Peugeot "just add fuel" Good thing or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peugeot "just add fuel" Good thing or not?
Well seen the adverts for this a while ago. Now im starting to consider it as i think i will save a fair amount of money.

For example my car insurance £124 a month, tax £120ish every 6 month, mot £40 (not including repairs), then when it brakes witch it will do most days lol maybe £50ish a week on new bits + What ever else it throws at me.

But the just add fuel deal the cheapest is £145 a month. To be fair this is the 107 1.0 so gona be small and cramped and very slow. But the saving i make will be fairly decent! I can go to other cars but they go up in price from there.

What you get for your £145 a month is, 3 years car insurance, 3 years tax, 3 years breakdown, and what ever else it was lol but basically you just add fuel, but ive not read though the small print yet im sure there will be some catch. Like mileage and repairs like brakes and tyres etc

So any one ever looked in to this or even doing it now??

Not sure about it tbh i like my 306 but just fed up with the un-reliability

Thanks given by:
I've seriously thought about it as my Nan said she'd GIVE me the money for a better car. Problem is I'd need something big and diesel which would cost a lot more that the one you quoted. However, the 1 litre 107 isn't THAT slow, my Nans neighbour has one, and yes its small, but that means the power to weight isn't bad, and youd get decent mpg.

I must admit, the feeling of knowing everything was 'sorted' for 3 years would be good though.

I'm not sure what the catch is, probably something like <15k a year milage though I guess, but that is just a guess.
Thanks given by:
Last time they were doing I went in to see if they would do it on the RCZ. But they said no.

I bet there is an age required, normally it's 21 or 25. For insurance reasons.

It's good if you don't mind going slow and being cramped.
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2012, 09:59 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I've seriously thought about it as my Nan said she'd GIVE me the money for a better car. Problem is I'd need something big and diesel which would cost a lot more that the one you quoted.

I must admit, the feeling of knowing everything was 'sorted' for 3 years would be good though.

I'm not sure what the catch is, probably something like <15k a year milage though I guess, but that is just a guess.

Just looked mileage is 6,667 a year limit can buy extra mileage tho, and it excludes ware items so tyres brakes etc. Can get very expensive i think. Probably be cheaper just to buy the car Undecided

Thanks given by:
st Add Fuel (JAF) is subject to status . †Minimum age 21, 25 or 30 on selected models, maximum age 75. Policyholder must have a minimum of 2 years NCD to use on the vehicle. All drivers must meet eligibility criteria including minimum 2 years’ full UK licence, driving convictions/claims limits. Excesses apply. 3 years motor insurance is provided and underwritten by U K Insurance Limited
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2012, 10:02 AM)Chris_90 Wrote:
(29-12-2012, 09:59 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I've seriously thought about it as my Nan said she'd GIVE me the money for a better car. Problem is I'd need something big and diesel which would cost a lot more that the one you quoted.

Just looked mileage is 6,667 a year limit can buy extra mileage tho, and it excludes ware items so tyres brakes etc. Can get very expensive i think. Probably be cheaper just to buy the car Undecided

Whattttttt? 6.6k a year? f*ck, well thats pointless, I double that atleast. Confused

However, how many tyres and brakes are you gonna go through in 3 years lol?? You shouldn't go through any wear and tear things in such a short time really.
Thanks given by:
JAF is incorporated into a Personal Lease contract. 107 Active initial rental £1,515, optional final rental of £4,072. 107 Active for 21 year old drivers, initial rental £1,622, optional final rental of £4,072. 208 Access (inc. metallic paint) initial rental £1,531, optional final rental of £4,510. 208 Access for 21 year old drivers, initial rental £1,644, optional final rental of £4,510. 308 Allure (inc. metallic paint) initial rental £3,225, optional final rental £5,983. 3008 Access initial rental £3,021 optional final rental of £5,983. If you choose to pay off the optional final rental, you can pay an annual rental equivalent to one of your monthly rentals but will not own the car. Ownership is possible with JAF Passport, ask your Peugeot dealer for details

Ps might want to get a move on runs out Sunday.
Thanks given by:
Yeh people have sorted this above... minimum age limits, not including some things, mileage limits and then you dont own the car at the end. You have the option to buy it at a reduced price but it still means its much better to run a cheap 306 Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Basically these schemes are crap. Looked in to a similar VW offering when the GF's car needed scrapping. Their milage limitation was 10K I think, and the GF does 20K a year, more miles you do the less the car is worth at the end of the 3/4 year period when you come to return it/trade it in.

As Mark said, you never actually own the car either, it is lease contract which I think is also shite.

These schemes are so full of catches that in the end we told the dealer where he could shove it and walked out.

Oh and Tom, wear and tear on tyres would also include driving over nails/screws/bits of glass that pop the tyres for you, can be done quite easily and there is no "contract" in life saying you can only drive over one nail/screw/bit of glass every X number of years Tongue
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
Just get in touch with a lease company and ask about a price on the car you want on a maintenance contract. Everything is paid by the lease company except insurance and fuel but you generally find new cars are quite cheap to insure. Granted it wont be as cheap but the buy back price will probably be a lot less and the mileage limitations will be higher.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
If you're paying £5k over 3 years did you really think you'd own the car at the end of it? lmao

Yes it would save you money, but you wouldn't own the car, you couldn't modify the car, and any damage would be taken out as a final payment at the end of it too.

Ideal scheme for someone who can't afford to buy a car outright, but long term there's no point.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Literally NONE of these deals are any good, the only good "deal" is to do it yourself sadly...

There are better deals than others, but sadly unless you literally go to the shops and back per week, they're pointless...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2012, 12:26 PM)Ruan Wrote: Literally NONE of these deals are any good, the only good "deal" is to do it yourself sadly...

There are better deals than others, but sadly unless you literally go to the shops and back per week, they're pointless...

This ^^. If you do real milage then don't bother. The GF's brother has one, a VW Polo (which is what made us go and check), I think he's paying £250/month and has a limited milage, one years free insurance and it doesn't include servicing (which has to be done at the stealers). He is not car minded, and doesn't use his car for work, only for driving Sheffield - Leicester and back a couple of times a year really.
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2012, 12:26 PM)Ruan Wrote: Literally NONE of these deals are any good, the only good "deal" is to do it yourself sadly...

Unless you're disabled!! The mobility scheme is damn good. And they do replace anything for free as well, my Grandad had two cars on mobility (3 years at a time).

The thing with brand new cars though, is if you can afford to buy one (or even with a loan or whatever) they are so cheap to run its ridiculous. Mums 12 plate swift for example, its the top spec one on the 1.2 (96bhp iirc) petrol with keyless entry/button start/window tints/16" alloys etc etc - she pays less than £200 a year insurance, £30 a year to tax (with the first year free) and she averages over 55mpg on petrol - so its quicker than the HDi...and cheaper on fuel! And I doubt anything will break on it for years either (unless she's unlucky enough to get a nail in a tyre lol Rolleyes ) and you get that feeling of solidarity and saftety that its not gonna fall apart which you just don't get with older cars, even the MK4s don't feel solid these days like a new car. But thats just my opinion anyway.
Thanks given by:
The mobility scheme is a completely different system Tom. You say new cars are cheaper, work depreciation into your calculations and you'll realise you're a bit out. Wink

Any scheme like this is designed to make car companies more money, otherwise they wouldn't bother introducing it, and the extra money comes from the end user, ie you. That's not pessimism, it's just business. So if you can look after your own car mechanically, then the cheapest way to stay on the road will almost always be by maintaining an older car with decent credentials, eg a 306 diesel.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Motability is something else completely, it's part funded by the government which is what makes it such a good deal!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
How is £124 a month a good deal.

With that much money you could buy 3 cheap-o cars a year, run each one till it stops and then run the next one.
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2012, 03:27 PM)Poodle Wrote: The mobility scheme is a completely different system Tom. You say new cars are cheaper, work depreciation into your calculations and you'll realise you're a bit out. Wink

Any scheme like this is designed to make car companies more money, otherwise they wouldn't bother introducing it, and the extra money comes from the end user, ie you. That's not pessimism, it's just business. So if you can look after your own car mechanically, then the cheapest way to stay on the road will almost always be by maintaining an older car with decent credentials, eg a 306 diesel.

