lighting mods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lighting mods
Just wanted to post up the results of a few lighting mods on my HDi Estate.

First was under mirror LED White puddle lights, wired into the phase 3 courtesy light circuit.

They are very bright and look sweet, come on when car is unlocked or door opened, they stay on till ignition, time out or car locked. Great if you drop something or in the dark old countryside!

The next is LED floodlights in the boot lid, this one is very effective (probably more useful than the first Tongue)

The lighting in the boot is appalling, as I'm sure you have all noticed, especially without the courtesy lights on. The estate is particularly bad, if you put anything big in the boot you get plunged into darkness! I really wanted to fix this so added these lights.

These are wired into the boot open microswitch.

Thanks given by:
i like the idea of the rear led floodlights but you can keep the mirror light
Smile
Thanks given by:
mirror lights arnt a good idea if you have run them straight off the interior light!
They are powered via the bsi which is only rated to a very minimum amperage. Top this and there is a chance you could wreck the bsi which then means either new ecu, key and bsi or take it to someone with PP to program in a new bsi.

Personally id do it via a relay but problem is there, its not a stable voltage. It varies so getting a relay to work properly (and last) and not make funny noises is fun. You can do a simple bit of circuitry and have it so the relay only activates at 12v but then the puddle lights will be on/off. None of this fading in/out
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
surely though the LEDs increase the amperage so minimally compared to the standard interior bulbs that it be ok?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Actually that boot one is quite good! The hatch boot lights are alright but the estate one (where you have the big boot to put more shit in it!) is rubbish! Its even worse in Sams as his boot light doesn't work lol, dunno if he's noticed yet though! lol
Thanks given by:
nice work . .thinking of doing something very similar myself . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 10:14 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Actually that boot one is quite good! The hatch boot lights are alright but the estate one (where you have the big boot to put more shit in it!) is rubbish! Its even worse in Sams as his boot light doesn't work lol, dunno if he's noticed yet though! lol

is that my top light? It works now that ive switched it to the right position tom! haha
Thanks given by:
where you get these leds from? linky??
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
theyre off ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330731438669?s...1439.l2649

do you not have to put any resistors in line with these? D:
Thanks given by:
Very cool! I'd like puddle lights or something like that.. Im regularly parking in puddles and/or mud etc!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I didnt use the mirror lights, i just got a set of 30cm LED strips, and attached them to the underside of the door:

[Image: 2012-10-24190757.jpg]

[Image: 2012-10-24190735.jpg]

Does the same job. Big Grin

Pictures dont do the light output any justice, when its really dark (ie. on my driveway) they light up a good couple of feet behind the door!
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I've been thinking about wiring this in on the courtesy light circuit. Want puddle and feet area lighting up...

But if its gonna fudge the ECU I'm not such a fan!
Thanks given by:
ecu?.....pffffft....what ecu? XUD FTMFUW lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Interesting point about the bsi, I did think about that as I knew it was a digital circuit. I checked and the interior lights can take 4 or 5 watt T10 bulbs, and seeing as my current courtesy bulbs are 2x 4 watts and the LEDS use less than 1 watt, still within the max rating. Luckily for us filament bulbs are horrendously inefficient! btw, the LEDS in the tailgate that sam linked are much more powerful than the ones under the mirrors.

I figure as long as you don't go over 10 watts combined lighting you are fine.

Either way there must be some sort of protection, if one of the interior bulbs was shorted (quite possible) it would blow your ECU? I doubt even peugeot are that stupid!
Thanks given by:
this light fade thing I assumed was standard...my phase 1 does it?!...thats not got a ECU controlled bus crap

PS...call that lighting???....

[Image: DSC01763.jpg]
[Image: 7.jpg]

Wink
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
So the even non ECUed cars have the faders? I might check to see how they are all wired up, might be an independent Bsi for that kind of stuff. I just think the ECU is too important to be attached to a bus unit that is connected to un essential kit like locking and lights, but then this is peugeot we are talking about...
Thanks given by:
My phase 2 XUD has faders too, again no ECU
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
haha, nice boot lights! Shame you cant actually put anything in there though Tongue.
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 02:46 PM)nauest Wrote: haha, nice boot lights! Shame you cant actually put anything in there though Tongue.

ah but you can...hence the shelf built in...can get couple bags in easy.

shame its not a 306!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Right, I tried this on a scrapped car just to see how it worked out, I shorted out the interior lighting circuit. I wanted to be sure it wasn't going to cause any issues.

This is what happened:

The courtesy lights stopped working completely under any input, (unlock, door or switch) didn't effect any other systems. Was completely restored by unplugging battery, waiting, recoonecting. Apparently the BSI is much cleverer than expected! It must have some sort of short circuit/therm isolator.

So don't worry people! Just keep it sensible.

Sweet, clever set up! What is it then?

These are what I have under the mirrors, I have put them into waterproof boxes. They are very small and 0.9 watts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251021935418?s...1439.l2649
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 02:51 PM)nauest Wrote: Sweet, clever set up! What is it then?

[Image: colt1.jpg]
[Image: colt3.jpg]

my favourite car to date...should of never sold it...but I did...then the punk who bought it wrote it off and killed a biker in the process Doh
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 11:16 AM)SRowell Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 10:14 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Actually that boot one is quite good! The hatch boot lights are alright but the estate one (where you have the big boot to put more shit in it!) is rubbish! Its even worse in Sams as his boot light doesn't work lol, dunno if he's noticed yet though! lol

is that my top light? It works now that ive switched it to the right position tom! haha

No, your actual boot light, its right at the back on the right hand side. I didnt even realise it was there until I got the china lol.

Also, this can't have anything to do with the engine ECU! Its gotta be built in to either a comfort module (if 306s have these?) or the central locking ECU I'd assume?
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 03:10 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 02:51 PM)nauest Wrote: Sweet, clever set up! What is it then?

my favourite car to date...should of never sold it...but I did...then the punk who bought it wrote it off and killed a biker in the process Doh

Oh, that sucks real bad Sad Looked like a nice motor too.
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 05:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 11:16 AM)SRowell Wrote:

No, your actual boot light, its right at the back on the right hand side. I didnt even realise it was there until I got the china lol.

Also, this can't have anything to do with the engine ECU! Its gotta be built in to either a comfort module (if 306s have these?) or the central locking ECU I'd assume?

I have one of those? musnt be working then haha
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 05:06 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 05:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 11:16 AM)SRowell Wrote: is that my top light? It works now that ive switched it to the right position tom! haha

It isn't working lol, never did! I bet some 'tard put a bloody LED in that one too.... Dodgy
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 05:07 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 05:06 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 05:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote: No, your actual boot light, its right at the back on the right hand side. I didnt even realise it was there until I got the china lol.

It isn't working lol, never did! I bet some 'tard put a bloody LED in that one too.... Dodgy

Surprised it wasn't Sam himself, he loves his cheapy LEDs, the ones he gave me for my rear plate lasted about 3 weeks Tongue. New ones seem much better quality, Im still yet to figure out Why LEDs don't ever seem to last as long as they should....

(08-12-2012, 12:32 PM)SRowell Wrote: theyre off ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330731438669?s...1439.l2649

do you not have to put any resistors in line with these? D:

No They are designed for 12v the LED chips have SM Resistors built in.
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 05:09 PM)nauest Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 05:07 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 05:06 PM)SRowell Wrote: I have one of those? musnt be working then haha

Surprised it wasn't Sam himself, he loves his cheapy LEDs, the ones he gave me for my rear plate lasted about 3 weeks Tongue. New ones seem much better quality, Im still yet to figure out Why LEDs don't ever seem to last as long as they should....

Because cheap chinese LEDs are shit and I really dislike them! lol When I got Sams estate it was full of the bloody things! Both courtesy lights were blue and the dash was half working with a few really bright spots...of course the rest of them didn't work at all.... Rolleyes I replaced them all with real bulbs that actually work instead haha!
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 05:14 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 05:09 PM)nauest Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 05:07 PM)Toms306 Wrote: It isn't working lol, never did! I bet some 'tard put a bloody LED in that one too.... Dodgy

Because cheap chinese LEDs are shit and I really dislike them! lol When I got Sams estate it was full of the bloody things! Both courtesy lights were blue and the dash was half working with a few really bright spots...of course the rest of them didn't work at all.... Rolleyes I replaced them all with real bulbs that actually work instead haha!

Haha, yuh that sounds about right! I only use LEDs where there is no alternative, his LED sidelights always made me lol, looks like a Council estate at christmas.
Thanks given by:
My LED side lights are amazing Ill have you know! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Can we have some more pictures of the puddle lights please? Smile Preferably in the day time i want to do something like that myself just keen to see how you've done it Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  interior lighting Aaron _d95 25 6,728 25-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Grant