Service help needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Service help needed
Hello,

I am looking at servicing my car and was wondering what oil people recommend as I have read and seen various different oils been suggested and was wondering what other people use. Where do people buy there service items from?

Also does anyone have the Aux Belt part no.?

Thanks

Dan
Thanks given by:
Opie oils.

5w/40
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Cheers Tom. Any particular brand of the oil?
Thanks given by:
I tend to use Castrol Edge Oil in mine.
There will be quiet a choice on Aux Belt part numbers, depends if it has Air Con etc.
Give your reg number to your local motor factors and they will be able to tell you which one you need.
Thanks given by:
i use 10w40 in mine
Thanks given by:
I usually get my oil and filters from pug, Total Quartz 7000 10w40 as its whats recommended and its less than £20 a bottle. The pug filters are alot better quality than pattern parts and TBH if your gonna get pattern parts you might as well borrow a halfords trade card as an oil filter is about £2

Some people put 5w40 in these to help cold start but many have had issues with seals starting leaking when they make the switch.
Thanks given by:
oil choice is really down to how you drive it/power etc
the first number refers to the protection/thickness when cold while the number after the w refers to hot protection/thickness
running 5w40 means the oil is thin when cold offering better protection from startup.
peugeot recommend a good quality 10w40 but it all depends on our budget really, if your running a very high power xud you'd want to spend alot on really good oil like gulf race 10w40 oil, or miller 10w40 race oil but it costs :/
a good compromise is mobil 1 super 2000 or castrol, decent oil but without the race oil price tag.
as for service parts its easiest just to go to somewhere like unipart, give them your reg and let them sort it out, then if they give you the wrong part its just a matter of taking it back and swapping it Smile
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Thanks for that Dum-Dum. Will I be able to walk into any peugeot dealer and get the parts or are they order only?
Thanks given by:
Gulf is good stuff. And obviously whatever peugeot recommends would be sufficient.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yes you can walk in. Most Peugeot dealers have regular service parts in stock, if not they can usually get them in within a day or two.
Thanks given by:
Yeah youll be able to walk into any dealer and theyll have it all in stock. Most do a 10% trade discount that you can try and blag. Also if your near a Tomo parts they do genuine pug parts too.

If you want to see the difference in quality between pug filters and pattern ones just go and buy both and youll see the difference. I cant believe some people spend £50 on oil only to put on a cheap filter that wont filter properly and dosent have a decent non return valve.
Thanks given by:
10w40 will suffice.

Non aircon aux belt is 6pk1105 I think.
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
Cheers KrisB, the car has AC though I will go to the local motor factors and find out which belt I need.
Thanks given by:
Morning all. Just another quick question. Can anyone tell me what size tool I need for removing the sump plug.

Cheers
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2013, 11:05 AM)DanWY Wrote: Morning all. Just another quick question. Can anyone tell me what size tool I need for removing the sump plug.

Cheers

Depends what size but was put in there tbh my one is a 20mm but I had a 19 in there before... Have seen 21mm too.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
So it's just a socket and not a square shaped plug or anything.
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2013, 11:13 AM)DanWY Wrote: So it's just a socket and not a square shaped plug or anything.

Could have a 1/4 inch drive in the centre but normally have a socket option too. I haven't seen a square plug before.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Nope, should just be a regular 20mm ish hex plug. There's a recess in it for a square tool too if you somehow manage to round it off.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cheers for that Jake! I am sure I will find out when I get it done later on.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the info. I am struggling a bit as not jacked this car up before and a bit unsure of if the points where I have got the axle stands at the moment is ok.

[Image: 7A86F859-29ED-493D-A4EE-79200519DD16-430...8f6129.jpg]

If not could someone advice as to where would be better to put them.
Thanks given by:
That's fine, it's where I put my stands too Smile
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
I have moved them to the point in the guide. I couldn't see it before I looked at the picture haha. Car is running the cleaner through now then time to drain the old out and in with the new!
Thanks given by:
the subframes the best place for axle stands like you've done, makes me cringe when you see people supporting the weight of the car on the sills alone
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Yeah I have just moved them further back into the bolts where it attaches. I would never support it on the sills as they are prone to rusting, you have got to be stupid to put them on there I would think.
Thanks given by:
All done now! Went easier then I expected. Was all done in about 30 mins or so.
Thanks given by:
Yeah all simple stuff bud! Glad it went well, hopefully you'll get a few extra mpg as well!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Hopefully. Trying to decide if I need new glow plugs now and also need to get the aux belt sorted.
Thanks given by: