Wheel Wobble!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheel Wobble!!
Right, this is doing my head in now. I can put up with the clutch judder and the hunting at idle and even the terrible cold map, but not this bloody wheel wobble!

Its a really violent wobble, when part braking from speed (over 30), under heavy braking it doesn't wobble at all. It only happens under braking, which obviously you'd assume to be a warped disc. However, the guy I bought it off said he'd recently replaced the discs and pads becuase of a wheel wobble. So this is making me wonder if anything else can cause a wobble like that? Or if the previous owners just didn't bed in the discs properly so they warped again. Basically I don't want to replace the discs to find out it's still there. Also do I have to replace the pads as well, or can i get away with just the discs seeing as the pads are basically new anyway.

It's not the wheels/tyres becuase I've used them on other 306s without any problems. Tracking is probably out a bit, just like pretty much every other old car lol. Weirdly the steering wheel now hangs to one side worse since changing the front struts, but cant change the tracking as I didn't touch the TRE's, so its just moved the straight ahead position if that makes sense. Not really sure how that happened though.

The only other steering 'issue' I have is the wheels feel 'loose' when turning slow speed mainly in car parks, I had this feeling with the 1.8 as well though, you can stick it where you like at 50mph it feels solid, and it doesn't wander at all even at 90mph so how can it feel 'loose' when turning slow corners? Only way to describe it is like the wheels want to go in oposite directions, as odd as that sounds. That part may just be hypo-car-dria though lol.

So, is there anything else that can cause a proper bad wheel wobble under braking apart from a warped disc?

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Just because he said he's replaced them doesn't mean it's done correctly. I assume the calliper is tightened up? If it's come off at all and not been put back on tight enough it'll do the same thing (I speak from experience...)

You can change just the discs but for the price of discs and pads I'd just go straight up with new pads&discs so you know it's done right.
Thanks given by:
I dunno, I had a loose caliper on the 106 and it just 'knocked' once when accelerating each time lol, didn't make any difference to braking weirdly! I've always used the torque wrench for brakes after that haha.

I haven't actually checked to see if it's tight though, I did do my usual 'check for play in everything' when I changed the wheels the over and didn't notice anything odd. I suppose it may be a bit loose though. Probably be a good idea to check that first I guess.
Thanks given by:
have you checked the condition of all the suspension bushes? a collapsed bush can cause all sorts of weird issues, always the first thing i check if there are any knocks or wobbles coming through the steering wheel
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Yeah checked them when I swapped the struts over and I think they're all ok.
Thanks given by:
balljoints? strut tops? play in wheel bearings?
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
New top mounts and bearings. Balljoints 'seem' ok but can't always tell as I don't have a lot of weight to put against them. Didn't actually wheel bearings though now I think of it. But theres no other wheel bearing symptoms, they're not noisy at all. Will check them as well though.
Thanks given by:
just jack the front up and wobble the wheel top to bottom, if theres play in the bearing it will sort of move in and out, doesnt always have any symptoms like being noisy, it happened to me and all i got in the way of a warning was that the steering would sort of notch and click when doing low speed turns, and a slight pull to the right
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Yup, will check them when I get it up. Smile
Thanks given by:
Could be a while then Tom ey? Lol
:troll:
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Iv got a judder under breaking as well but have worked it out 2 b gearbox mount if that helps mate, althought I'm still having problems finding the write size 1!
Thanks given by:
(15-12-2012, 12:50 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: Could be a while then Tom ey? Lol
:troll:

What? Huh

(15-12-2012, 01:52 PM)Choppin Wrote: Iv got a judder under breaking as well but have worked it out 2 b gearbox mount if that helps mate, althought I'm still having problems finding the write size 1!

Are you sure its that? I can't really see how that would affect it? Maybe make a clunky/difficult gearchange but I can't see how it'd affect brakes. You might be right though, so if you do replace it and its fine after then let me know! Smile
Thanks given by:
Iv checked all my disks n pads, bushes n ther all fine, was noticing it was gettin hard 2 get in gear n when I break hardish the steering n gear knob shake a lil, then started 2 hear a slight knockin from the passenger side @ slow speed, had a look n found out how much play ther is on that side of the engine, did attempted 2 change it but keep getin the wrong mount so wen I finally find 1 n the time 2 fit it il let u kno if it sorts it, part of me is doubting it 2b fair but f*ck it, needs doin lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wheel wobble annoyance :( Piggy 40 4,512 08-03-2015, 10:02 PM
Last Post: ct-hdi
  Wheel wobble/play mcglynn 11 2,238 04-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Last Post: mcglynn
  Acceleration wobble sherman306 7 2,240 07-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Janne L