VNT control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VNT control
(08-01-2013, 07:12 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Cos if it was good everyone would use it.

Errrrrr.....

Have you actually seen it?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I could only find US links to that arduino board/kit and it was like $600!!!!

I be happy to go that route if it was cheaper.

Just out of wonderment... if you use a basic setup as described further up...W terminal etc...how would you regulate the boost?

(08-01-2013, 10:41 AM)Ruan Wrote:
(08-01-2013, 07:12 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Cos if it was good everyone would use it.

Errrrrr.....

Have you actually seen it?

It way above my geek level but sent it to a proper geek mate and he was rather impressed and said it made sense
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Obviously you'd have a max load from the W terminal to take into account, but if the black boxes can be calibrated to work off the range of readings the W terminal puts out it should be sufficient. Would basically be like having a MAP sensor on more modern motors, it's just a voltage at the end of the day
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Are the black boxes controlled by Canbus though?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yep, that should work.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
or an external wastegate? Wink
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The black boxes themselves just rely on input voltages from the ECU, so even if they were Canbus motors it doesn't matter, all you get is basically a stepper motor that you can power however you want
Thanks given by:
And completely remove the reason for having a VNT turbo...

Great.
Thanks given by:
^^^^^good point! lol

basically...need to rummage round scrappies for a "blackbox" actuator and give it a test....
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
i was gonna say get a turbo but aye, actuator alone may be cheaper lmao
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mercedes-c-cla...4ac01a7572

Gt1852v ninja

Vnts the next td04? Meh, who knows! Someone try this!
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
yeah I spotted that...

nice new avatar mr spellowe!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The black boxes are basically just an electric servo, x volts equals y movement. They're on ebay for about 20-30 iirc.
Thanks given by:
On the inside yes, CANBUS on the outside...
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2013, 05:29 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: The black boxes are basically just an electric servo, x volts equals y movement. They're on ebay for about 20-30 iirc.

This is very much not the case, if you took it apart and connected directly to the unit then yes, but it interfaces on CAN, so deffo not just a case of applying x volts, and even if you connect it directly, its still very much not a case of just applying x volts!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
someone so needs to rig one up
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2013, 06:53 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: someone so needs to rig one up

Go for it Smile Should be interesting
Thanks given by:
Theres only about 3-5 wires on the bloody things. How hard can it be. It'll only be the usual 5 or 12 volts so it'll have a 5v in a signal in and an earth and probably a check circuit.
Thanks given by:
Very, you evidently don't understand canbus!
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2013, 11:28 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Theres only about 3-5 wires on the bloody things. How hard can it be. It'll only be the usual 5 or 12 volts so it'll have a 5v in a signal in and an earth and probably a check circuit.

Now i dont know anything about VNT but what i do know is if its canbus like ruan is saying, you have no clue with what your talking about chris and it will fail if you just try to apply earth and 12v to it.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Think of canbus like a ethernet network...thats the level it runs on essentially....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I have no idea about ehternet however if youve looked about for wiring diagrams theres alot of good info

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-614.html

quote from post 10
Quote:Pin 1 is 12V, pin 2 is ground, pin 4 is the PWM signal.
Thanks given by:
You find that precise actuator, I know that Actuator came on VERY few vehicles... The VAST majority are Canbus.

And even so, now you're at EXACTLY the same point I was at with my controller, PWM signal, and guaranteed just like an N75 valve, it will run at 140hz - which if you even look through that thread, they're ALSO having issues with...

With regards to CANBUS:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1246]

That's just for the Holset ones, and every other one is different...
Thanks given by:
So if someone was to produce a cheap vnt control box! Would there be a big market for it?
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2013, 10:06 PM)Jonny b Wrote: So if someone was to produce a cheap vnt control box! Would there be a big market for it?

i like your thinking, wouldnt say big though, i recon you could sell 20 is off the back of launch
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Jonny there wouldnt be a big market for it and there is cheap control boards out there in the way of audino (sp) and theyer not very good.
Thanks given by:
Pah 20 ain't shit! I need my own product
Being a manufacturer profit margins are small making everyone else's shit
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Probably yes, however each engine will want it doing differently, it's such a mish-mash of parts that nothing will ever be standard, so unless the software running it is 100% flexible and programmable, it'd be very difficult to make "sales"... If it was developed for ONE engine, you'd barely sell any, there's already one that's pretty much designed for TDIs, you could easily adapt it to XUDs, but it does require you arsing about finding parts...

As said, there's a bloke who's released code for his one, using the same controller I use on mine, I've looked through the code and as I think I've said before, the code isn't the cleanest, lots of commented out stuff from testing and lines left in from testing that aren't in use... It's not the easiest code to debug, but for what most people want, it's perfect... The only thing that would need to be made is a driver board for the FETs to drive the Solenoid valve and buying a Hall sensor for the fly...

I don't know why people aren't using it though, seemingly using cables, springs and bodgery is better?
Thanks given by:
f*ck cables and springs, im going for pure bodgery!
Thanks given by:
What, T2 actuator shoved on or vac can converted to boost?

Welcome to either 25psi down the motorway, super high exhaust back pressure, surging whenever the throttle is poked and general overheating of the engine...

OR

You may as well have gotten a wastegate turbo...
Thanks given by: