Windows fogging/steaming up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows fogging/steaming up
The car has been lying up a few weeks, went for a drive the other day and couldnt see anything! No matter how long i left the heaters on or drove with the windows down it wouldn't clear. I put it in the shed with a de-humidifier and it didnt sort it, anyone any ideas?
Thanks given by:
Must be wet inside...
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
It doesnt feel wet...
Thanks given by:
does it smell?

Thanks given by:
No damp carpets/seats or anything?

Thanks given by:
Check all the carpets both front and rear, check see if the back bench is wet also under it
Thanks given by:
Mines always condensated, its a combination of the blower motor not working....and a boot full of water due to a nice rusty hole in it...

[Image: 306HoleyRearArch038.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nope doesnt smell, must check under the rear bench now!
Thanks given by:
Maybe your heater matrix has gone and its blowing steam onto your windscreen? :p

Also it demists waay better if you actually get out the car lol sounds weird but i guess without someone breathing in there it helps.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Cracking a window helps too.

Just check everywhere for damp, even under the carpet at the front, might have seeped under

Thanks given by:
Nope its got a real good heater and water level is all good so its rain water getting in :/
Thanks given by:
(11-01-2013, 12:12 PM)Tom Wrote: Maybe your heater matrix has gone and its blowing steam onto your windscreen? :p

Also it demists waay better if you actually get out the car lol sounds weird but i guess without someone breathing in there it helps.

Thats a brilliant idea, why didn't I think of driving from outside the car.... lol

Banananananalad, have you got a stripped rear? If not, check the boot carpet...
Thanks given by:
I thought the de-humidifier would have got most of it!

Toms306306030630603, my rear is fully operational, might pull out all the seats to give it a good clean anyway!
Thanks given by:
Carpets stay wet for ages though, even if you have dehumidified it.

Alternatively, get someone to water the car with a hose (or wait for decent rain) and watch where any leaks come in. Also, don't forget if you're wet (damp coat for example) thats putting moisture into the car which will cling to the cold windows.

A little tmi about your rear mate, wish mine was operational...... Confused But seriously, if you havent checked the rear inner arch, I would urge you too...
Thanks given by:
There is no damp ANYWHERE inside the car, possible its behind the dash or somewhere? Its literally impossible to see through the glass!
Thanks given by:
I'm agreeing with tom on this one
As much as it feels dry even poking prodding then carpet still feels dry. I can almost guarantee that it will be wet and sodden underneath
Although I'm not entirely sure if it being put up for a couple of weeks is enough
I done as you said and left a shit load of damp traps and left a heater on in the car and thought it was fine it felt it and so on
Upon removing all the carpet the underlay was still soaked through not only did it weigh a ton I was completely not expecting is as I was sure it was dry
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hmmm i see.. I was just thinking i had a leaky matrix in my other 306 and used to drive around with at least a gallon of water on the passenger floor and it never did it lol
Thanks given by:
Lifted carpets and its bone dry....
Thanks given by:
I had a leak behind the speedo, check your drivers carpet.
I found someone with a power washer directing it at the windscreen would make it leak.
Thanks given by:
Heaters onto feet and drive it for a bit and see if the carpets end up wet. Alternatively, you havent done something like reupholster the roof lining have you? They are quite porous and designed to actually help stop condensation. Since ive had my black roof lining in, ive had issues with windows clearing.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
There has to be water in there some where , its a case of find it now lol Tongue

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(11-01-2013, 07:40 PM)puglove Wrote: There has to be water in there some where , its a case of find it now lol Tongue

This...

Have you checked that rear arch yet lol?
Thanks given by:
(11-01-2013, 12:17 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(11-01-2013, 12:12 PM)Tom Wrote: Maybe your heater matrix has gone and its blowing steam onto your windscreen? :p

Thats a brilliant idea, why didn't I think of driving from outside the car.... lol

Yeah haha funny smart ass Wink Once the screen has cleared its alot harder to steam it up but if you keep breathing on it whilst your trying to demist its alot worse. Hence if your not breathing its easier to de mist Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Went for a drive there to get the car warm to put on the heaters, the car filled up with steam lol I thought it was on fire for a minutes! Like a sauna! Nope roof lining is standard, leaving it running for awhile with all the heaters on to see will that sort it..
Thanks given by:
Ok try this, turn the fans off and put the heater on full hot, and also the direction to just dashboard, then sit and watch and see if any steam is rising out the vents. Also have a look under your scuttle to check your not sucking in water.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
filled with steam??
sounds like a pin hole in heater matrix..... unless water is getting in through the matrix hole and boiling off it....
another one to check is sunroof drains, make sure theyre clear
Thanks given by:
(11-01-2013, 11:37 PM)Tom Wrote:
(11-01-2013, 12:17 PM)Toms306 Wrote:

Yeah haha funny smart ass Wink Once the screen has cleared its alot harder to steam it up but if you keep breathing on it whilst your trying to demist its alot worse. Hence if your not breathing its easier to de mist Smile

Hold your breath. Wink Or crack a window open lol.
Thanks given by:
Im asthmatic so holding my breathe ends badly haha
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
That'll be your matrix. Ballache of a job! However I can do it, £155 all inclusive.
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2013, 03:58 PM)KrisB Wrote: That'll be your matrix. Ballache of a job! However I can do it, £155 all inclusive.

Thats a damn good price!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by: