Coolant Bleed Points Explained

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolant Bleed Points Explained
I can't get my head around the coolant bleed points. I bleed them all up, then the next time I open them there is air in there again. It's only the mid one which doesn't seem to air up. The radiator bleed point for instance, I had bled it up before but it only seems to bleed up if the tank is filled to the top. I had the engine running for 5 minutes and although there were whisps of steam coming out of the bleed point I couldn't get the water to bleed out so I had to leave it. On previous occasions I've had a similar experience with the heater matrix bleed point, although that could have been affected due to the fact it was blocked.
Thanks given by:
Just said this in another post.
If you get a coca cola bottle and cut it In half. Screw it into the coolant tank and fill it to the top so the water level is higher than the highest bleed nipple. Smile it will get rid of the air lock. But always make sure the water level is above Smile.

I use to do this on my old 1.4 when head gasket was on its way.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Its cos those bleed points are effectively above the level of the top of the water in the expansion tank/radiator.

You either need to use the half coke bottle method or put your hand over the top of the tank and blow into the overflow tube to pressurise the system and youll bleed out the other 2 just fine.
Thanks given by:
I recommend a Sainsburys high juice squash bottle, fits perfectly!
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I still don't see why they didn't fit a proper header tank above the highest point (heater matrix pipes). Confused
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2012, 12:47 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I still don't see why they didn't fit a proper header tank above the highest point (heater matrix pipes). Confused

Dude its peugeot thats not how they roll! haha
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Just for future reference, i read this shortly after failing at getting water from the heater matrix bleed point.. Cue a 2litre coke bottle i presume most 2 litre bottles would work, filled it with water opened the rad quickly stuck the bottle in the top the weight of the bottle sealed itself onto the rad, cracked open the bleeder couple of seconds water started spraying out job done Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
iv always just opened the bleed points, take the header tank cap off and just slightly rev the engine untill water comes out. isnt that the best way?
Thanks given by:
If water comes out then it works and that a way to do it i spose! I guess it doesnt go so well for everyone else lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Is there actually any disadvantage to having air in the radiator? As long as the cylinder head one is clear (the middle bleed point) then it is not going to blow the gasket.
Thanks given by:
Yes it wont cool properly... Get that air out lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I have always pressure bled mine its the only sure fire way to do it IMHO
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
hosepipe in the header tank and seal it with your hand Smile
Thanks given by:
I blow into the overflow pipe, whilst someone else is ready to bung the Matrix point when water comes out.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
^^^ this
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Coke bottle trick also works just aswell, they're all the same thing just different ways of doing it lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Can never get the same force behind the system with the coke bottle... Fill up, open bleed points, get a long hose, hand over rad cap, blow until no more air comes through and go through them all a few times... I've always done mine like that...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I don't know what everyone's moaning about - only water came out when I tried bleeding mine - admittedly it was a shitty brown colour at first.
Thanks given by:
(14-12-2012, 06:32 PM)Ruan Wrote: Can never get the same force behind the system with the coke bottle... Fill up, open bleed points, get a long hose, hand over rad cap, blow until no more air comes through and go through them all a few times... I've always done mine like that...

How do you get the water level down after that to add antifreeze to the mixture though? This is what I am stuggling with.
Thanks given by:
get a teaspoon and pour it down the end of the hose pipe first before you use Ruans method Big Grin
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What Ruan said, just open the bleed, put hose in the rad and make a bit of a seal with your hand, dosnt need to be perfect provided you have tap on pretty fast, water will shoot out the bleeds / clear the air then!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(15-12-2012, 08:06 AM)306Puggy Wrote:
(14-12-2012, 06:32 PM)Ruan Wrote: Can never get the same force behind the system with the coke bottle... Fill up, open bleed points, get a long hose, hand over rad cap, blow until no more air comes through and go through them all a few times... I've always done mine like that...

How do you get the water level down after that to add antifreeze to the mixture though? This is what I am stuggling with.

Use ready mixed lol, doesn't cost too much on halfords trade.
Thanks given by:
Lolwat?

So you end up bleeding the system with expensive coolant in?! f*ck that for a bag of chips, I just bleed it up, then drain a bit out the bottom of the radiator, then shove the coolant in... Then before starting it, just open the points again, quick blow to make sure, and all done... That way you won't waste any coolant.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Yeah to save on coolant I fill the rad with water, make a seal and blow to push the water round then top up with water again, seal and blow and do all the bleed points a couple of times and by this point youll be pretty much out of water in the rad, top up with coolant and you should get about 2-3l in. Pressure bleed it all again and the water near the bleed points will only be tap water so you dont loose coolant. Top up the rad again with coolant and your hunky dory.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Radiator bleed screw/ tap vanished, possible better solution simonh 4 1,419 09-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Last Post: simonh
  TD won't start after replacing bleed off tubes jack_o 17 2,522 15-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Bleed points David 19 5,514 22-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Last Post: David