Tom i dont know why your under this impression that newer cars are more reliable. There not. The clutch went on my skoda at 9 months old. Nearly every single car i see on the hard shoulder of a motorway is less than 5 years old (and normally a Audi rather comically!)
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(29-12-2012, 06:33 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: How is £124 a month a good deal.

With that much money you could buy 3 cheap-o cars a year, run each one till it stops and then run the next one.

How is it not a good deal? I'll assume you're older than me then, seeing as I pay almost that in insurance and tax alone every month! Confused. Plus the fact you get a new car rather than beaten up old shitter.

It's just a shame the milage is limited though.

(29-12-2012, 06:35 PM)Niall Wrote:
(29-12-2012, 03:27 PM)Poodle Wrote: The mobility scheme is a completely different system Tom. You say new cars are cheaper, work depreciation into your calculations and you'll realise you're a bit out. Wink

Tom i dont know why your under this impression that newer cars are more reliable. There not. The clutch went on my skoda at 9 months old. Nearly every single car i see on the hard shoulder of a motorway is less than 5 years old (and normally a Audi rather comically!)

Clutches don't just 'go' either it was faulty or you abused it, and either way it should still be under warranty so you/the company didn't have to pay for it!

However, with all the new (and nearly new) cars that I know of in family and neighbours etc, they never break! And it must be different by you, aol the broken down cars I see round here ate either older shitters that aren't looked after (usually full of dogs and children meaning the owners can't keep the car in good order) or high end cars like jags and I even saw an aston on a tow truck yesterday. Barely ever see 'mid range' cars from say 55 plate on broken down round here.
Thanks given by:
Er... im pretty sure a clutch will just go! Could be for any reason and it will always eventually go due to general use no matter how hard you abuse it.

I think for us tom it does seem like a good deal (ignoring the mileage) however we are both young so we would never get a car as good as our estates for that price. Dont tell me about how crap yours is now. Its shiny as feck and be glad that the front end of it doesnt resemble the big dipper (rollercoaster) like mine does! Once we are old enough then the deal doesnt seem as good because our insurance will be cheaper!

Also with any of these deals because you dont own the car you cant modify it at all. And lets be honest thats what most of us are on this forum for, modifying and fixing etc. Nobody would put as much effort into the upkeep of a car they didnt own!
Thanks given by:
Tom it went because the master cylinder shat it self. And yes it was covered under warranty but that wasnt my point. The point was, it was a 9 month old car with quite a serious failure. And tom no offence but i do a substantial amount more driving than you do. I dont just drive around the local town so i do see alot more than you do.
The good thing about getting a maintenance contract with a lease company is you dont have to worry about it breaking down because you cant just go out and buy a new car your self and say it wont break down because its just as likely to as a 10 year old car. Downside obviously being that you dont own the car after 3 years but if youve got the money and dont mind having to choose a new car every 3 years and have worry free motoring, i think its a good idea. There really is no benefits to owning a car unless you really cant afford a lease contract.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(29-12-2012, 07:20 PM)SRowell Wrote: Er... im pretty sure a clutch will just go! Could be for any reason and it will always eventually go due to general use no matter how hard you abuse it.

I think for us tom it does seem like a good deal (ignoring the mileage) however we are both young so we would never get a car as good as our estates for that price. Dont tell me about how crap yours is now. Its shiny as feck and be glad that the front end of it doesnt resemble the big dipper (rollercoaster) like mine does! Once we are old enough then the deal doesnt seem as good because our insurance will be cheaper!

Also with any of these deals because you dont own the car you cant modify it at all. And lets be honest thats what most of us are on this forum for, modifying and fixing etc. Nobody would put as much effort into the upkeep of a car they didnt own!

In 9 months theres gotta be something wrong for a clutch to 'go'!!

Either it was burned out (user abuse) or a spring fell out/release bearing failed (faulty part), and as said, within 9 months you're under warranty so don't have to pay for it.

