 PM)cully Wrote: unless you reflash the bsi to a virgin state Wink

Niall whippy was having an interesting convo the other day regarding cloning ecu's
as in mutiple ecus to the same bsi
he reconds he has the tools to do this maybe worth talking with him Wink

Oh cool. Well BSIs show up on ebay brand new surprisingly cheap and often so im tempted to buy one next time i see one come up as a spare. Also want to get a 406 one for some more ninjaness but i better work out how easy that would be to get working first!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Excellent guide! Off down the scrappy at the w/e to get one.

Whats the difference between D8 & D9 and which models have which?
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
scangauge FTW shows that and more even resets the fault light Wink

[Image: Photo0327.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sweet guide. Trick mod

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
cant wait to get my hands on one of these clocks and then fit it when im back from uni! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2013, 07:38 PM)cully Wrote: scangauge FTW shows that and more even resets the fault light Wink

[Image: Photo0327.jpg]
Yeah, I was thinking of getting the Scangauge but then thought I'd do something different. Also I was a bit pissed off that the Kiwi mpg thing didn't work and that put doubts in my mind about the Scangauge.

What's that display with 0.5 on it about?

(21-01-2013, 07:17 PM)londondan86 Wrote: Excellent guide! Off down the scrappy at the w/e to get one.

Whats the difference between D8 & D9 and which models have which?
The D8 one is just the basic TC but the D9 one is linked to the BSI and will give you all the warnings through the better looking dot matrix display.

I was looking at the D8 TC on service box yesterday and I was surprised that it costs £380 from the dealers!
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2013, 10:45 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: What's that display with 0.5 on it about?

my boost gauge Wink
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-129.html
Thanks given by:
Nice!

I think you might be the most local member to me too, I'm just over in Stevenage.

Do you really have to trace a wire back to the ECU? Surely it goes into the car somewhere?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2013, 06:10 AM)cully Wrote: my boost gauge Wink
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-129.html

Nice, I like that.

(22-01-2013, 04:09 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: Nice!

I think you might be the most local member to me too, I'm just over in Stevenage.

Do you really have to trace a wire back to the ECU? Surely it goes into the car somewhere?

Yeah, I don't know anyone on here over this way.

There is no wire with the injection rate anywhere else on the car. I didn't want to disturb the ECU plug but this was the only way I could find to do it. If it was a 406 then there would have been a cable in the loom but on the 306 that cable isn't present.
Thanks given by:
You only an hour up the road! Guess what you might be doing for me soon! Smile
Thanks given by:
Haha, yeah sure. Just get a TC and I'll fit it for you.
Thanks given by:
I'm down the road in Flitwick, any chance you could help me out fitting one on my 1.8?
[Image: 306oc.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah sure. Need to find the right pin on the ECU first and the rest will be easy.
Thanks given by:
Does anyone know what pin to use on the 1.8 petrol ECU?
[Image: 306oc.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(27-01-2013, 09:47 PM)MiiTCH Wrote: Does anyone know what pin to use on the 1.8 petrol ECU?

Pin 5 for the Sagem SL96 Smile

i dont take responsibly for you blowing your ecu up though!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(27-01-2013, 10:05 PM)Niall Wrote: Pin 5 for the Sagem SL96 Smile

i dont take responsibly for you blowing your ecu up though!

Do you mind me asking what you used for reference to find out the pin number?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide: Making A Trip Computer Stalk Chris 6 5,089 04-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo