intake air temp...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
intake air temp...
So on my scan gauge it measures the intake air temps, question is, where is it measured from!

I thought it was in the air intake near the maf, but Danny said it was after the turbo, which makes since as after a rag and I park up the temp rises a good bit...

Just after clarification really!
Thanks given by:
I'd love to know where it takes the reading from :lol :
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Intake air temp sensor is built into the MAF sensor. Smile
Thanks given by:
Don't get it jonny?

So how cone it tries afte I've ragged it and I'm resting it. Wen from 1° to 8° the other day...

And it was 2° outside
Thanks given by:
It's Peugeot so it's probably broken
Thanks given by:
When you park up the engine heat 'soaks' it. Before that its getting tonnes of cold air sucked through it.
Thanks given by:
I meant if it's post turbo, there's no sensors to pick it up from.

Also the temperature should tell you it's pre turbo, post turbo would be much higher Big Grin

Interesting though, I didn't know there was a temp sensor..

Thanks given by:
(15-01-2013, 08:54 PM)Toms306 Wrote: When you park up the engine heat 'soaks' it. Before that its getting tonnes of cold air sucked through it.

Okay. Just weird that it hasn't done it before the turbo change. Cheers tom!
Thanks given by:
Its defo taken from the MAF.

When your driving especially if your going fast / have a good cold air feed it will read lower than the ambient temp because of what is effectively the wind chill factor.

The temp will rise when you stop because of heat soak under the bonnet.

Oh and If you have a good FMIC and drive fast I reckon you could get inlet temps down well below freezing on a 1-3*C day like weve had recently. My Inlet manifold is genuinely substantially colder than the ambient air after a long motorway drive. Really need to get myself an inlet temp sensor.
Thanks given by:
Yeah it has been dum, been about 2 - 3° and I've been getting readings as low as -2°

But would fmic be the same... As its still getting wind chill
Thanks given by:
(15-01-2013, 09:11 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: I meant if it's post turbo, there's no sensors to pick it up from.

Also the temperature should tell you it's pre turbo, post turbo would be much higher Big Grin

Interesting though, I didn't know there was a temp sensor..

MAF needs a temp to work with, as air density changes etc - basically if you were at the top of a mountain (quite likely with where you live!) theres still the same amount of air through the MAF BUT its much thinner so needs less fuel in the cylinder. Essentially thats why the IAT is built into the MAF afaik.

(15-01-2013, 09:19 PM)Just Sean Wrote:
(15-01-2013, 08:54 PM)Toms306 Wrote: When you park up the engine heat 'soaks' it. Before that its getting tonnes of cold air sucked through it.

Okay. Just weird that it hasn't done it before the turbo change. Cheers tom!

No problem, I did a lot of quite anal research on MAF for my college Golf project lol. lol
Thanks given by:
The MAF air is pre turbo and pre cooler. depending on how much heat your turbo is adding the FMIC will make it even colder.

I tested the heat drop across the FMIC on the 'state ant it was pretty huge IIRC. Ill test it at the weekend on this and see what the difference is.
Thanks given by:
(15-01-2013, 09:46 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I did quite a lot of anal research for my college project lol. lol

Lolwhut? lmao

Thanks given by:
(15-01-2013, 09:47 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(15-01-2013, 09:46 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I did quite a lot of anal research for my college project lol. lol

Lolwhut? lmao

Not research into anal! Research into MAF which ended making me sound as anal as Ed....
Thanks given by:
(15-01-2013, 09:46 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I did a lot of quite anal research on MAF for my college

OMG, I knew youd admit it eventually
Thanks given by:
(15-01-2013, 09:46 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: The MAF air is pre turbo and pre cooler. depending on how much heat your turbo is adding the FMIC will make it even colder.

I tested the heat drop across the FMIC on the 'state ant it was pretty huge IIRC. Ill test it at the weekend on this and see what the difference is.

Excuse me for being being thick, but the maf is in the intake and the fmic is a different system...

Why would the intake temp differ from the fmic readings?
Thanks given by:
Umm, youre being very thick! Grill intake - airbox - turbo - FMIC - inlet mani.

Same system. Wink
Thanks given by:
The MAF is just after the air filter and takes the temp there. The air passes through it and then through the turbo that warms it up and then the FMIC that cools it down and also alot of piping and eventually the manifold that can either warm it up or cool it down depending on heat soak and the ambient conditions.

The temp at the back of the inlet valves could be completely different to that at the MAF
Thanks given by:
I need a diagram!!

So the cold air that goes through the air filtwr goes to the turbo through the intercooler? Or is the intercooler and air intake both go to the inlet?

So it goes air intake < turbo < fmic < inlet Mani then its in the engine
Thanks given by:
Youve got to be taking the piss, you dont have the brain to be allowed my turbo.

Outside > air filter > MAF > Turbo > FMIC > Inlet Manifold > Engine

each > indicates a bit of pipe.
Thanks given by:
What Dum siad!
Thanks given by:
Sorry sorry sorry I'm so sorry!

Tbf I said the same route as you! Just used different arrows! :p

I'm just tired/ confused myself lol
Thanks given by:
Sean please go and do some research for your own sake. We all want to help here, but your knowledge does seem to be lacking a tad Big Grin

Go and do some background research..

Thanks given by:
(15-01-2013, 10:00 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Go and do some background research..

Hardly necessary, just follow the pipes with your finger in the bay. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Wow cheers mate!
Thanks given by:
Don't take it the wrong way buddy, I'm not trying to cause any argument, but these are things you really should know IMO if you're building up a hybrid turbo'ed HDi.

Thanks given by:
I did know. I put the route up. If I had the car I'd have seen. I'm not thick and don't appreciate the comment!

I was just being curious as to the location of the sensor and got confused when dum said about the cooler.

And tbh I'm learning a lot of things as I go further and read more and ask more.

This is my first diesel. My first turbocharged car. And apart from my 1.2 carb'd nova my first big project.
Thanks given by:
Hey tom do you like your new title.
Thanks given by:
Wheres the 'well, that escalated quickly' meme? Think we need it! Confused

Haha Dum, cheers for that! lmao
Thanks given by:
[Image: e31.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intake temp and Exhaust temp sensors? JTaylor2005 5 2,408 26-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005