Engine Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine Questions
Just got a few questions that have still got me scratching my head.

1. First one, when picking my engine apart, noticed that only one cylinder has these hook shape attachments. I've got no idea, what they are/purpose/ why there is only two of them?

2. Cracked valve seats. Is it worth pumping money and effort into a head with cracks? I'm sure it will still work fine, just wondering if it would be worth sourcing a new head!

3. Removing HDI rods. From the comfort of my shed removing the rods was fine, but whilst Jonny and I were at the scrap yard the other day, we hit a bit of a problem. Does the crankshaft need to be removed to drop them out?
Thanks given by:
1 - There thrust bearings, take up side to side slop on the crank, there a wearing part / should be replaced ideally...They take side load from the clutch release bearing etc...

2 - I cant see any cracks on that head other than a few around the pre cups which is perfectly normal for a used head tbh..

3 - The rods will come out the top, might just be a bit tight getting rings past the "lip"
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Big Grin I wondered when this thread would surface...

The cracks are between the valve seats, two of them on each cylinder..

And the rods won't come out of the top with the head still bolted on lol
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
They ain't no cracks Wink

That's the steel insert Peugeot put on later cylinder heads to STOP them cracking between the valve seats, earlier heads do not have those steel inserts and crack VERY easily between the seats...

If you can't get the head off, definitely a crank out job.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
concerns me a bit that he is rebuilding his engine but doesnt know what a thrust bearing is?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Lol there not cracks....as Ruan said!

Why cant head come off?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2013, 10:45 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: concerns me a bit that he is rebuilding his engine but doesnt know what a thrust bearing is?!

Why? It's the best way to learn, get stuck in!
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Ok, cheers for the info!

The head can come off, just wondering if there was an easier way to save time/effort Smile

(09-01-2013, 10:45 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: concerns me a bit that he is rebuilding his engine but doesnt know what a thrust bearing is?!

Relax, one little bit I'm not sure on and it aint exactly obvious lol
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2013, 11:03 PM)c.gerrard Wrote: The head can come off, just wondering if there was an easier way to save time/effort Smile

I reckon we'll be quicker dropping the 'box off, then flywheel and crank
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
angle grinder.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Head off is quicker... Seriously...

If it's a scrapyard, just go in with cutters a-blazin, snip everything to do it...

If you have any issues with the lip, you simply won't get them out the bottom, nothing to smash on, remember it's a sump off, oil pump off, main bolts out (FOOKING tight), conrod bolts out, crank out, oil squirters out, then yank them out the bottom with no way of being able to force from above...

Can't you get the whole engine?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Me and ben got his rods / pistons out using the handle end of a rubber mallet (has a rubber handle too) and just tapped on the bottom of the rod and it Came out pretty easily.

Head off is definitely the easiest way to do it though.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Few engine related questions Danaidh 15 2,889 22-11-2015, 08:27 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  engine rebuild questions blinkyeatu 1 1,319 03-03-2015, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Dave
  306 1.9 TD DTurbo XUD9 engine replace questions ECU shazilla 33 13,377 09-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Last Post: shazilla