Advice on Projects! Estate, 1.8, Track?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on Projects! Estate, 1.8, Track?
He already has the wrong (50) profiles lol.

Has yours been dyno'd Jonny? If so how much? I'm sure it is quicker dont get me wrong, just dont thnk it'll be that much. Obviously it'll feel quicker with torquier diesel, but in an actual race? Hmmmm.... See heres the thing with hdi vs 1.8 - yes youve got boost in a HDi, but the 1.8s got revs and will pull from anywhere right round to the red tbh. The hdi drops off boost at gearchanges and runs out of puff quick in each gear which looses you the torque and with such a small torque band, even though you have more torque for a shorter time, I think it'd be fairly even. I've got no doubt at all that the 1.8 would take a stage 1 HDi estate from a standing start. 30-70 in 3rd, not so sure. Stage 2 HDi estate would beat it, but with 100 extra kg, not by much I reckon. Would be interesting to find out with proof though, raher than just guesstimates using power/weight and revs vs boost.
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 06:55 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: sam don't bother with 50 profiles. If i were you I'd lower it on springs, uprated dampers, thicker (23.5mm) torsion bars, decent uprated rear shocks, and get some 16" wheels. Then check everything's attached properly suspension wise and you should have a pretty epic machine. Mine is happy around corners at some pretty silly speeds, always feels very predictable though, and never feels like it's leaning at all.

Also, I'm sorry tom, but you're talking bollocks. There's no way on this planet sam's 1.8 could keep up with my estate. Wouldn't even get close. Unless we're talking well into 3 figures, but even then I'd possibly have the edge.

I dont know Jonny. The 1.8 did put out a million horse power according to the dyno at FCS! TMI

(08-12-2012, 07:12 PM)Toms306 Wrote: He already has the wrong (50) profiles lol.

Has yours been dyno'd Jonny? If so how much? I'm sure it is quicker dont get me wrong, just dont thnk it'll be that much. Obviously it'll feel quicker with torquier diesel, but in an actual race? Hmmmm.... See heres the thing with hdi vs 1.8 - yes youve got boost in a HDi, but the 1.8s got revs and will pull from anywhere right round to the red tbh. The hdi drops off boost at gearchanges and runs out of puff quick in each gear which looses you the torque and with such a small torque band, even though you have more torque for a shorter time, I think it'd be fairly even. I've got no doubt at all that the 1.8 would take a stage 1 HDi estate from a standing start. 30-70 in 3rd, not so sure. Stage 2 HDi estate would beat it, but with 100 extra kg, not by much I reckon. Would be interesting to find out with proof though, raher than just guesstimates using power/weight and revs vs boost.

tom im sure Jonnys estate would beat the 1.8. It only just kept up with Mooey65s stage 1 hatch which was running 120ish hp. Im pretty sure Jonnys is running 150+ anyway! Nobody says ohhh lets have a race but only using 3rd gear D:

I think we can have a race just for lols on my local air strip. Ill get the 1.8 out of the garage. Jonny in his estate and we can get someone else to drive your stage 1 estate while you sit on your empty golf shell haha Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Tom i think its its about 163. A 1.8 cant keep up with a stage 1 dtub,
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
I could be wrong here but I'm sure I remember jonny saying on the way to reading his is about 170bhp and 270 ft/lb if that helps, could be wrong
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by:
163bhp from a stage 2? Thats more than I thought then, thought it was like 145ish. I'll have to have a proper look through his project thread and see what he's done. Didn't realise you could get that on the standard turbo and stuff.

If it was ~170bhp, thats almost 150bhp/tonne, same as the Golf....and me and Sam both know the 1.8 didn't stand a chance against that haha. Big Grin

(08-12-2012, 07:19 PM)SRowell Wrote: tom im sure Jonnys estate would beat the 1.8. It only just kept up with Mooey65s stage 1 hatch which was running 120ish hp. Im pretty sure Jonnys is running 150+ anyway! Nobody says ohhh lets have a race but only using 3rd gear D:

I think we can have a race just for lols on my local air strip. Ill get the 1.8 out of the garage. Jonny in his estate and we can get someone else to drive your stage 1 estate while you sit on your empty golf shell haha Big Grin

The Golf shell is now probably in your cupboard as a tin of Heinz....its been crushed lol.

But yes ofcourse you have 3rd gear races, i do them all the time off slip roads! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
When I got mine, it was dyno'd at 163.5 BHP and 277 Ft LB

I've since then, turned up the boost (which made a noticeable difference) and de backboxe'd and decatted the exhaust (both of which made a noticeable difference)

Hence me saying somewhere near 170 BHP

And the power band isn't really all that narrow, just lower in the rev range, it pulls really well from about 2500 RPM right up to the limiter at 4700ish.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Hmm, genuinely didn't realise you could get that much from them. I take it you're on an uprated clutch by now? Well anyway I wont spam Sams thread, I'll have a proper look through your project later to see what setup you have. Stage 2 looks a bit more appealing if it really is golf-quick lol Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Nah Tom it's still on a dt clutch, which doesn't hold lol But I do have a CG unsprung 4 paddle with an uprated (I think) pressure plate on the way. Which should be good for stage 3 ninja

Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 07:28 PM)Toms306 Wrote: 163bhp from a stage 2? Thats more than I thought then, thought it was like 145ish. I'll have to have a proper look through his project thread and see what he's done. Didn't realise you could get that on the standard turbo and stuff.

one i drove tom was about and that car was very well setup,
laugh was the engine was 175k and it was still pulling strong! better than my 83k HDI
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2012, 01:19 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Nah Tom it's still on a dt clutch, which doesn't hold lol But I do have a CG unsprung 4 paddle with an uprated (I think) pressure plate on the way. Which should be good for stage 3 ninja

Oh right haha!

Also, there's a stage 3!!? Confused. I guess this is where the flux capitor is fitted. Speechless

(09-12-2012, 09:19 PM)procta Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 07:28 PM)Toms306 Wrote: 163bhp from a stage 2? Thats more than I thought then, thought it was like 145ish. I'll have to have a proper look through his project thread and see what he's done. Didn't realise you could get that on the standard turbo and stuff.

one i drove tom was about and that car was very well setup,
laugh was the engine was 175k and it was still pulling strong! better than my 83k HDI

I would hope it does pull better than your HDi lol, bit pointless otherwise. Big Grin

Not sure where I got 145bhp from then, unless that's all you can get with the limited torque maps maybe? Either that or I just imagined it haha.
Thanks given by:
"stage 3 " is a loose term, but yeah. there is.

IMO these engines would be capable of 300 bhp with the right work, it just depends how much knowledge you have, and how much money you have to spend at the end of the day.

Thanks given by:
300bhp? Surely there'd be nothing left standard except the block itself by then!

Fair enough though, I've never worked in stages before, just methodically gone through things (ie, more air in, more air out, more fuel, more boost etc) but not actually worked to stages.

Can't believe I'm getting interested in modding HDis now lol. Think I've definitely turned to the dark side. Sad
Thanks given by:
Well there is that.. But I agree, the stages seem a bit pointless IMHO, But it does help to explain the way the engines are tuned..

And welcome to the "dark side" if that's what you call it lol

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Track car advice Dan! 54 13,799 15-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Rippthrough