Rattle and losing power at 2.5k revs..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rattle and losing power at 2.5k revs..
Does the noise go away when you press the clutch?
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah it used to before this happened, I'll try tomorrow on the way to the garage and see if it still does?

Why what are you thinking?
“Someone get the foghorn, Kyles out in the Diseaseal again”

[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Mine does this I think it's a bearing in the clutch but its been like it for years, plenty of abuse including track days , Santa pod etc, though it don't explain loss of power, though that could just be in your mind
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Believe me the loss of power is that bad it slows the car to a near stop unless I take my foot off the accelerator.. It's barely drivable

Although track days sound good used to live like a mile away from santapod Big Grin

Thanks given by:
right found out the problem,

turbo is pretty much fooked on it which explains the loss of power and why its struggling to rev, said that its shredding parts of metal into the engine, so new engine it is Sad

Thanks for your help on here guys Smile

just rang up a garage selling a 306, he said on the phone that hes also got a '97 406 engine for sale, that wouldnt be hdi would it?

Thanks given by:
HDi's didn't come out on 306s till '99 so I'd be surprised if they were out on '97 406s. It's probably a semi-electric XUD engine.

As for the problem, that does make sense, as that loss of power over 2k is a very similar symptom to when vanes get stuck on a VNT. I'm not sure where the metal bits are coming from though, is it the bearings eating themselves?
Thanks given by:
(15-12-2012, 10:31 AM)Toms306 Wrote: HDi's didn't come out on 306s till '99 so I'd be surprised if they were out on '97 406s. It's probably a semi-electric XUD engine.

As for the problem, that does make sense, as that loss of power over 2k is a very similar symptom to when vanes get stuck on a VNT. I'm not sure where the metal bits are coming from though, is it the bearings eating themselves?

Yeah I think it is the bearing? He said that he was surprised it would even drive! Said it was just running on its own oil and that was it..

New 306 it is then lol for the time being

Thanks given by:
Lol it's surprising how even these 'modern' cars will still drive even with major faults...trust me on that haha! lol

With so many miles I'm not surprised the turbo has worn out tbh. Would've expected an oil seal to fail before the bearings though, unless the seal has gone as well, meaning the bearings lack lubrication and have run dry. But you'd notice smoke if that happened usually.
Thanks given by:
It was a little smokey when he was revving it earlier

right so list of things to buy;

engine block,
fuel pump,
injectors,
turbo,

anything else?

I'm really not clued up on this sort of stuff haha

Thanks given by:
What are you doing then? Sticking another HDi in?

I reckon people will sell the complete engines tbh, saves messing about. Smile
Thanks given by:
well looking on fleabay and most people are just selling the blocks.. i think i will go down the route of a rebuild, both mechanics have said that its in a too nice condition to scrap/break

Thanks given by:
Ah right, thats cos theres more money seperating the parts lol. Wink

Personally I'd look for a crashed HDi (rear/side impact!) thats going for peanuts, buy that and swap the engines. Then you know you've got everything you'll need. Obviously stick new belts and stuff on though...oh and a bigger turbo if thats easy enough on HDis lol, pointless upgrading to the same as you've already got. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(15-12-2012, 10:59 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Ah right, thats cos theres more money seperating the parts lol. Wink

Personally I'd look for a crashed HDi (rear/side impact!) thats going for peanuts, buy that and swap the engines. Then you know you've got everything you'll need. Obviously stick new belts and stuff on though...oh and a bigger turbo if thats easy enough on HDis lol, pointless upgrading to the same as you've already got. Big Grin

Current turbo TD04?

cause the bloke thats gonna help me rebuild does subaru rebuilds and fitted a TD05 turbo on my mums bugeye scoob

Thanks given by:
I don't think you'll have a TD04 on a HDi. Think they're GT15s or KO3s standard. TD04's are usually an XUD upgrade. I don't know what the turbo upgrades are for a HDi though, haven't really looked into it.

Now if it was a PD I'd be of more use haha..... Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
(15-12-2012, 11:03 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I don't think you'll have a TD04 on a HDi. Think they're GT15s or KO3s standard. TD04's are usually an XUD upgrade. I don't know what the turbo upgrades are for a HDi though, haven't really looked into it.

HAHA.. guy in the garage said..

Drop a 405 engine into it and turn it into a beast .. Sad

unfortunately its my work horse so no doing that lol

you'd think this time of the year there would be loads of crashed 306s for sale!!

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motor...tem-full-4

road trip!!

Thanks given by:
(15-12-2012, 11:04 AM)kyleo92 Wrote:
(15-12-2012, 11:03 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I don't think you'll have a TD04 on a HDi. Think they're GT15s or KO3s standard. TD04's are usually an XUD upgrade. I don't know what the turbo upgrades are for a HDi though, haven't really looked into it.

HAHA.. guy in the garage said..

Drop a 405 engine into it and turn it into a beast .. Sad

unfortunately its my work horse so no doing that lol

you'd think this time of the year there would be loads of crashed 306s for sale!!

Lol yeah, don't go over the top with a workhorse, don't really want to compromise reliability.......speaking from experience. Confused

Yeah you'd think so, obviously not been enough snow/ice yet though!
Thanks given by:
No i wont do, just literally get its up and running and give it lots of TLC

Thanks given by:
Ahah so it was the turbo then!

Yeah rebuild with that td04 and a fmic fella, should be entertaining enough for you. Won't hurt your mpg or reliability either, so no worries for your daily. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jingle Jangle rattle noise? tigerstyle 9 2,105 06-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  Rattle on lift off? JTaylor2005 9 1,866 01-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  The real cause of injector rattle? JTaylor2005 136 32,922 27-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Paul_13