turbo fault lots of hissing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
turbo fault lots of hissing
Posted on here few days ago bout lots of hissing but yet everything has been looked at. hoses checked inter cooler checked sealed inlet manifold but still made a horrible hissing fitted a boost gauge and it get to 14 psi and stick there doesent creep past that at all check wast gate is moving freely today and all is well despite it been dewastegate thought id cheak anyway. Anyway what chances compressor housing is cracked or inlet is craked ??other than that i can only assume it is the turbo at fault
Thanks given by:
hissing when your on boost? like a whooshing kind of sound?
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
(26-12-2012, 06:35 PM)Dicky Wrote: hissing when your on boost? like a whooshing kind of sound?

Ye whoosing air it goes ssssssssssssssss lol
Thanks given by:
(26-12-2012, 06:36 PM)stevedturboxud Wrote:
(26-12-2012, 06:35 PM)Dicky Wrote: hissing when your on boost? like a whooshing kind of sound?

Start it up and spray wd-40 all over the engine or any type of spray and where it bubbles thats where you're leak is.

On mine when it happened it blew the intercooler pipe off just tightened the jubilee up and job done
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
(26-12-2012, 06:41 PM)Dicky Wrote:
(26-12-2012, 06:36 PM)stevedturboxud Wrote:

Start it up and spray wd-40 all over the engine or any type of spray and where it bubbles thats where you're leak is.

On mine when it happened it blew the intercooler pipe off just tightened the jubilee up and job done

Tried it mate sounds like back of engine like rite behind dash
Thanks given by:
Hold on, you're at 14psi dewastegated?

How is it dewastegated? I almost guarantee if you've not welded the gate shut its creeping user exhaust mani pressure...
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
^^ Fuel right down...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Yeah my point being that it's dewastegated ruan. My t2 spring was weak as piss, it's possible the fat is creeping and causing the hissing noise.
Thanks given by:
(26-12-2012, 07:24 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Yeah my point being that it's dewastegated ruan. My t2 spring was weak as piss, it's possible the fat is creeping and causing the hissing noise.

U dont have to weld wastegate to de wastegat the hose that runs from the compresserhousing to actuator has a bolt in it so obviously the boost from the housing wont push the gate open
Thanks given by:
What he more means is that exhaust pressure will blow the gate open...

At 14psi that won't be happening though unless as Chris says, the actuator is fooked. You start blowing it open around 24psi...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Rite im with you lol any ideas why its a 14 psi when i checked wastgate today with the arm still atatched i could bearly move it
Thanks given by:
There's more that will restrict boost other than simply adjusting/removing the wastegate.

What other mods does the car have? Mainly talking about fuelling and exhaust mods.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(26-12-2012, 07:55 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: There's more that will restrict boost other than simply adjusting/removing the wastegate.

What other mods does the car have? Mainly talking about fuelling and exhaust mods.

Strite trough pipe no cat lucas waiting to go bosch but not until this prob fixed k n pump is screwed up turbo dewastgate still on top mount bout it tbh
Thanks given by:
Read that 3 times to understand it lmao You're still on the standard air filter I take it?

Thanks given by:
(26-12-2012, 08:08 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Read that 3 times to understand it lmao You're still on the standard air filter I take it?

No k and n sorry bout spelling lol posting on my phone keys are too close
Thanks given by:
K&N? Care to elaborate? just a replacement standard filter or...

Thanks given by:
(26-12-2012, 08:13 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: K&N? Care to elaborate? just a replacement standard filter or...
Standard hose from turbo compressor housing round back of intercooler then the K&N sits ontop ov the gear box but the K&N is a cone filter not a standard replacment

(26-12-2012, 07:40 PM)Ruan Wrote: What he more means is that exhaust pressure will blow the gate open...

At 14psi that won't be happening though unless as Chris says, the actuator is fooked. You start blowing it open around 24psi...

Would i be rite in seying at the peak of the 14 psi and the car makes a dumping noise poooooooo that the wastgate opening and shutting
Thanks given by:
You mean it goes "ppttttshhhhhhhhh" ?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(26-12-2012, 08:54 PM)Tom Wrote: You mean it goes "ppttttshhhhhhhhh" ?

Ye pppptttttsssshhhhh is that the gate opening and shutting
Thanks given by:
I've owned an XUD9 now for 5 years and the wastegate has NEVER gone PSHHHHHT...

Infact I don't ever think my wastegate has made a noise?
Thanks given by:
[quote='Ruan' pid='184295' dateline='1356555822']
I've owned an XUD9 now for 5 years and the wastegate has NEVER gone PSHHHHHT...

Infact I don't ever think my wastegate has made a noise

Owned mine fo just over 2 and its only just started making noise since this 14 psi
Thanks given by:
Turbos fecked then fella. Stalling noises when changing gear were a symptom of my knackered turbo. The revs drop, engine doesn't demand the air the turbo is still forcing in, easiest way out is for the air to stall the turbo which makes the dumping noise as it comes back out the inlet.

When it starts doing this, usually after being run at excessive psi, the bearings don't last long. It'll probably start sounding like a police siren soon when the compressor blades grind themselves to death on the housing.
Thanks given by:
(26-12-2012, 09:20 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Turbos fecked then fella. Stalling noises when changing gear were a symptom of my knackered turbo. The revs drop, engine doesn't demand the air the turbo is still forcing in, easiest way out is for the air to stall the turbo which makes the dumping noise as it comes back out the inlet.

When it starts doing this, usually after being run at excessive psi, the bearings don't last long. It'll probably start sounding like a police siren soon when the compressor blades grind themselves to death on the housing.

Had a look this morning actuator fubard it open a little bit quiet easly so i think as ruan said exhaust pressure is opening the wasgate slighttly
Thanks given by:
Er, you mean as I said? lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Running hot and smoky - turbo at fault? juz22 1 985 24-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Last Post: juz22
  Dturbo 'hissing' noise Bananalad 5 1,262 09-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Last Post: john85cw
  bosch pump hissing air. fieldofrob 9 3,356 21-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Kwik