Exhaust options - help a ginger out!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust options - help a ginger out!
So my exhaust needs sorting out, theres holes throughout and im looking at getting a new system out...

I have found a de cat - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-306-1-...3f12667c71

and a centre section - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-306-1-...336fbf4fd7

just looking for a back box now, this is where i need help...

DO I

I - for for an aftermarket exhaust
II - go for a standard exhuaust
III - something different??

links welcomed!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
there's no centre box in that section, de-cat pipe is fine but if you run de-cat and de-centre box with just a back box it will be quite loud . (maybe that's what you want?) . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
You can get the decat cheaper from a motor factor, or elsewhere online. Just ask for an early downpipe, doesn't have to be a 'decat'. Mine was about £20, a while ago though.

Then just get the straight through centre with either a middle box at the back, or an aftermarket backbox. You can always whack a nice tip on the middle box to make it look a bit better.
Thanks given by:
Mattcheese31 Wrote:there's no centre box in that section, de-cat pipe is fine but if you run de-cat and de-centre box with just a back box it will be quite loud . (maybe that's what you want?) . .Smile

yep thats the plan - straight through to back box is the plan, when you say it will be loud, TOO loud or just 'louder'?
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:
Mattcheese31 Wrote:there's no centre box in that section, de-cat pipe is fine but if you run de-cat and de-centre box with just a back box it will be quite loud . (maybe that's what you want?) . .Smile

yep thats the plan - straight through to back box is the plan, when you say it will be loud, TOO loud or just 'louder'?
how loud is loud mate? . . . . .how long is a piece of string? . . lol . . .will depend on your choice of backbox as well of course, i have decat, centrebox and a big fartcan on the end, about 4" wide at a guess, that set-up gets me heard put it that way . Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Mattcheese31 Wrote:how loud is loud mate?

1 ---------------------------------------- 5 ----------------------------------------10
quiet................................................bareable................................................... loud as fook!

Where would you place it on this scale :geek:
Thanks given by:
anything over stock (76db aparently) is illegal
hence why my old one straight through was 101db
and last one with 1 box was 97db
and i got 6 points and £200 fine for it.
[Image: sig-1.jpg]

106 Xud9 Conversion GtiD (2nd Engine Rebuild)
SOLD

Dan! Wrote:Want me to blow this one up for you aswel?
Thanks given by:
Diggers Wrote:anything over stock (76db aparently) is illegal

wow... how on earth are you supposed to measure it?! /checks app

downloadede free app for DB reading - and my tv is on regular volume, about 3 meters away and thats at 55 - 65 db?!?!?

pretty sure my engine alone is over 100db, let alone the exhaust...
Thanks given by:
Whats this nonsense of 'moving the mid box to the back'? Why not just get rid of the cat and backbox and leave the mid box be? Thats what I've got and it's perfect.
Thanks given by:

Stupid that mate, what a knob. Did the copper know you before hand as that is steep.

When is the reading taken, idle, 2krpm, 6krpm?
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
it was done with a db meter, ive got one, as the one before last ea meet we did some of the cars.
and he was a wanker copper, harshest in the area, and i got him Sad

and dvla says 75db or 76db for direct injection diesel

SOLD

Thanks given by:
Flynn Wrote:Whats this nonsense of 'moving the mid box to the back'? Why not just get rid of the cat and backbox and leave the mid box be? Thats what I've got and it's perfect.

its easier imo to mount a back box than it is to fiddle with it all + visually looks better

AND diggers, where are they measuring from? right on the exhaust? it sounds balls to me - theres so much more to consider - refracting sound waves from the road for starters...
Thanks given by:
Mattcheese31 Wrote:
ginge191 Wrote:yep thats the plan - straight through to back box is the plan, when you say it will be loud, TOO loud or just 'louder'?
how loud is loud mate? . . . . .how long is a piece of string? . . lol . . .will depend on your choice of backbox as well of course, i have decat, centrebox and a big fartcan on the end, about 4" wide at a guess, that set-up gets me heard put it that way . Smile
Mine is also turbo back pipe to a backbox with very little baffling in and a 4" outward rolled exhaust tip. The bigger the bore of pipe the deeper the noise will be too just to bear that in mind On your scale ginge i would put it at a 6 or 7. The petrols are louder when on full chat:-)
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:
Mattcheese31 Wrote:how loud is loud mate?

1 ---------------------------------------- 5 ----------------------------------------10
quiet................................................bareable................................................... loud as fook!

