1.8 dturbo stage 1 power?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.8 dturbo stage 1 power?
Just out of curiosity how good are the 1.8's for tuning in regards to the 1.9 , like for example if a stage 1 1.9 would go to 125 bhp would a 1.8 stage 1 go to 115 ?

Or are they quite different in their design and not suitable for tuning hence why people go for 1.9 conversions
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
They tune up fairly well, pretty negligible difference imo. Not seen any big power ones but I had mine Bosch'd and gov modded on a K14 and it was a touch quicker than a saxo vts, so must have been running around 120hp @18psi iirc
Thanks given by:
As Dan says they tune up very well. I had mine on a stage 1 lucas K14 at 19psi and it wasn't as quick as the current engine with a T2 and Bosch when it was the same psi but that was probably due to the Bosch and FMIC to be fair as the 1.8 didn't even have one.
After stripping my old 1.8 I had notice the head studs are a good inch shorter and appear to be of a lesser strong steel (could be wrong) as I remember people saying they tend to loose the head gasket after a tune up.
Apart from that I can't see why they won't be any less powerful.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
There are two types of headbolt, some are shorter and dont require the spacers
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys, considering gettibg 205 but not keen on engine swap idea

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
The 1.8 is good , I put mine up to 22psi with a Bosch and it flew. But mine couldn't handle the temps so I turned it down. Think the main difference is just the cooling really
Thanks given by:
Yeah cooling will be a ball ache. You will have 2 issues you can either go the FMIC route and that would involve changing the mani, the cam, the vac and removing the PAS or having an electric PAS. The reason for this is they are both run off the cam pulley and thr vac pump is bolted to thr inlet. It will work out cheaper to get a 1.9 in good nick than having to buy a 1.9 cam, 1.9 vac, 1.9 inlet, cambelt, new inlet gasket ect.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
So a simple stage 1 would be possible then

Thanks given by:
Yeah but be prepared for heat soak.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
(26-12-2012, 11:12 AM)strictly_derv Wrote: Yeah but be prepared for heat soak.

He means be prepared to have your heaters on full everywhere you drive. Tongue
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stage 1/stage 2 whats the difference? general tuning questions midge 5 2,772 19-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  1.9 dturbo stage 1 tune willJspears 36 7,303 17-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Last Post: willJspears