santa pod, DT vs. TDI

Poll: who will win..
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
GT2052 Dturbo
68.42%
13 68.42%
ibiza cupra tdi 160
31.58%
6 31.58%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
santa pod, DT vs. TDI
I know people get slated for this sort of thing, but I just want an opinion on this, I don't want to go ahead with it if I'm going to get destroyed.. Just a bit of fun!

I'm going to Santa pod in the coming months, mate wants to race his Ibiza PD160 against my DT, I've never been in one so don't know what they are like!

His is standard (160hp), mine is gov modded, 9mm, GT2052 at ~20psi, maybe fmic by then but for now stick with tmic.

I'm not sure whether to do it, don't want to break mine for a start. Think my main advantage would be less weight.

Any opinions? Am I going to be left behind do you think? Don't want to make his ego even bigger lol
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
IF his is standard you may have a slight edge. His VNT would give him better useable power though
Could be interesting
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That should be a pretty interesting race tbh, as the Ibiza has a VNT turbo, a decent 6 speed 'box, and more power and torque to start with.... BUT they weigh so much, about 1200kg iirc, well thats the same as a MK4 Golf or a 306 estate!

I reckon he'd still pull away from you on the straights though....
Thanks given by:
what weight is the 306?
Thanks given by:
All depends on the start, I reckon you can get the edge from the line as a dt can launch extremely well if you dont mind torturing the clutch.
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
If you can launch well, you'll tear him a new one - it's the last 1/8th where you'll struggle if there's any struggle to be had...

My K14'd DT would tear 170 TDis a new hole off the line...

Just be prepared to control the power in 1st and as soon as you hit second, you'll probably sail past with the tyres screaming for mercy...

Just gotta keep on the power and pray it's not totally heatsoaked by the end and make sure you pull enough of a lead...

Just make sure you really hold onto 2nd and make sure you don't bog it into 3rd, if you f*ck up 2nd to 3rd, you're a gonner.. My recommendation is go out and try launches somewhere secluded, then get a ride in his, see what you think, you'll probably be sorely disappointed by it, I've been in 150TDis after driving my DT and thought WTAF is this!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
He'll probably do you in his easy-to-drive lady car.

You've won before either car has turned a wheel though - VAG cars are shit cars for those incapable of thinking for themselves. (swift generalisation)
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Have you ever raced up Santa Pod? Has your mate?

Experience can win far more races than who's got more power.
I've seen modified twin turbo RX-7's loose to standard Mk2 Golfs before because one guy can't drive.
Thanks given by:
Well by then it will either be on meth injection or fmic. Don't mind torturing the clutch, its a solid 4 paddle so its nice and snappy off the line.

I don't mind losing as such, but I work with him and he will go on and on, he's the sort of person who will pay someone else to do work on his car, he doesnt even know how to fit a panel filter! So at the end of day if I even come close to his I will be happy because I have built my car and have something to be proud of, unless the turbo blows half way down lol.

Do the PD's have power right round the rev range?

(08-01-2013, 03:51 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: Have you ever raced up Santa Pod? Has your mate?

Experience can win far more races than who's got more power.
I've seen modified twin turbo RX-7's loose to standard Mk2 Golfs before because one guy can't drive.

No, but I'm pretty sure I can launch better than him, and I will practice beforehand, he won't.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2013, 03:58 PM)Ricky Wrote: Do the PD's have power right round the rev range?

Well unless they've made a drastic turbo change since the older 130/150PD......I doubt it! Even VNT lags when you go for a bigger turbo (albeit not as bad as non vnt)........ But the 6 speed box makes it easier to keep in the powerband. They do run out of puff in each gear quick though as the redline is about 4.5k, where yours is probably closer to 5.5k in the XUD? So depends how good your mate is at gearchanges (and how good his synchro's are!) as well.

Infact, iirc, they use the GT1749VB on the PD160 - which is the same as the 150 golf (the turbo I upgraded too).

So similar weight and a little more power (although Im sure the 160 will have a better map) to the Golf....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1B-VyeYiwY

Oh but just incase they use the non-laggy GT1749VA (130 turbo) - its much better bottom end! (Theres radio on this vid though, turn it down lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFLZJeIKYQ0
Thanks given by:
You'll be able to change gear faster because all VAG stuff the gearbox is horrific, the power band I'd say will be pretty similar, I'd say you'll have as much power as him, it's just if he gets the better of you if you have a wanky launch...

I'd say the 306 is faster... Whether or not it's faster up the strip with the fleshy bit driving it, who knows...

From the sounds of it, it sounds like the guy will sit with the traction control on and just mince up the strip..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jysfgEg9njw

Doesn't look quick at all..
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
for a moment i thought, bloody hell that ibiza can shift...then realised the speedo was in KPH not MPH...fail
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2013, 04:49 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: for a moment i thought, bloody hell that ibiza can shift...then realised the speedo was in KPH not MPH...fail

Haha, same here........50 in 1st!? Confused Then realised... lol
Thanks given by:
When it gets to about 50 it dies a death..
Thanks given by:
50 is about 80kph yeah? Thats where he changes to 4th which is crap tbh, anything after 3rd starts getting too long for better efficiency in the 02M 'box I found.

Edit - Hang on, just watched it again as that seemed wrong, and thats only 3rd, dunno why it dropped so much there then! Confused
Thanks given by:
I demolished a lard arse insignia 160bhp cdti with my dturb when it had a wanky little k14 that was cooking itself over 30psi. Granted the vaux weighed around 1500 odd kg, but the heatsoak on mine then was comical and it still couldn't get away. On a wrung out stock turbo, id say defo no. but with your setup, perfect the launch and as mentioned dont cock up 2-3 or bog and I think you'd have him, just (if he does a gd launch/change). Mine has a dodgy linkage whereby if I tried to change too fast and not properly go through the gate, it wouldn't go into 3rd. So practice away!

I'd be more worried about popping a hose for prolonged wot so as long as its all good, go for it. If it was me, I'd up the boost whistle
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
I reckon it'll be close, I wouldn't like to call it.

When you going, if it's the 20th I'll see you there.
Thanks given by:
Won't be until about March time that I will be going, i've only just put the car together, needs to last at least another month before I break it!

Can't up the boost above 20psi, I hit 22psi and it didn't sound right at all! Like a loud high pitched whistle, maybe air leaking or something.. Also don't want to overspeed the little thing Smile

To be honest, he is all talk, I doubt he will even turn up, and if by some miracle he does turn up, and loses, I doubt he would go back to the car park, he would just go straight home, or to the nearest place to get it mapped..
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
FMIC, decent boost pipe clamps and 25psi ftw.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2013, 06:51 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: FMIC, decent boost pipe clamps and 25psi ftw.

Is really pushing it on a GT series as pellow would tell you

You do need so much on the newer GT series turbos
Thanks given by:
yeah just had same thought when I realise he was running the GT. FMIC would help mind
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Not necessarily if you keep them nice and efficient. Which I by the maps shouldn't be too hard they won't be needed
Thanks given by:
The only problem with the TMIC, especially at santa pod, is waiting for my run, it's going to heat soak like a bugger!
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
^^^^exactly...but then theres not exactly great airflow to a FMIC when your sat still
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2013, 03:14 PM)Toms306 Wrote: That should be a pretty interesting race tbh, as the Ibiza has a VNT turbo, a decent 6 speed 'box, and more power and torque to start with.... BUT they weigh so much, about 1200kg iirc, well thats the same as a MK4 Golf or a 306 estate!

I reckon he'd still pull away from you on the straights though....

I agree, and I think you'd pull away on the twisty's... What with Santa Pod being very, err, not straight...? Itwasntme
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2013, 07:02 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: ^^^^exactly...but then theres not exactly great airflow to a FMIC when your sat still

just throw some ice on it just before you go. cool it down nicely!
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
(08-01-2013, 07:02 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: ^^^^exactly...but then theres not exactly great airflow to a FMIC when your sat still

Yeah but it's not being cooked by the engine..
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2013, 07:04 PM)Ricky Wrote:

Yeah but it's not being cooked by the engine..

To be fair there isn't great airflow to ANYTHING when you are still.

What I'll be doing in the next few day (jamma done something similar) is because o have dewipered the rear just route the rubber pipe to the front of the car to the intercooler for a spray to see if it will do anything
Thanks given by:
Say your car is 1100KG and 150hp and a PD160 Curpa is 1200 and 160hp...

Using any quarter mile calculator that would say you SHOULD win... Reality is often different, but I'd put money on you being a bit more than 150hp...
Thanks given by:
^^This, if it's anything like my blower it should pull pretty well in gear, i'd be expecting yours to be revvier anyway
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone else got secret santa for work colleagues? MCH 5 1,325 06-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Last Post: RetroPug
  306 Spotted Fast Show Santa Pod Lwilliams 0 812 24-03-2014, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Lwilliams
  santa pod USC for birthday. the milkman 6 1,832 15-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Last Post: chrisrallye