swap stainless for standard.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanted: swap stainless for standard.
Right may be a bit of an odd one but here goes.
Im wanting to swap my full stainless exhaust for a standard one.
Im on my way to stage 2 now and im obviously having to replace my clutch to handle the extra torque. Ive been reading a lot on this recently and some people are saying going back to a restrictive standard setup will smooth out the torque delivery and hopefully give my new clutch a chance of survival. So there it is stainless for a standard.

Right bought this off ebay a while ago now, full 2.5" stainless (incuding downpipe) mongoose, was made for an estate but I had it shortened to fit the hatch.
This has also been "stealth modded" which means ive emptied the mid can and welded it back up and also ive emptied the backbox but instead of just welding it back up and leaving a boomy empty tin ive welded a piece of straight pipe through the middle!
This means its completely straight through, no baffles, restriction or silencers anywhere whilst still apearing to adhere to the MOT rules of "must have at least one silencer" Wink
I wouldnt say it was loud but it has a deep rumble to it now and does sound really nice when giving it some death.
Also to note the back box had started to corrode a little and has some pin holes in the bottom but obviously makes no difference as there is a piece of pipe welded through it!

Right what I want as a swap

I would like a very good condition standard front to back system with the oval tip on the back, not the cheapo downpointer! Easy as that really, decatted would be a bonus but not the end of the world as I can easily throw some weld around it.

Let me know what youve got!

Oh and with this being a like for like swap I obviously cant post out the exhaust as the law dont appriciate driving without one whist waiting for the post! Lol
It will have to be done on a fine day where we can take both off together and swap there and then.

Edit: Oh this is for a HDI if you hadnt realised already.

Cheers
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I have a standard sedan system you can swap for. But personally I can't see why you would go tho the time effort and expenser of stage 2 to put restrictive stuff back on. May aswell go to stage 1 surely? just get a new clutch
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
^^ It doesn't 'smooth out' the power delivery, it restricts the engine's ability to get the hot gas out, robbing horsepower. Bonkers to go stage 2 with a stock exhaust! Yes it'll save your clutch.... in the same way a stage 1 will..!!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2013, 09:18 AM)HDIkyle Wrote: I have a standard sedan system you can swap for. But personally I can't see why you would go tho the time effort and expenser of stage 2 to put restrictive stuff back on. May aswell go to stage 1 surely? just get a new clutch

Sedan downpipe wouldnt fit on a hdi mate.
Its already stage 1 mate and its having a new clutch but I want it to last.
It would still be decatted so the only real restriction would be the back box.

(17-01-2013, 09:39 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: ^^ It doesn't 'smooth out' the power delivery, it restricts the engine's ability to get the hot gas out, robbing horsepower. Bonkers to go stage 2 with a stock exhaust! Yes it'll save your clutch.... in the same way a stage 1 will..!!

Like I say I just want to save the new clutch from an early demise.
I cant afford to get a fancy £400 paddle clutch so im just going for a sachs berlingo job.

I dont give it death all the time but I do go out for a hoon every now and again so the berlingo should be ok im hoping.

Guess ill keep reading for the time being, just going on what whippy was talking about.
Thanks given by:
I've got an after market one that's decat and both boxes have baffles in... I want to take them out but if your fancy swapping... Its a power flex system.
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2013, 10:09 AM)Just Sean Wrote: I've got an after market one that's decat and both boxes have baffles in... I want to take them out but if your fancy swapping... Its a power flex system.

That may be a good option mate, as I said the back box has seen better days but it doesnt matter as its got pipe welded through it.

Hmmm

Theres pics if it in my project thread
Thanks given by:
Chesterfield is 3 hours away. Would you want to meet halfway?
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2013, 10:14 AM)Just Sean Wrote: Chesterfield is 3 hours away. Would you want to meet halfway?

Yeah mate we'd have to, its just finding a place where we can do it.
Thanks given by:
=/

Does it hang properly? Its the same size as mine... 3.5" exit too.

Pics on my project if you wanna look
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2013, 10:21 AM)Just Sean Wrote: =/

Does it hang properly? Its the same size as mine... 3.5" exit too.

Pics on my project if you wanna look

It wants the hangers moving on the back box a bit, with it being off an estate I had to modify it to fit but should only take half an hour to sort.
Thanks given by:
I know I have a HDI downpipe also been emptied out
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
Tbh. I think we should forget it. Bit of a logistical nightmare Tbf ...
Thanks given by:
Dude I have my old one on back garden under the snow. Only been decatted. Middle box was good. Back box from Sutton auto factors has down pipe so looks hidden.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mate ill buy the system off of you and you can buy a standard one? Orrrrr you can have my system apart from the back box because I took my off, put one off a gti6 on (I weren't on the forum when I done this! Tongue) and my back box is a bit corroded. Compromise somewhere? Does your system sit right now?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
Is this thread FOR REAL?

Your going to just stangle a stage 2 hdi with a tiny pipe to stop it slipping the clutch?!

Just get it mapped again if you cant afford to clutch it, all your pipe will do is make the motor overheat, ra*e the turbo, and just ra*e everything in general, and wont do mpg any good either, no offence but this is one of the most lolworthy things ive read all week!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I wasnt on about keeping the cat and standard boxes darren, just wanted to double/single mid box one instead of my 100% straight through stainless.
It will have a new clutch when it goes in the new shell but wanna make sure it lasts.

And dazza im not sure whats happening with it atm, im not bothered about a standard exhaust anymore as it wont fit the new shell so im gonna wait it out and get one fabbed up I think.
Plus kentiiboii has dibbs on the stainless
Thanks given by:
And I have second dibs ninja cash waiting remember whistle
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
^^ thats right, I didnt forget.

Like I say plans may have changed so you may be in with a shot.
Thanks given by:
Itll be nice to have a full exhaust system again lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(29-03-2013, 01:00 AM)Oil-burner Wrote: ^^ thats right, I didnt forget.

Like I say plans may have changed so you may be in with a shot.

Nope no plans changed still defferbtky want the system... waiting for this Smile

Text me this ninja stuff anyway.
Ive guessed some of it anyway
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Agreed with Darren, the most silly thing I've heard all week!!!

Get a reduced torque map that allows you to rev the engine harder for the power...

Changing the exhaust to fix clutch problems is like leaving the handbrake on to stop you exceeding the speed limit... It's an arse about face way of solving the problem, if you don't want the torque coming in fast, adjust the torque limiter map - that's what it's there for...

Or ask your mapper to...

Or do the proper thing, and just put a proper clutch on.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wheel swap compomotives (not intrested in standard wheels) dr_jekyll 3 842 02-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Last Post: dr_jekyll
  Wanted standard exhaust, swap for stainless cat back Ryan@306 8 1,865 06-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Ryan@306