fmic :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fmic :)
Hi all,

Sorry i'm pretty sure this question has been asked alot..

I want to fit a fmic to my currently stage 1 hdi. i have slimline fans ready to go in place, and i want the intercooler to be sat behind the bumper as neatly as possible i.e. no cutting the bumper etc and for the pipework to be fairly un-noticeable...

Any ideas on intercoolers that i can get without going 'aftermarket'? Didnt know if there were any fairly large and efficient ones off other vehicles/trucks?

Cheers!
Thanks given by:
Have a look at the megane dci(whatever there diesels are)

They are normally pretty good fit
Also lots of the jag diesels have a good fitting intercooler.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Saab are generally good. And I think midnight club has one from a ford St.
Thanks given by:
just having a quick look on google images, and these seem to have the inlet/outlet coming from 'behind' the intercooler, surely i would need them to come in and out of the side because of space?
Thanks given by:
What's the problem with going aftermarket?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Most of the above are good suggestions, although the one from a ford st has the ports in a really awkward place to try and plumb in - point straight at the chassis legs lol.

There's a couple from the smaller iveco trucks that fit well There's a lot of room to play with though, i've helped someone fit a saab one and that was bloody huge. There are some more good ones you can get from non-commercial renaults in general, tbh anything that fits will do. Spend some time down a scrappy with a tape measure, easiest way.

I would guess he doesn't want to go after market for the same reasons as me - they're more expensive new, if you want a decent one they're very expensive, i want to keep it looking sleeper, etc.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
There are probably plenty that fit but it's waiting for the right ones to turn up at a reasonable price, or finding them when looking around.

The BMW intercoolers seem pretty good. Long, vertically short, and fairly wide, but I think end tanks are often canted in a bit at the ends so you'd have to measure to be sure it'd work right. I looked at those a lot at first.
They also tend to be ~ £80 on eBay usually... unless you go scrapper hunting, but again it's time/money to go looking and maybe not find them.

Also OEM might tend to have funny sized unions, erring away from the common sizes you can buy after-market pipes to fit.

I tried finding all sorts (and bought all sorts), but when I saw people buying intercoolers new that just fit and having their car finished before I even had half my pipes (and plenty bought and was sent the wrong ones from scrappers!), I gave in and just spent £110 on a new FMIC and within a few weeks had an FMIC on my car hehe.

Kudos to those who do find bits and make a system fit but in the end you need to be getting your intercooler for sub £50 to make it worth it vs a £100 new one, simply because of the time/hassle of finding ones and making sure they fit, or buying extras in connections/bends to make them fit nicely.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Yeah thanks Poodle, thats pretty much why i dont want to go aftermarket, and the availability of a replacement if needed... i've been looking on google images and none of the intercoolers from various cars seem to come up with the inlets/outlets on the sides? I've also heard about iveco intercoolerr so quite interested in this,

Anyone know of any scrappers around the Peterborough area where you can walk around (and measure intercoolers Wink )?
Thanks given by:
hi there people i want to fit a fmic i have got a focus st 2006 2.5t intercooler to fit on will this be ok ?? i have bought a 2.0hdi 2001 306?
Thanks given by:
As said a few posts up:

(10-01-2013, 03:23 PM)Poodle Wrote: Most of the above are good suggestions, although the one from a ford st has the ports in a really awkward place to try and plumb in - point straight at the chassis legs lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I know you dont want Aftermarket, but... this would be ideal for you from what you'v said. just give it a coat of matt black. will look much more OE

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMALL-TwinPass...3371d46f8f

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
When I was looking for coolers I came across the punto hijet/arbarth one on ebay, look spot on ports to the sides, long, thick and not all that tall!
If I hadnt got this twinpass for £25 I wound have bought one.
Seem to be going for around £20-30 on ebay
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
here you go Tongue

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fiat-punto-gt-...337f377f5c

Thanks given by:
More like this one

item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=261072503251&index=15&nav=SEARCH&nid=82040030646
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Saw a good single-pass one at work yesterday on a Nissan Cabstar, look a bit expensive on ebay though... Confused
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
hi there im new to this site so any help would be nicee i also am looking to fit a fmic but to start off not 2 bothered if it in front or behind the bumper i have got a focus st 2.5t intercooler will this be ok ??
are they easy to do and does any 1 no were i can get it chipet and dump valved for cheap many thank piggyturbo

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
I'll give you a few pointers mate.

To front mount you need a 406 inlet elbow and a c5 HDI lower pipe, and a 41mm to 45mm legged bend to go onto the Turbo, although some folk have used different pipes. Then you need some piping and silicone joins.

Check some of the threads on here for routing. There are a few awkward parts to the job. Your best taking the air con out, removing the standard Turbo pipe is a pita (I cut mine out).

You'll also need a uprated clutch. You may want to blank off the egr whilst the elbows off, and forget the chip, your best getting a remap, do some research in the HDI section. You will easily work out what you want to do

Arron

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
For chips and dumpvalves try chavtard.com, they also supply these which should be ideal for your project: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TWIN-AIR-UNIVE...2579571568
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(17-01-2013, 08:05 AM)Poodle Wrote: For chips and dumpvalves try chavtard.com, they also supply these which should be ideal for your project: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TWIN-AIR-UNIVE...2579571568

lmao harsh but fair

Thanks given by:
haha ^^ cheers guys, I'm looking into it a bit more and I'll let you know what I finish up with! I'll maybe put a project thread up soon with what I've done etc, but its very slow progress thats why I havent yet :p
Thanks given by:
Couldn't resist... Itwasntme

Good luck with your research bud, look forward to seeing a project thread.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Actually laughed out loud when I saw it :/ haha

Cheers Smile I will put one up when I have an intercooler purchased then it may look like quicker progress on the thread Wink I know of a few scrap cars off the road that I may check out for intercooler sizing etc,

btw - is there any way of getting an idea of the effiency of the intercooler after the map? i.e. does it affect torque etc much or not dependant on the cooler?
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2013, 10:45 AM)W1ll Wrote: Actually laughed out loud when I saw it :/ haha

Cheers Smile I will put one up when I have an intercooler purchased then it may look like quicker progress on the thread Wink I know of a few scrap cars off the road that I may check out for intercooler sizing etc,

btw - is there any way of getting an idea of the effiency of the intercooler after the map? i.e. does it affect torque etc much or not dependant on the cooler?

Your thinking into it wayyyyy to much!

As long as it isnt stupidly big or stupidly small it will do its job and do it well

Thanks given by:
(17-01-2013, 05:25 PM)puglove Wrote:
(17-01-2013, 10:45 AM)W1ll Wrote: Actually laughed out loud when I saw it :/ haha

Your thinking into it wayyyyy to much!

As long as it isnt stupidly big or stupidly small it will do its job and do it well

Ok lol Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Ok, i know i said not aftermarket, but struggling! Will this suit do you think? http://www.toyosports.co.uk/fmic-ffront-...-605-p.asp
Thanks given by:
That looks good fella, will do the job fine.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Looks fine but they're the same but cheaper on ebay
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by: