lighting mods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lighting mods
(12-12-2012, 05:32 PM)Tom Wrote: Can we have some more pictures of the puddle lights please? Smile Preferably in the day time i want to do something like that myself just keen to see how you've done it Smile

Yuh sure! I just sealed the LED chips into custom made waterproof containers (a bit scruffy, will do it better next time!). Then put the wire in through the mirror joint, added another push connector. The wire then comes out by the tweeter on the inside of the door.

Got some more photos of the light itself that look a bit better too! Not sure if it would look so good on other colour cars, but it looks great on the metallic grey.

Thanks given by:
Cheers bud! They look good im having trouble sorting some kind of housing for the bulbs! Bulbs and wiring should ok its just sort out the physical bulb, in my mind i'd like it in the miirror with some sort of flush lense to keep it as oem as possible but thats going to be easier said than done lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
why dont you cut the bottom of the mirror and house the bulbs inside the mirror casing?
Thanks given by:
Because that, i think, would light up the mirror housing aswell like all round the crack where the mirror cap joins on, i really want it focused on the floor somehow :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
dont think it would you if could mount them flush enough... just drill out just enough, or put some black tape around the join so light cant get out, would also help to water proof it
Thanks given by:
I am going to make them flush, these are just prototypes, didn't want to bee cutting up my mirrors if the light looked rubbish! I will keep you posted.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Smile Best of luck! Big Grin
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 02:30 PM)nauest Wrote: Interesting point about the bsi, I did think about that as I knew it was a digital circuit. I checked and the interior lights can take 4 or 5 watt T10 bulbs, and seeing as my current courtesy bulbs are 2x 4 watts and the LEDS use less than 1 watt, still within the max rating. Luckily for us filament bulbs are horrendously inefficient! btw, the LEDS in the tailgate that sam linked are much more powerful than the ones under the mirrors.

I figure as long as you don't go over 10 watts combined lighting you are fine.

Either way there must be some sort of protection, if one of the interior bulbs was shorted (quite possible) it would blow your ECU? I doubt even peugeot are that stupid!

no it would short your bsi. At best, it may blow a fuse. at worst, could destroy your bsi.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2012, 07:04 PM)Niall Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 02:30 PM)nauest Wrote: Interesting point about the bsi, I did think about that as I knew it was a digital circuit. I checked and the interior lights can take 4 or 5 watt T10 bulbs, and seeing as my current courtesy bulbs are 2x 4 watts and the LEDS use less than 1 watt, still within the max rating. Luckily for us filament bulbs are horrendously inefficient! btw, the LEDS in the tailgate that sam linked are much more powerful than the ones under the mirrors.

Either way there must be some sort of protection, if one of the interior bulbs was shorted (quite possible) it would blow your ECU? I doubt even peugeot are that stupid!

no it would short your bsi. At best, it may blow a fuse. at worst, could destroy your bsi.

Why would it blow it if I haven't gone over the maximum rating for the interior bulbs? Rating = 5w + 5w = 10w, my set up currently uses 4 + 4 + 0.9 +0.9 = 9.8w less than peugeot say you can fit.

Besides as I said earlier, I deliberately shorted out the interior lighting BSi on a scrapyard 306 HDi to check, it did no damage and automatically reset after a while. The courtesy light system (Plus everything else I checked, engine, cl, ews etc) still works on that car. You cant beat a bit of research in the field! The BSi must have overload protection.

My car has also been working with the system for a while, no issues at all.

Although I cant be held responsible for damage for anyone else who tries it Tongue

Sorry, I just realized you where referring to if the bulb shorted.

Apparently not! It didn't even blow a fuse, I guess the overload system is faster than the fuse blow time. Could have been a fluke though.

I still reckon under 10 watts is perfectly safe, i.e. adding only 2 1 watt LED packs or less.
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2012, 07:41 PM)nauest Wrote:
(12-12-2012, 07:04 PM)Niall Wrote:

Why would it blow it if I haven't gone over the maximum rating for the interior bulbs? Rating = 5w + 5w = 10w, my set up currently uses 4 + 4 + 0.9 +0.9 = 9.8w less than peugeot say you can fit.

Besides as I said earlier, I deliberately shorted out the interior lighting BSi on a scrapyard 306 HDi to check, it did no damage and automatically reset after a while. The courtesy light system (Plus everything else I checked, engine, cl, ews etc) still works on that car. You cant beat a bit of research in the field! The BSi must have overload protection.

My car has also been working with the system for a while, no issues at all.

Although I cant be held responsible for damage for anyone else who tries it Tongue

Sorry, I just realized you where referring to if the bulb shorted.

Apparently not! It didn't even blow a fuse, I guess the overload system is faster than the fuse blow time. Could have been a fluke though.

I still reckon under 10 watts is perfectly safe, i.e. adding only 2 1 watt LED packs or less.

iirc the rear roof light isnt actually powered by the bsi but i could be wrong there. and like with anything electrical, it might not of happened but if there is no protection, it COULD happen. Not saying it will but could
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
You guys are worrying me now (sorry to bring this thread back to life).

I had plans to add some extra lighting, particularly to the rear hatch area. One thing I thought of doing was splicing into the rear numberplate lights (as these are LEDs and quite bright) and having that work off the boot light too. Pressumably this is a very simple circuit without too much risk of killing anything?

I like the idea of puddle lights too but this has put me off. I don't think a GCSE in electronics is enough to see me through without worrying!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Using LEDs will b fine IMO because they draw a lot less than standard bulbs do
Thanks given by:
Let's put this into perspective. In my old 1.4, which had the fading lights linked to the bsi, I took the bulbs out of the standard interior lights, and had 6 x 5mm led spots in the roof lining, as well as 3 x 30cm led strips all running off the interior lighting circuit, and never had a problem. Even when I had 4 x 5cm led strips under the door handles as well, was still fine.
So stop being paranoid.

/thread.
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Consider me told! Lol.

Every time I treat the car to a new mod something breaks elsewhere....
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
^ ain't that the f*cking truth!!
Thanks given by:
I've got a very similar setup in the DT, but i havent got the fading lights any more, just the crappy "pushy switch" things by the hinges of the front doors only. Sad
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  interior lighting Aaron _d95 25 6,705 25-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Grant