rough starting hdi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rough starting hdi
hi guys, want to get to the bottom of the niggles on my hdi before it gets any worse. Basically when started from cold, it always starts first time but as it fires it kind of shakes for a moment with the revs bouncing up and down and after about 10 seconds, or if i give it any revs it will settle down alot.

general running from cold is still a bit jumpy and the engine sounds almost like a pulsing noise, even when accelerating. it is only when the car is warmed up that it begins to drive better.

now my injectors are very tappy, to the point that it sounds like a machine gun whenever you put the foot down lol, and when the car is completely cold ie first thing in the morning, there is quite a bit of grey smoke out the back until it heats up a bit.

thats all the symptoms i can think of if anyone has experienced similar or is more sure exactly what it is, any help would be great

cheers
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Unplug the maf and see if its any better.

Could be a thermostat problem too
Thanks given by:
yeah will do mate, although I thought the maf would make it sluggish which it definately isn't, but worth a go
Thanks given by:
Its worth a try!
Thanks given by:
Lift pump?
Thanks given by:
My car use to do this, it was worse in the winter when temperatures were below 3C and it was down to an injector, but they had done 280k miles. I replaced the set and it's been fine since.

I would suggest you do a leak off test on them.
Thanks given by:
Injectors are a massively important to a diesels running. Thats definitely where your problem is.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
leak off test would probably direct you in the area of the problem
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(30-12-2012, 11:46 PM)Tom Wrote: Injectors are a massively important to a diesels running. Thats definitely where your problem is.

Not being funny mate, but you dont know that, might want to be a bit more wary of making statements like that. In this case youre probably right, but what if the op spent 400 quid on refurbed injectors and it didnt make a difference...?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
i could do a leak off test, but i already have a set of 062 injectors from a berlingo with 50 odd thousand miles on them. the car is on 128k btw but no service history
Thanks given by:
(31-12-2012, 10:30 AM)Poodle Wrote:
(30-12-2012, 11:46 PM)Tom Wrote: Injectors are a massively important to a diesels running. Thats definitely where your problem is.

Not being funny mate, but you dont know that, might want to be a bit more wary of making statements like that. In this case youre probably right, but what if the op spent 400 quid on refurbed injectors and it didnt make a difference...?

Well then i'd be wrong. But the way the op has described it, it sounds like he needs new injectors Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Okay so next question...is it causing the engine any harm and is it better to change them before it gets a lot worse ?
Thanks given by:
It shouldn't be to bad for it but the uneven running of the injectors can cause a bit more stress on the crank and its bearings.

It's always best to fix issues as soon as impossible before they cause any more problems.
Thanks given by:
If my experience is anything to go by, you'll make your money back in the first year, just in what you'll save on fuel. The new tips and recalibrated bodies should be a lot more efficient than the old ones. How many miles have your current injectors done?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(01-01-2013, 12:06 PM)Poodle Wrote: If my experience is anything to go by, you'll make your money back in the first year, just in what you'll save on fuel. The new tips and recalibrated bodies should be a lot more efficient than the old ones. How many miles have your current injectors done?

and in my experiance you dont get your money back! on referbed injectors
you dont get a saving on fuel

you better spending £70 on a low mile set of "076" or even fit the "062" set you have
Don't go wasting the £400 odd on refurbs I did and it was just wasted

oh and your simptoms sound exactly how mine was when i changed the injectors
Thanks given by:
Poodle the cars on 129k and I can only assume they are the original ones. and yes cully in the cold weather its quite rough until warmed up and I hate the ridiculous ticking on hard acceleration.
Thanks given by:
mine sounded almost like being on 3 cylinders from cold plant your foot and take off it would clear
my injectors used to tick real bad too the were on about 100kmiles they were 062's

ive now fitted a set of low mile 076's an am happy

i believe mine went 3 cylinder ish after i filled with Morison's diesel
Ive also been informed Morison's diesel runs a higher % of bio mix which makes the fuel More corrosive
cleaning the fuel lines which i think part blocked one of my injectors
Thanks given by:
Well tbh when I bought mine 2 months ago I didn't have the symptoms I'm having now, just ticking. So I'd say mine has become blocked one way or another. If I change the injectors then is there anything I should make sure and do/ not do saying you guys have changed them before?
Thanks given by:
you need new copper sealing washers from peugeot
part no 1981 96 they are about £8 for 4

the hardest part will be getting your old units out as they do stick and can de right sods
other than that keep everthing clean when you undo fuel pipe ends bag the ends to stop debris getting in
make sure the head hole is clean befor inserting the new injector washer
make sure you remove the old washer first
Thanks given by:
what did you use to pull yours out? and is there a certain way of cleaning the holes in the head?
Thanks given by:
Soak the base of the injectors in plusgas for an hour beforehand. Loosen the crows-foot clamp locknut, but not so far that any of the threads disengage. Get a small pry bar under the clamp and lever it up carefully, keep the pressure parallel to the injector angle. I wiggled them a bit to help and they came out pretty easily, they were on ~100k at the time, so not much less than yours.

Clean the holes in the head with a hoover attachment, sounds daft but means you don't get bits dropping in to the cylinders.

Cully, i saw a decent increase in mpg on mine, maybe my old ones were more knackered...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Poodle... You can change mine if I get some then Lol!!! Smile

Still want that engine mount?

Edit. My cars coming up to 100k on standard injectors. Hyperthetically, Would it be worth getting 076 on similar miles or would I be wasting my money?

I'm aiming for 180bhp too and will b upgrading to the r70 pump and 1800 fps...

Saves a new thread!
Thanks given by:
Yeah no problem mate, always up for a challenge haha.

Tbh, after what Whippy has said about them i'm not so sure, was about to message you about it as it goes.

I wouldn't bother unless they're starting to cause a problem fella, otherwise it's an expensive job for not much gain.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'm going to keep a look out for some lower mileage ones and get them just to get it done. Higher mpg is always a bonus!

I'm back at krisBs on Tuesday and Thursday. Picking the car up thursday if your free...

You can have the mount to try it if you do still want it

That's thursday the 9th BTW!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rough running DW10 mr_fish 10 3,231 26-08-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  Rough Idle HDI boggs 4 1,171 05-05-2016, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Ruan