Moving to Canada

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving to Canada
Just a little idea iv had in my head for a few months now and after speaking to a few people, including a friend who went out there over a year ago, iv decided that I want to go out there, initialy just on a 'working year' basis with a company called Bunac (google 'em) but with full intentions of staying out there long term if all goes well.

Just wondering if anybody has done anything similar before, has friends/family that have done it or any thoughts/advice on the whole experience.

Il be saving up over the next year and hope to go out at the beginning of 2014. Plan being to get out there, stay in a hostel for the initial few weeks while I settle in, get an easy/min wage job in a bar/restuarant etc and then find somewhere to rent and eventually go for a more permanent job doing something a bit more specific.

Not 100% on where id want to be based either, although the flights go out to Vancouver (East) and Toronto (West), if anybody has any experience of anywhere in Canada.

Cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
best get my bosch conversion done soonish then!
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
(10-12-2012, 09:13 PM)Ben Jay Wrote: best get my bosch conversion done soonish then!

do it your self you lazy bastard. oh wait, you can't!

See kim is reading this. expect a long reply from her and scott!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Although a different company, I did the same thing but went to Australia.
Honestly it is absolutely the best experience you can imagine, moving to and living in another country gives you such a different perspective on living and teaches you a lot of stuff. The culture difference is unbelievable anywhere you go and I really think it makes you a better person.
You'll soon end up wanting to stay longer as I did as you realise the quality of life elsewhere is so different but so much better than what you are used to.

One of my friends brothers is currently in Toronto after finishing Uni - and after doing small bits of work in bars etc has landed a full time job as a gig event manager which is pretty cool and absolutely loves it.

Honestly don't think twice about doing it, just go and unless you get hit by a bus you won't look back.

[Image: tumblr_l8pt0dNOGG1qddjb4o1_250.gif]
Thanks given by:
Niall - Dan's already had my thoughts about this on Facebook Smile
Thanks given by:
I've worked 2 winter seasons in canada love it there, would be living there now if it wasn't for other situations.
My brother lives in vancouver now went for a year and hasn't come back, 2.5 years now. getting a further visa for longer than a year isn't the easiest thing in the world and if you can sort a job and have skills more likely to make it a bit easier.

definitely head west side though BC is where its at, amazing bie riding in the summer and awesome snowboarding in the winter, not sure what more you can want out of life?!

just to be pedantic vancouver is west side, lots of fresh snow amazing mountains, and toronto is east, french and f*cking icey, head west!!
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
always thought you looked a bit Canadian anyway . .lol . .. . well i've got some family near Toronto and they seem to like it, my Uncle's just moved back here after about 15 years out there . .do it while you can mate, few years down the line you may not have the option . .Smile x
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the replies, espcially VLJ and Joe.

Im completely set on going, im actually struggling to see any downsides other than not seeing family/friends anymore, but its a compromise I think id be happy to make for the change in lifestyle and experience.
Thanks given by:
The guy with white rallye Ben306? Went out there a few years ago might be worth dropping him a PM.
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2012, 09:47 PM)Dan! Wrote: Cheers for the replies, espcially VLJ and Joe.

Im completely set on going, im actually struggling to see any downsides other than not seeing family/friends anymore, but its a compromise I think id be happy to make for the change in lifestyle and experience.

At first I got a bit down that I barely ever got to speak to them due to the massive time difference but if they know you want to be there and enjoy it then it works out and the time you do get to speak to them is so much more worth it. Do it and don't think about negatives the positives massively outweigh it
Thanks given by:
just so you know its pretty expensive out there atm, or England is becoming one of the cheap places in the world, yes I know how stupid this sounds.

and about keeping in contact with internet social sites, skype etc its pretty easy, its not exactly hard to jump on a flight and get back if you need/want to either
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
My oldsmoved to oz. they love it. You make new friends... they come and go... and family are just a phone call away... download viber, i use that to speak to my olds and its really good and free over the internet...

Deffiantly go for it if you can dude
Thanks given by:
BC is known to be one of the more expensive provinces there (in Alberta, BC means 'Bring Cash') due to high state taxes for various things. A lot of food is imported so in terms of cost of living that can be higher, but on the whole, cars are cheaper, land is cheaper, jobs pay better. What's not to like? I'd agree that not seeing people would be tough initially but I genuinely think it'll be a great idea and you should do it while you can. As said, you can always just jump on a plane and head back if you decide it's not for you. It's what, a 13 hour slight to Vancouver, and less to most other places in Canada?
Thanks given by:
As long as they have xud 306's out there then I say go for it
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If i didnt live on a farm here, Id have been out the UK as soon as i was older enough to legally get out!

***in hate it over here.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
BC is an amazing place, but as mentioned - damned expensive, I went to BC to go to Whistler a few years back to go cycling and stayed in Vancouver for two weeks also and went up and down the coast a bit whilst there, it is a lovely place...

I'd happily live there... It's just the whole work visa thing, Canada have damned strict immigration laws.

If you don't mind not being by the coast, the interior of BC is amazing also... The coast is very expensive, but I hear East a little and it's nowhere near as bad.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Massive yes, go go go. Jealous isn't the word!

Don't want to intrude but what would Hannah do, the same thing? Or try & get a job in her line of work? Wouldn't want you to struggle trying to support you both from a single income.
Thanks given by:
My wee sister's currently out in St John's in Newfoundland. The place looks beautiful and she's having a great time out there studying marine biology.

One of the things that's always appealed is in Summer she gets 30 degree sunny days and in winter they get feet upon feet of snow, proper seasons, but they're equipped to deal with the cold so much better than here.

I say go for it mate
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I've spent two years in SA and have travelled quite a lot with the company, I love it and would advise to do it, but make sure you have a solid footing first. A lot of immigration departments are actually very wary of people entering on holiday visas and working, and you generally need employment up front for a working visa.

Mate of mine went to Australia 14 months ago and is still happy, just finds that his mrs gets homesick.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
This country is falling to bits mate, get out while you can and your still young to do so!!!! This country is being taken over by immagrants and is only going to get worse especially in 2014 when the relax the immagration limits even more!!
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd definitely say go for it as soon as possible. It sounds like something you've put a lot of thought into and really want to do, just don't leave it too late, you don't want to regret not going when you're older.

I don't know anything about Canada, but it's gotta be better than England!!
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2012, 09:13 PM)Niall Wrote: See kim is reading this. expect a long reply from her and scott!

I would love to go, but I need to explore different provinces first. Dan if you can go then do it!

When we were in Alberta we didn't see a single 306 btw, you might be lost. However, 4 wheel drive on a lift kit ftw?

And how can you refuse a skyline like this as you drive around the city?

[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
Dont think ull see many french cars over there!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
You don't, they stick with American, Japanese/Chinese and now some German. Mostly big cars to cope with the weather/big roads, so when we saw a Smart car driving through the city it was pretty funny!
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
Heh, just think dan, you can drive a 6bt cummins as your daily with twins and 1000whp!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moving fag charger location Mac22 7 1,677 24-12-2016, 10:33 PM
Last Post: Mac22
  House moving cost cpikey316_ 22 4,612 30-07-2016, 06:20 AM
Last Post: cpikey316_
  Maybe moving.... to Stroud! Anyone local? cpikey316_ 5 3,297 29-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Last Post: cpikey316_