Logging sensors through ODB

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logging sensors through ODB
Hi all,

I was wondering in what ways I could log data from sensors?

I have got a PP2000 clone and I was told there is a way to log sensors through Lexia if I select my model as a Xsara but I've not figured out how to get it to log from there. As anyone done this?

I also have an ELM327 tool but have found no free software to do this with that. I use to just use scantool.net to clear fault codes with it before I had PP2000.

Does the Galletto 1260 tool just read and write to the ECU or can it see live data as well?
I have one but not used it yet.

Has anyone one here done this or know other way to it?

Thanks.
Thanks given by:
PP2000 does log data, but I too have struggled to make it work as expected and log at a decent frequency (which is the most important bit!)

OBD can log, but you need software to do that. I use PCM Scan (paid for as it's so good imo)

I think Scan XL might be cheaper and less functional, not sure if you can log or just do real-time readouts... I can't remember now.

What sensors exactly do you want to log? Remember OBD and PP2000 don't log everything. OBD does quite a lot, PP2000 even more, but there are still sensor readouts missing in PP2000, ie, no raw values from many sensors, but it will show you calculated internal values.

Ie, I still have a multi-meter with RS232 serial output so I can log the multi-meter output to CSV and then convert the values in Excel to real values and correlate them with logged data from OBD etc.

Ie, log rpm on OBD > CSV via PCMScan and then log rail sensor via multi-meter.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Thanks for your reply Dave.

I thought it would have been possible to log all sensor through the OBD but I think you're right that a lot won't show up on the 306.

I was hoping that all sensors could be logged through the OBD for fault finding intermittent issues. By all I don't mean at the same time as I can't see all that data being able to be transmitted through the port.

Using a logging multimeter sounds like a good way to get data, I shall look into that.
Thanks given by:
We are quite lucky with the 306 because we get OBD support. The 206's of the same age don't... they didn't have to until 2004 iirc.

That said, when manufacturers HAD to offer OBD support on diesels from 2004 the support is usually better, so a few more sensors are covered, but still not all of them.

I've not invested any time into it yet, but afaik OBD is just an interface for PID addresses in ECU memory which are listed. In theory you might be able to query any address for any value and watch it... but it's finding the addresses hehe. I need to look into it more but it *might* be that you could check stuff like rail pressure etc via OBD.

Not sure about the Peugeot Planet values like IQ etc... they might be calculated in software, then again they might be internal values you could log... just need to test but it's finding the time.

Would be nice to be able to just log via generic OBD some of these values as PP is slow and painful to use sometimes.

Dave
Thanks given by:
PP shows values for requested rp and actual rp, I'd always assumed the former would be the calculated and the latter the sensor value..? No idea how to log directly from PP though, I'm not very good with computers. I can confirm the frequency of data isn't up to much on PP haha, enough for some fault-finding assistance imo though.

Had a look at the PCMscan and scanXL software, much as they look awesome i just can't justify it atm. Sad Definitely a necessity before i start with track days though.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I think requested RP has a good chance of being a value stored in a real address in the ECU data that other OBD values are referenced from...

I'm far from an expert on it all but I think OBD coverage is just a list of values exposed under the OBD standard (possibly headers on the values in the memory that OBD kit can scan and find!?)
It's likely that you can also just manually enter an address and get the value.

Ie, years ago a friend used to play Command and Conquer on LAN and he used to monitor money values in real time after finding the correct address, and often changed his money value haha... often we got sync errors in the game and it'd crash out, but I *think* OBD is just a set of advertised addresses, but in theory can enter it's own and look at other stuff.

OBD is still not that fast though...

If you can do one variable by OBD and then another via multi-meter logging you can combine in Excel later and get better performance from both. Ie, just one PID via OBD is maybe 5 samples a second which is pretty good... add one more and you get half speed, and so on.

Dave
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Logging? JTaylor2005 19 2,640 20-08-2015, 08:10 PM
Last Post: craig306
  1800 rail sensors the milkman 4 1,804 05-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Slam Wagon