Where would you place it on this scale :geek:
don't know mate . . . . . .everyone is always turning round to look what's coming lol . . . .spesh if i boot her . whistle
Thanks given by:
i've got a nearly new bosal complete exhaust in the garage doing nothing. Need it gone so make me an offer if you want Smile
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:
Flynn Wrote:Whats this nonsense of 'moving the mid box to the back'? Why not just get rid of the cat and backbox and leave the mid box be? Thats what I've got and it's perfect.

its easier imo to mount a back box than it is to fiddle with it all + visually looks better

AND diggers, where are they measuring from? right on the exhaust? it sounds balls to me - theres so much more to consider - refracting sound waves from the road for starters...
1 mtr away 45 degress, same as race tracks

SOLD

Thanks given by:
londondan86 Wrote:

Stupid that mate, what a knob. Did the copper know you before hand as that is steep.

When is the reading taken, idle, 2krpm, 6krpm?

Sounds like he got bent over. The law states that the exhaust can not be modified to make it louder than it left the factory. This fails on a few points:

1. How do the roadside police know how loud it was from the factory?
2. How did he measure it? IIRC only VOSA have those facilities to be used at the roadside, not regular Pandas or Highways.
3. The law says the exhaust can't be modified - grey area, does that mean you cant drill holes in the exhaust and remove the baffles? If you swap it, different manufacturers will have different specs of silencer so it may well end up louder than it left the factory.

How on earth can they regulate that? Only thing I can think of is antisocial order offences. Even then though you don't get points as it's not a road traffic offence.

100dB IS loud though. Very loud.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
as above mentions, christ you get scoobys roaring around and they're fairly standard - louder than 76db im thinking.
Thanks given by:
Go like me from front too back just nothing there just pipes Big Grin
VOSA av already made me take this off once for it been 35db over the legal db pmsl

[Image: dirtyderv4.jpg]

This is really loud now its running all right no leaks or anything ill try get one of my mates too video it so u can hear it Big Grin
[Image: mintsig.jpg]
STAGE2 XUD DEAD ATM ENGINE REBUILD
GARRET T2-BOSCH PUMP-GROUNDED LDA PIN-GOV MOD-FMIC-STRAIT THRU STAINLESS EXHAUST SYSTEM
COMING SOON TD04 Big Grin
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:as above mentions, christ you get scoobys roaring around and they're fairly standard - louder than 76db im thinking.
There an excepction cos they 90db frm factory because they jap. The whole system is f*cked,

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

SOLD

Thanks given by:
rediculous - i'd extremely tempted to question this for hours with a 'test' on this.. rediculous
Thanks given by:
Hey ginge thats the exact de-cat and centre section ive fitted with the standars backbox and its not that loud at all, a bit deeper and more diesel chug and the turbo sounds louder, but nothing much at all. deffo pulls better now too. ill try get a vid if i get mine started!
Thanks given by:
In all seriousness, XUD9s aren't THAT loud on idle or even if you bring up the RPMs, the turbo cancels out a massive amount of noise... It's really only when the wastegate opens up that is becomes LOUD.

GTi6 induction noise with a pipercross or similar on is a significant amount louder than a DT with a "sport" exhaust... And just wait until they've got throttle bodies...

As people who heard my car at Ace will vouch, it's absolutely silent on idle tbh, to a massive roar on full boost... Long as you get *A* backbox on the back, you'll be fine... Don't drive round with nothing on, you WILL get pulled for it and they CAN do you for it...

The rest is pretty gray..
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
If you've got a new MOT ticket on I'd risk it and just have a straight through, they sound better then any system I've seen.

If thats not an option then just keep one box on, any box you like the look of really.

I've got straight through to Cherry Bomb just for the re-sale factor.

Already been asked if I'd sell it by a few people I know.

Doesn't sound all that bad and looking in it its more or less a straight through box with some expansion pockets.

As said above, I drove around with no box for around six months with no problems (living in the country side should be fine).

Within living in the city for a couple of months I got pulled and issued a ticket to have a box put on.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Worth asking about the spec of the 'box by the way, vast majority are designed for petrols and have quite a bit of baffling inside which won't do much for your flow. Or you could buy one then rip a load of the baffling out, that's going to make it louder though, so....
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Mine is so much louder then 76bd (I know mine is petrol) and my mates 325 beemer is stupidly loud and he hasnt been pulled. Think you may have been unlucky!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
They're arent many options for a backbox that fits standard centre though.. is there? Well something thats not 100quid sportex anyway lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I've purchased a non dpf down pipe, non silenced centre section and a stock backbox, going to see what thats like when I fit it Saturday. I'll try and get a vid. Think there's piper boxes too Tom.
PH1 FTMFW!
Thanks given by:
I have a decat pipe in to std mid box & in to a piper gti6 back box with a 4 inch exit....burbals on tick over but higher up the rev range it's quiet and you hear turbo whistle Wink
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Piper backboxes are even more expensive arent they? lol i need to decat mine aswell :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust options for fresh turbo 306Puggy 9 3,566 09-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Last Post: jay5488
  Exhaust options Ben Jay 14 2,696 17-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Last Post: WiNgNuTz
  Exhaust options Ben Jay 12 2,364 09-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Ben Jay