HDi 30-70 Times

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDi 30-70 Times
Right, to save spammimg the other guys thread, heres 2 30-70s. Theoretically a shit driver will do 30-70 same as a good as theres no actual driving involved, just boot it in one gear.

First is rowells estate on a 125bhp map - with the MAF unplugged. Takes about 9 or 10 weeks right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvJuDwwKrgs&feature=plcp

Second is my own estate, 120 remap nothing broken that I'm aware of. Still takes 8 or 9 weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHPhJ5iwqq4&feature=plcp

And just for some perspective a car that does actually have some power.... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFLZJeIKYQ0&feature=plcp

So what do we think of my estate 30-70? Normal or extra slow?

Also not sure if its linked but it makes a really weird noise at idle, its like a rythmic vibration, but nothing is visibly moving! Its really hard to describe, you know how an old V8 petrol goes through the cycle, then has a tiny pause before the next, well it sounds like that, almost like a misfire but nowhere near as bad. Theres no engine light on. Is that noise normal? I never noticed it on Rowells, but then probably couldnt hear it over the clattering and ticking. lol

Tom
Thanks given by:
Yours looks quicker than rowells to me.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
By about a week!!
Thanks given by:
Exactly, but it still feels so slow which is why I want to know if its OK or not. Don't forget Rowells is just running a default MAF reading as theres no MAF plugged in there.
Thanks given by:
Stage 2 HDi will do it in sub 6 seconds
Thanks given by:
But I'm talking about a stage 1. Tongue

I'm not going to the hassle of FMICs and introducing boost leaks just for a few extra horses. It's staying stage 1, just want to know if its broken or if they're normally that slow.
Thanks given by:
That's the most irrelevant post ever Dum....

Tom, you're likening a car with a vnt turbo as stock and 130bhp, and less weight to a less powerful, heavier car with a smaller, non-vnt turbo. I don't see your point; of course it's going to be slower.

It looks fine to me; 125bhp with more weight than a hatch 10-11secs looks about right.
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
I'm not likenening them lol, the Golf had 150bhp/tonne, of course its going to be quicker than the HDi with 100bhp/tonne lol....although, notice more lag with the golf, even on a VNT! Just put that in as a pisstake really.

It's the estate that I want to know whether its good or not. Also, you know the 306 estate weighs almost exactly the same as the Golf hatch lol!
Thanks given by:
would do mine but cant get the grip on the damp roads round here spinning wheels would make me a cheat!
Thanks given by:
Lol, yeah I hadn't thought of that, could get an awesome 30-70 in the snow today lol. lol
Thanks given by:
That does seem a little slow to me, although 60-70 seems about the same as mine.

Ill try and get a video laters.
Thanks given by:
If the Pro_Steve one is 125bhp, then yours looks like a 125bhp remap too going on the acceleration which looks the same between the two... if anything yours looks marginally faster between 60-70mph too (so maybe even more powerful than the other car at the usual 4000rpm power peak in a non-fmic HDi)

I'd say that is well within the reasonable range for a ~125bhp remap on an Estate any way. Nothing to worry about.

Dave
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2012, 04:23 PM)Mr Whippy Wrote: If the Pro_Steve one is 125bhp, then yours looks like a 125bhp remap too going on the acceleration which looks the same between the two... if anything yours looks marginally faster between 60-70mph too (so maybe even more powerful than the other car at the usual 4000rpm power peak in a non-fmic HDi)

I'd say that is well within the reasonable range for a ~125bhp remap on an Estate any way. Nothing to worry about.

Dave

Mine should be faster, Rowells with the PS125 had no MAF! lol If they look the same surely something is wrong? Undecided
Thanks given by:
Yes, your maf is still knackered. :p
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Jeez think of all the fuel wasted on those runs, unless he took them just as he happened to be pulling onto a motorway each time on purpose on a meaningful drive?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2012, 05:59 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(10-12-2012, 04:23 PM)Mr Whippy Wrote: If the Pro_Steve one is 125bhp, then yours looks like a 125bhp remap too going on the acceleration which looks the same between the two... if anything yours looks marginally faster between 60-70mph too (so maybe even more powerful than the other car at the usual 4000rpm power peak in a non-fmic HDi)

Dave

Mine should be faster, Rowells with the PS125 had no MAF! lol If they look the same surely something is wrong? Undecided

No MAF doesn't really impact the performance that much outright (ie, full throttle)

In any case, doing the numbers in my little simulator thingy your figures are about right irrespective of Rowells.

Ie, he might have been slightly down hill. You slightly up-hill. Comparing videos is not really reliable so I wouldn't gauge your performance on his video too much Smile

If you are still in doubt then ask your tuner and I'm sure they'll advise what could be wrong or reassure you etc etc... check over diagnostic run logs to rule out some possible problems with you etc.

Cheers

Dave
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2012, 07:37 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: Jeez think of all the fuel wasted on those runs, unless he took them just as he happened to be pulling onto a motorway each time on purpose on a meaningful drive?

Well where else do you think I'd be doing it? I don't just randomly go out to do 30-70s lol.

(11-12-2012, 11:58 AM)Mr Whippy Wrote:
(10-12-2012, 05:59 PM)Toms306 Wrote:

Dave

No MAF doesn't really impact the performance that much outright (ie, full throttle)

In any case, doing the numbers in my little simulator thingy your figures are about right irrespective of Rowells.

Ie, he might have been slightly down hill. You slightly up-hill. Comparing videos is not really reliable so I wouldn't gauge your performance on his video too much Smile

If you are still in doubt then ask your tuner and I'm sure they'll advise what could be wrong or reassure you etc etc... check over diagnostic run logs to rule out some possible problems with you etc.

Cheers

Dave

I am asking my tuner. lol

The vids were taken in the same place btw, both by myself. But I know theres obviously differences in air pressure/temperature/humidity etc which I guess will change things.

What does the MAF actually affect then? If you can run without one fine, and it doesn't affect full throttle either then what's it for? If its basically for mpg on part throttle then that could be my issue?

On an eco run this week I didn't even manage 50mpg, it's better when I hoon it about lol! Confused
Thanks given by:
So how come changing a broken maf can produce such an improvement in power, is there something else going on that causes indirect effects on performance?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
It's really hard to tell exactly what might or might not happen depending on the mapping and how it's done, and possibly how the MAF fails, or if it's unplugged etc.

Without knowing the exact test conditions and car specs for each video I can't really say.

All I can say with any certainty is that in my little simulator doing the same run as above with a 125bhp/205lbft output the timing is almost perfect to what I'd expect.

Sorry Tom, am I your tuner? I can't find a record of your car (though I can't read your plate and don't know your full name hehe, but I've cross checked Toms, Estates in China Blue, and what I think is your reg number and no record, hmmm)

This thread is getting hard to follow hehe.

With MAF unplugged the MAF resorts back to a built-in assumption of MAF based on throttle input and rpm basically. Since the standard smoke map allows plenty of fuelling for a stage 1 remap to an extent, although trimmed back a bit on the transients and so on, it will still let a great deal of the peak fuelling requested to be delivered.

What it won't do is 'know' you have a sporty turbo for example, and so it won't assume the MAF/boost will rise as quickly. It won't know the car has been remapped, so again spool is assumed to be slower than it really is.

So in the end you might get 80% of the outright boost in power, but the last 20% might only come with the MAF working. It all depends really on the details of the tuning and MAF I guess... ie, is it really a big boost in power when replaced, or a big boost in response? Response can have a big impact on your senses so a boost in response and 5% more power might feel like a LOT more than it is!

Obviously when you are on stage 2 when the MAF is dead you'll really notice the difference as the built-in maf map is way out!

Generally though your transient response won't be as good as it should be, so it'll feel laggier and less sharp, and take longer to really get going.

Your mpg might suffer in some cases I suppose.

Hmmm

Dave
Thanks given by:
As a compare and contrast here is a 30 - 70 vid of my hdi with the MAF disconnected (its faulty.... replacement should be here in a day or 2) as far as I am aware the car is standard.

Chris
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad times...now what? my-first-306 34 6,590 10-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Ruan