As good as our estates? Seriously Sam? Mines scratched to f*ck, dented all over, ruined inside, missing various fixings and falling apart as they all are around 10+ years old. I'd have a new car any day (as long as someone else paid the purchase price lol!), theres only one thing 'good' about my estate, and thats the load space. If I didn't need load space, I certainly wouldn't be driving it.

Infact, if I moved into town (so no ridiculous boring b road trip every day) and wasn't shifting shit about I'd buy a fairly new small petrol as they are so cheap and much better on mpg these days. The idea of a 1.4 only having 75bhp and barely averaging 45mpg has long gone!! That Peugeot deal would even work then as the milage wouldn't matter, not that I want a new pug anyway lol, would rather go citroen if I was staying PSA, Grandads top spec C3 Picasso was awesome tbh, just a shame it was missing the pedal on the left lol.

And not modifying would be the best idea ever tbh, look at every car I've owned, either I've broken them due to modding or wasted money on mods that you don't get back. Dunno why its taken me so long to realise that. Plus the only exterior mods I do are 'GTi' mods anyway, so just a buy a GTi spec car to start with lol. Hence I'm looking for something new enough to be cheap to run and tax and not need modding at all, PD150 Golf or similar. And before anyone says 'havent I learnt my lesson with Golfs?'....the answer is, why the f*ck didnt I learn from 306s!? Confused

Also, I put more effort into your estate than I have mine! lol So just cos you don't own it doesn't mean you won't look after it.

All that said, I did turn down a fairly new car which i was offered when my Grandad died - but it was a tiny pov spec Hyundai I10 with the wrong engine (crap mpg for what it was) - anything better and slightly higher specced I'd have had it. Wish I'd had the i10 now though, and traded it in for something better like my Mum did instead, ah well, learn from mistakes I guess...or not. lol

(29-12-2012, 07:35 PM)Niall Wrote: Tom it went because the master cylinder shat it self. And yes it was covered under warranty but that wasnt my point. The point was, it was a 9 month old car with quite a serious failure. And tom no offence but i do a substantial amount more driving than you do. I dont just drive around the local town so i do see alot more than you do.
The good thing about getting a maintenance contract with a lease company is you dont have to worry about it breaking down because you cant just go out and buy a new car your self and say it wont break down because its just as likely to as a 10 year old car. Downside obviously being that you dont own the car after 3 years but if youve got the money and dont mind having to choose a new car every 3 years and have worry free motoring, i think its a good idea. There really is no benefits to owning a car unless you really cant afford a lease contract.

I assume you mean slave cylinder, so it was a faulty part then, and as you say replaced under warranty. If you go out and buy a 306 tomorow then the clutch fails you've gotta pay like half the cars value to get it replaced at a garage!!

I agree you do a lot more miles, but we probably spend a similar amount of time in the car though, I'm in the car several hours each day and contrary to forum rumours don't just drive round Ipswich lol.

I dont agree that a new car is just as likely to break down as a 10 year old one though. Metal fatigue and perished rubber and electrics are probably the major cause of most breakdowns, and those take a while to happen. Really the only thing that can cause a breakdown on a brand new car is a faulty part from the factory which will be under warranty anyway.

Turbos, DMFs, cams, headgaskets, wiring faults, knackered beams, rust, clutches, CV joints, ball joints etc are all very likely to fail on an older car resulting in a breakdown (trust me on that!) than a newer one.

And i know people will say it doesn't matter becuase they're cheap and easy to fix, but the fact is they really arent! Everythings so siezed in it either won't come off or just shears giving you even bigger problems, and as forbeing cheap, again they aren't - say a CV boot rips as they do when they get old - you've gotta replace the gearbox oil, the hub nut and usually the gearbox oil seal as well with taking the shaft out - so that very quickly gets fairly expansive and time consuming! Especially if the shaft is so siezed in that you have to replace the damn hub as well - I'll never buy another 106 after that experience!
Thanks given by:
and the worst thing about the just add fuel package?

.....your not allowed to smoke in the car, the phrase "thats exactly how nazi germany started" comes into mind
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2012, 10:46 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: and the worst thing about the just add fuel package?

.....your not allowed to smoke in the car, the phrase "thats exactly how nazi germany started" comes into mind

Good!! People shouldn't smoke in cars, it stinks. Still havent got the smell out of Dads car after a year and lots of strong air freshner and old lady perfume....

Wink
Thanks given by:
its easy to get rid of the smell of anything from a car interior, autoglym foam fabric cleaner is amazing stuff, you can remove seat covers and just put them in the washing machine, its quite amazing how much muck comes out of car seats, its actually pretty disgusting lol
i smoke in the car but i like it to be clean, nothing worse than an overflowing ashtray, yellow greasy shit on everything, greasy glass, stains everywhere..... bleugh
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Full leathers probably can't go in the wash haha! I think its the headlining that holds the smell though tbh. Seems like a lot if effort to have ti keep cleaning when you could just smoke before/after the journey lol
Thanks given by:
yeah probly the rooflining, the foam underneath it traps alot of smell. i always clean the wiper stalks, wheel, handbrake, doorhandles etc too, lots of sticky shit gets attached to plastic, cant really see it but run a sponge over it and youl see. full on mingin lol
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Well I have slight ocd Itwasntme so always clean the entire interior with anti bacterial wipes when i get a new (to me) car! And yes the stuff that comes off is rank!

This is what I can't stand....eurgh, that hasn't happened over night, how do people just leave that! Confused
Thanks given by:
yeah thats what i meant, that browny yellow crap that builds up, im with you, disgusting!
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I wasn't going to bother getting in on this but Tom - you really haven't got a clue.
If you want a new car the best thing you can do Is get a personal loan from your bank over 5 yrs and go in to the dealers with cash and play them off against each other. Any money you save put it aside for servicing and bills etc but try and get servicing thrown in for nothing then get everything you can out of them and just before you sign say I'm going to have to think about it make them sweat.
They're working on one of two principles and that's volume and bonus or commission - ask them they'll probably tell you.
The only time not to get a bank loan is when the dealer is offering 0% finace over 3 yrs and your old car as deposit -provided you can afford the payments that's a no brainier.
New cars break down whether they've been abused or not - Fact! I've driven over 8,000 vehicles new and old over a 10 yr period for lease companies finance companies dealerships auctions and private individuals averaging 75,000miles a year and I've broken down less than a mile from the dealers a mile from the delivery address and everywhere in between.
The penalties for exceeding mileage allowances start at 15p per mile depending on who you lease from, then there is what is considered fair wear and tear on the vehicle.
The worst company to lease hire from are D_____r C______r B__z who will sodomise you so badly you'll regret it for the rest of your life over what is acceptable fair wear and tear.
Their own trained technicians inspect the cars after we take them back to storage and they plug them in and see if they've been clocked and how may keys should be with the vehicle etc - poor repairs are charged back to the customer also. anyone that refuses to pay usually finds themselves in small claims court - though I will say most people pay up as DCB are very intimidating. Even heard of a barrister that could not practise because he had been issued with a court writ because of a dispute with DCB.
Most reliable brand I've ever driven? Honda. So much so my ex wife and I bought a 99T plate accord with under 7k on the clock and we put 140k on that in 8 yrs she still had the car when we split and divorced and I can say that it never ever ever once let us down. It was my wife's daily driver and I ragged it at weekends Smile afaik she still has that car.
I have driven cars so dirty you wouldn't put pigs in them, they were ex motability cars. I remember one that it took me a whole pack of baby wipes to clean the steering wheel the indicators handbrake gear stick any switches I needed to touch and I still wore a pair of disposable gloves oh yeah and the drivers seat base was falling apart where they had pissed themselves so much the ammonia was attacking the fabric - it had already took the pattern out of it. 3 newspapers and 2 bin liners all windows open and it was pissing down with rain when I was driving that car. You still think a bit of stale cigarette smoke is bad???

ps - you can now get odour purifying 'bombs' that you put in your car and leave - ask a pro car valeter.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What car with good mpg would be good for gravel roads? Amandaholo 21 6,627 28-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Last Post: ash240970