rollcage questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rollcage questions
at some point in the near future i would like to get a cage in the 306, mostly for peace of mind on track days and road rallies, also to stiffen the car up a bit.

i know a fair bit about cages and installing them but my main concern here is that i have a 5 door, all the available cages are for the 3 door models so would one of these fit?

more to the point, what differences are there in the floorpan and roof between the 3 and 5 door models, if any?
hope that it doesnt have to be a very expensive custom build Confused
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
get a 3door problem solved
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by:
It won't be much help but I have seen one or two 5 doors on eBay with cages so it can be done.

Other than that not much help.
Thanks given by:
you seem pretty handy with a welder? just knock one up with some old poles?
Thanks given by:
(15-12-2012, 10:59 PM)the milkman Wrote: you seem pretty handy with a welder? just knock one up with some old poles?

I could do that, but i was after a proper fia spec cage so that if it ever comes to it i can enter events that require scrutineering. a homemade cage might add a little support but other than that it would just be weight. theres always the expensive option of getting someone like safety devices to make one if theres no way a 3 door cage would fit. it might not even happen yet though, it was just something i was wandering about for a future mod
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
i know the feeling though i want a cage in my car when its done
Thanks given by:
theres a guy in south herefordshire we used for our rally car....epic welder... was unbeliveable good

and it stiffens the car up like nothing else.

thing with the 5door...cant put a decent cage in it AND retain rear access. you need to make triangles in the cage to make strength
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(15-12-2012, 11:24 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: theres a guy in south herefordshire we used for our rally car....epic welder... was unbeliveable good

and it stiffens the car up like nothing else.

thing with the 5door...cant put a decent cage in it AND retain rear access. you need to make triangles in the cage to make strength

im not bothered about losing rear access, but who was this guy in herefordshire? if hes involved with rallying theres a good chance my dad knows him
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Why not drop the engine in a 3 door?

You half the amount of holes in the shell and not have to worry about the differences in floor pan - bonus?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
^^ this
Thanks given by:
(15-12-2012, 11:33 PM)Ruan Wrote: Why not drop the engine in a 3 door?

You half the amount of holes in the shell and not have to worry about the differences in floor pan - bonus?

that would be the sensible thing to do, but effort lol
maybe one day though...
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
do it!!
im going to the extream and going engine in 205 hahaah
Thanks given by:
very specific requirements for a reshell, phase 1, white, 3 door, non sunroof
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Not as hard as you might expect tbh... Poverty speccers might be your place to look first Wink
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
saw ^ exactly that driven by an old man 2days ago
Thanks given by:
Cannot see why not, the main hoop will sit in a different place to the 3 door but there's no reg's saying it has to be by the pillar, Worst case you may need to adjust the main hoop floor mounts but that's dead easy
Thanks given by:
If you fitted a 3dr cage Into a 5dr, I believe it would fit. The floor pan is the same I think but the main roll bar would be over the rear doors rendering the rears useless. Might also have to slightly modify the bottom of the main roll loop to weld onto the floor but not much work.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
awesome, thats what i wanted to know Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Iirc fia spec expires after two years, so is it worth the premium?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Why not speak th Rippthrough on here he has got a 5 door car booked for a cage over christmas at some point. and the prices he will quote are for a fully custom cage fitted. The prices are a real bargain for what you actually get in some case a fully fitted cage being cheaper than a branded one with out the fitting.
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
pvc pipes, spray them black no one will ever know
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Most cages bolt to he seatbelt mounts on the b pillar.
Thanks given by:
(16-12-2012, 01:45 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Most cages bolt to he seatbelt mounts on the b pillar.

most crap ones...bolt ins suck big style
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I agree with Ruan that you would be best dropping it in a 3 door first, so why not find a non-runner, strip the shell, sort the cage, then when you're ready plop the lump in once you're happy with the new one.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by: