hid kits.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hid kits.
need some help peeps, b day next month and mrs asked me what i wanted.
obviously its going to be something for the car and i came up with a hid kit. trouble is i know little about them.
has anyone fitted these? how easy are they to fit? what bulbs are in a ph3? what price would get me a good set and lastly, are they legal. thanks.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Theyre illegal but noone cares as long as theyre not blinding epoeple
Ebay chinese jobbie will do and i think theyre h7?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
No there not legal. Ph3s are h7 bulbs (providing you have the original twin optic lamps)
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
^ thanks, what about fitting and price? :?:
Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:No there not legal. Ph3s are h7 bulbs (providing you have the original twin optic lamps)
how come you see so many around and anyone know of another way to brighten my path
Thanks given by:
Fitting is just plug and play but youll have to find somewhere to mount the ballasts
Pricewise i think theyre just under 40 quid for the chinese ones
Thanks given by:
Hids are the way forward for better light. Peole say osram nightbreakers are good for an upgrade but still nothing will compare to hid's
Thanks given by:
my mate had em on his mk11 golf and it passed several mots. :think:
Thanks given by:
kingy Wrote:my mate had em on his mk11 golf and it passed several mots. :think:
Mk11 golf? Bloody hell theyre getting through em lol
Yeah depends how theyre mounted if theyre in projectors with the self levelling washers you will be fine. Mot isnt to do with if its legal or not though :-) just to see if its safe
Thanks given by:
They won't pass an mot anymore unless you have a friendly tester.

Philips extreme blue visions are fantastic and give the same light colour as hid's. Cost about 30 quid but have a 12 month warranty.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.
Thanks given by:
bloody hell, dont want to spend moneys on something and not be able to put it on my car. think i will look at the above.
anything i could do with my spots?
Thanks given by:
Cheap 100w bulbs in your spots. Gives loads of light!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Jonny81191 Wrote:Cheap 100w bulbs in your spots. Gives loads of light!
cheers, do you know what type im looking for for my spots?
Thanks given by:
Daniel306 Wrote:Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.
thanks. i think its a no to the hids.
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-H1-448-10 ... 779wt_1199

Here you go mate.

Thanks given by:
nice one mate. i know it said for show use but i think you can get away with ya spots on a mot. :dance:
Thanks given by:
I think it's legal if they're on the main beam switch?

Thanks given by:
right, thats another thing to look in to. my todo list is getting bloody bigger, not smaller. carnt be that hard to wire up can it.
Thanks given by:
Do you know what type Ph2 fog bulbs are? there the ones with the wire coming off the back?
Thanks given by:
You could put hids on, it only takes 2 minutes to take them off for a test.
[Image: 20120110_141823-1-1-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
http://www.theywhoshallnotbenamed/forum/showthread. ... +high+beam

Thanks given by:
I'm not going through all this again............ :roll:

In summary -

- they are illegal when retrofitted to lamp units designed for a filament bulb
-passing an MOT is not a test of legality, its a test to make sure the vehicle is fit to be used on the road

I will leave it at that, if anyone doesn't agree go and read the last HID thread Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
thanks mark, now i dont know what to do. shall i or sharnt i
Thanks given by:
Do it!!!!

There are a lot of things that we do to our vehicles which could be classified as illegal. For instance, led side lights or number plate lights, removal off air bags, lense tinting, decats, wheels wider than wheel arches etc.
[Image: 20120110_141823-1-1-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I used to be cool and have HID's on my car, then I took an arrow in the knee.

(If you don't understand, oh noes :cry: )
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
I got a set the other day. Absolute piece of piss to fit and are a massive improvement over stock
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
if you get HID's i will do the same as i do to any HID person - tell them to go f*ck themselves!

hate them with a passion...
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
The whole blinding people thing is car specific.. mine don't blind people in fact lately i've had more people with standard halogens blinding me than anything else
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:if you get HID's i will do the same as i do to any HID person - tell them to go fornicate themselves!

hate them with a passion...

If nobody else agrees I will stand with you on this! If you want HID lights then buy a car that has them legally fitted from the factory so you don't blind everyone.

Danny you can claim all you like, a HID bulb is not a filament like a normal bulb as as a result gives out a totally different light pattern to the standard bulb, this in turn means that the reflector cannot direct the beam properly and you end up with the gay scatter pattern that blinds everyone!

You can claim what ever you like for as long as you like, it doesn't change one bit the fact that they are illegal and shite when retrofitted to lamp units not designed for them!!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difference between these clutch kits? Ben 12 5,914 13-06-2017, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Ben