Engine Overheating..HELP!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine Overheating..HELP!!
I bought my 306 2 days ago and today the the temperature gauge went into the red and a light on my dash said STOP ... the oils fine...but theres like a brownish gunk in the coolant the bloke said the headgasket had been changed ...Need Help please..
Thanks given by:
Probably not had the head skimmed and it's away again.

Who replaced the HG?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2013, 11:12 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Probably not had the head skimmed and it's away again.

Who replaced the HG?

A Man in the garage
Thanks given by:
Problem is... 'yeh ive changed the headgasket mate' and 'the headgasket has been replaced'. Me and tom went and saw a 306 that had had the headgasket recently replaced and all the seals and everything were broken and the engine had been painted really badly in hammerite including over the rocker cover seal which was a massive fail!
Thanks given by:
^^^It was a big fail. Even more fail when the handbrake cable snapped on us! lol

To be fair, it may have been changed and just not cleaned up properly.

Run the engine and see if the radiator hoses get hard quickly, OR run it with the cap off and watch for bubbles. Overheating isn't necessarily linked to the crap in your coolant.
Thanks given by:
(18-01-2013, 09:11 AM)Toms306 Wrote: ^^^It was a big fail. Even more fail when the handbrake cable snapped on us! lol

To be fair, it may have been changed and just not cleaned up properly.

Run the engine and see if the radiator hoses get hard quickly, OR run it with the cap off and watch for bubbles. Overheating isn't necessarily linked to the crap in your coolant.

the coolant back pressures up with no bubbles fan isnt coming on and there is only cold air coming through the heaters
Thanks given by:
Has it been bled properly could be a massive airlock
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Id agree with Jonny tbh. You say the fan doesnt come on, thats probably a seperate issue. Does the car only overheat in traffic, or is it the same at say 70 on the motorway?
Thanks given by:
how can i bleed it
Thanks given by:
with signs of 'brown gunk' not sure if a bleed will sort this. sounds like the air lock has developed possible due to head gasket going. good luck hope you solve this.

remove the 'dustcaps' and you need to see water bleed from each one. scre a cap back on as you go. use half a large coke bottle cut in half to allow the water to push through to do this.

look up how to bleed theres some better guides...

Thanks given by:
The gunk could just be from the previous failure though! Defo worth a flush and rebleed
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
bled the radiator temperature hasnt risen above 90 so seems to be working fan still doesnt seem to be working but theres quite abit of white smoke coming out of the exhaust could it be because of the weather as its freezing here
Thanks given by:
TU engines are steamy when they're cold, but a lot of white steam 'could' also be coolant in the exhaust from a blown gasket. I think the fan is a separate issue. Very difficult to work out whether or not your gasket is leaking again or not over the internet though.
Thanks given by:
Tbh I'd work out if the hgis gone when it's warmer; its very hard to work that out in this cold weather. Mines also very steamy from the exhaust at the moment...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Take it for a long drive and see if its still steaming. Dont forget, it will do for ages due to the HG going a while ago and TUs are very steamy anyway!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Sorted Cracked raadiator!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Overheating? k3ogh 15 2,610 10-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Chris28190