Clutch aligning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch aligning
Just putting Ben's clutch on and the friction plate/pressure plate line up with each other centrally fine, but they wont line up or sit central with the furthest hole in the end of the crank, as you can see in the below picture:

What silly thing are we doing wrong? Pressure plate obviously sits on the 3 locating dowels on the flywheel, flywheel is central on the crank.. :-S and if we rotate the pressure plate it will just be out of central by another 120*....

Halp
Thanks given by:
[Image: ACT-clutch-alignment-tool.jpg]

I'm assumign you used the allignment tool?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
kits usually come with a plastic aligning tool...blue candle like thing
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
How would an aligning tool change the placement of the pressure plate in relation to the flywheel when it sits precisely on 3 locating dowels? Alignment tool is for the friction plate/pressure plate alingning, the pressure plate should surely sit central as soon as you fit it because of the locating dowels.
Thanks given by:
you cant get the pressure plate wrong in my view...so long as you have located the plate with the correct holes, IE not the bolt holes? and then bolted it in ok.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Just put the box on that'll line it all up! Wink
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
but thats why you align it...if you dont the box wont go on
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
1. put the plate aginst the clutch cover and then locate them on the 3 dowels
2. put all 6 bolts around the clutch cover in place---FINGER TIGHT ONLY !!
3. look through the hole in the centre, the plate will probably have dropped downwards out of line
4. using a large phillips screwdriver---push it through the cover and through the centre plate so its touching the recess in the back of the crankshaft
5. using screwdriver as a lever, lift /move the plate about so it looks central when you are looking in through the clutch cover
6. when you are sure its central, ONLY THEN TIGHTEN 6 COVER BOLTS.
7. NOW PUT THE GEARBOX IN
Thanks given by:
The above is exactly what we tried to do, and it lined the friction plate up pretty well with the pressure plate but left us with the above problem.

If you were to forget about the friction plate, and just put the pressure plate on the flywheel, you would expect the thrust bearing hole to line up with the centre of the flywheel, and therefore the hole in the end of the crank plate (the bit the flywheel locates onto).

Can't really think of how to describe it any better, but hopefully that made it a bit clearer, or maybe I just said what dan did in different words!
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Use alignment tool to line the FRICTION plate up with the flywheel, if you dont have a tool, cut the input shaft out an old xud gearbox, thats what i use, far more accurate / strong than any plastic shitty thing..

The bearing will move left right / up down with slight force (thats why you cant line all 3 up) , it can slide on the forks, so just move it till its central / just shove the box on and the box will line it up for you Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
FAO - dan!/Ben

I have the alignment tool in my boot if you need one guys?
[Image: edit2_zpsbe60b3ca.jpg]

Team derv FLAME and CONROD spitters
Thanks given by:
Cheers Darren will have another go then. That is the way I thought about doing it but for some reason I completely forgot when it came to it.

Yes Mowle that would be great! Let me know when your next in Acle..
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 07:12 PM)Ben Wrote: Cheers Darren will have another go then. That is the way I thought about doing it but for some reason I completely forgot when it came to it.

Yes Mowle that would be great! Let me know when your next in Acle..

Can run it down in abit if you want?

Thanks given by:
Nah no rush mate I've stopped for today, just whenever your next at Rhys's or whatever
Thanks given by:
Ok buddy, I'll give you a ring after midday tomorrow

Thanks given by:
Cheers
Thanks given by: