Blower Motor Issues!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blower Motor Issues!!
Hi

Since I got the car the blower has always been noisy (tappy like the blades are catching something) and fairly poor at supplying air tbh. The air didnt really get into the footwell, my feet always seem to be cold in this car lol, but I manned up and put up with it. And I always keep it set on windscreen/feet as I hate it blowing at my face before anyone tells me my knob is in the wrong place.

Anyway at some point today or yesterday the blower stopped completely - I hadn't noticed as the stereo was on lol. But it was steaming up and didnt feel particularly warm in the car after a good half hour drive - checked the vents and muted the stereo and realised the blower had stopped altogether, great! Had been on auto since I got the car but nothing on manual speed either.

Went over a cobbled road in town and it started again lol 'taptaptaptap' thought I was driving a GTi..... Itwasntme Anyway, parked up, walked round getting wet and cold for half an hour and when i got back to the car the motor had stopped again, hasn't come back on since. Had to drive at 80 to get the warm air to blow through.... lol

So I know thats a long way of putting 'the blowers f*cked' but I cant work out why it would stop and start like that? I don't want to replace the blower motor if the same would happen with another?

So what should I be checking? Or does anyone know exactly whats wrong with it from the desription?

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Check the supply plug to the motor. Make sure it's plugged in properly and not damaged.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
lol blower
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2012, 01:56 PM)Niall Wrote: Check the supply plug to the motor. Make sure it's plugged in properly and not damaged.

Oh God.....wish I hadn't done that now! lol

Well the good news is the plug wasn't in properly!! But the motor was running - so I pushed it in and the motor stopped lol. Anyway, started poking wires and it came on again so it looks like either a snapped wire or a loose connection in the fan plug. f*cking French wiring. Dodgy

Still doesn't explain the awful noise the motor makes though, I'll have to drop it out and see if theres something stuck in there.

Tbh I'm thinking this car has had a heater matrix done (badly!) at some point, as theres random 'loose' wiring everywhere underneath with random tape and crimps, lots of broken plastic bits and missing screws down there too, and with the airbag cover loose as well makes me think the dash must've come out! Confused

Sigh...so after fixing the door loom and the seat airbag light...yet another electrical issue to sort lol.
Thanks given by:
Mine packed up whilst I was away last time. Took it out, oiled the bearings as it was squealing again anyway, plugged it back in and voila. Obviously enjoying having the plug disturbed.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Hmm, what did you oil the bearings with? Might as well do mine if I'm taking it out anyway lol.
Thanks given by:
probablt a small child stuck in the fan as there are no pollen filters
take off the scuttle around the intake and give it a clean
Thanks given by:
A small child? I was expecting a leaf.... Confused

I already blasted all the crap out down there with the jetwash when I got the car, so i can only assume its something right inside now. Don't really want to break the seal on the under-scuttle duct as I did that on the 1.4 and could never seal it right again.

As to having no pollen filter...who the hell decided that was a good idea!? Rolleyes I tried a sponge in there back in the day but it just got wet and mouldy. Annoyingly I have the Golf pollen filter (genuine VAG, only 2 months use, cost like £8!) in the garage but can't think of any way that I could fit it to the 306 system without it just getting wet and rank.
Thanks given by:
i hit the bottom of my glovebox very hard Auther Fonzareli style when it stops working and that always brings it back to life! . .lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I use 3 in 1 oil, dribbled down the shaft - works a treat and the thing goes quiet for like 18 months at a time (and i use my car more than most).
Thanks given by:
Mine was like this, on and off really tempormental and the I threw a rod...... Jus sayin
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2012, 10:53 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: i hit the bottom of my glovebox very hard Auther Fonzareli style when it stops working and that always brings it back to life! . .lol

Lol, I guess thats one way of solving the issue haha! lol

(08-12-2012, 11:01 AM)C2K Wrote: I use 3 in 1 oil, dribbled down the shaft - works a treat and the thing goes quiet for like 18 months at a time (and i use my car more than most).

Hmm, don't have any of that lol. And I guess WD40 would just dry it out and not help at all. May have to purchase some next time Im in halfords.

(08-12-2012, 11:07 AM)Matt Wrote: Mine was like this, on and off really tempormental and the I threw a rod...... Jus sayin

Oh God. Confused Undecided

I'm sure it was unrelated though. Tongue But, tbh I wouldn't be at all surprised if it did chuck a rod. Sad Can't seem to trust this one like I did the diablo (eventually!), but then, it does keep creating issues all over the place! Dodgy Most of them are just 'turn the radio up and hope it goes' issues though haha.
Thanks given by:
It's known as 'French charm' Tom.
Thanks given by:
its probably leaves in the fan tom. There were loads on my 1.4 when i broke it. Ive got a spare if you want it.
Thanks given by:
Its the wiring to the plug Sam, not the fan itself. Probably is leaves in there, but I cba to clear it out atm. Just have to keep hitting bumps/kerbs/speedbumps to make the blower come on lol.
Thanks given by:
i have the same problem with intermittent fan, but, also when my headlights are off the control panel's lights are on... when I switch the headlights on the control panel's lights go off...
any ideas?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 Blower motor replaced and working but no air coming from vents? Zubes3 4 1,269 19-09-2020, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Zubes3
  Heater blower issues Dturbo john 5 2,650 13-03-2018, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  Heater Blower Issues MY95 7 3,278 06-03-2018, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset