Bosch Super 4...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bosch Super 4...
As stated...the Polo needed new plugs so been to Halfrauds to get hold of some spark plugs NGK single electrodes were just a tad over £25 IIRC, decided to give these Super 4's a shot as they were only £21.49 but the bloke recommended them as he supposedly runs them in his 106 and says they're fantastic...From the back of the packet:

The ignition spark itself always chooses the best route for the spark from any of the 4 ground electrodes:

A) To the centre electrode
B) Either by the conventional air gap
C) Or the surface to air gap

The advantages:

A) Protection from damage to the engine or catalytic converter
B) Improved acceleration and superior starting performance
C) Smooth, quiet running and superior engine flexibility
D) Electrode gap pre-set at the factory.

[Image: f1301672981.jpg]

Anybody had any experience of them...they any good? Got them now gunna try fitting them tomorrow as we've got blizzards here at the minute!
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

Member of Team Holey Engine

[Image: IM_sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Put them in a previous petrol of mine cant remember which one... No noticable difference but they look cool Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yep they are no better than a single electrode plug

You won't see power gains
You won't see mpg increases

It's all clever marketing and wording

What you will see is a return to the closer orginal performance and mpg of the car

Things will seem better as the old plugs are worn and not working at there best.

They will list longer though and perform on a more stable level for longer as the spark will take the shortest route to earth and this will move around the prongs as they wear down

To be fair you should of gone to a local independant as you would of got a set of plugs for around a tenner
Thanks given by:
I had them in the 1.4......they make no noticable difference really, but then, it was only a 1.4 anyway lol.
Thanks given by:
I used them in my gti6 can't say I used any others to comare tho
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
Worst plugs going, For some reason Bosch cannot get these right, even had a new set that did not work
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2012, 08:42 PM)swampy Wrote: To be fair you should of gone to a local independant as you would of got a set of plugs for around a tenner

Tried that...The cheapest I could find was £20 but then again we've only got 2 or 3 independents around here so there's not a huge deal to be done price wise, the fact it'll be closer to original sounds alright to be fair as it's not the greatest of cars to start with!

Thanks given by:
They won't fire from all 4. It will fire from the best option. So its still pretty much the same
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just buy cheap plugs and replace them more often.

I get thru a set of NGK Coppers every 10K in my Nissan, at a tenner it's hardly the end of the world.
Thanks given by:
the whole idea is they last longer. Every spark causes the electrode to deteriorate slightly making the gap wider and wider. If there is 4 electrodes as opposed to 1 or 2, theoretically youve got 4 times more life from it.

But, if you think how often you replace spark plugs, is it really worth the extra not to mention that some engines dont like them at all.
The gti actually came with 3 electrode plugs and thats what i put in mine.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I have these / have had these in all my cars. I really like them. No reall gain but it always seems to idel smoother when iv replced them for single point plugs

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
I put them in the Skoda and it hated them. Got genuine plugs from Skoda and it was far better.... For £52.

VAGfail.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
A spark is a spark, as long as its not shorting down the plug, it wont make any odds at all Tongue
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(06-12-2012, 08:31 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: A spark is a spark, as long as its not shorting down the plug, it wont make any odds at all Tongue

Thank you! At least someone has seen that these are a gimmick. If they were that good, wouldn't car manufacturers fit them as standard?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(06-12-2012, 01:17 PM)Niall Wrote:
(06-12-2012, 08:31 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: A spark is a spark, as long as its not shorting down the plug, it wont make any odds at all Tongue

Thank you! At least someone has seen that these are a gimmick. If they were that good, wouldn't car manufacturers fit them as standard?

Petrols still shit tho Wink Smile
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Its not that simple though is it? You need a 'clean' spark thats the right length for a decent burn I thought?

I agree these aren't anything special though, although with 4 choices you should an optimum spark for longer.
Thanks given by:
As long as the gap is right, and the coilpack is good enough to pop a spark even with plenty of compression, I cant see how any spark plug is going to be any better than any other...its just a spark...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Hmm, fair enough I guess!
Thanks given by:
(06-12-2012, 01:28 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote:
(06-12-2012, 01:17 PM)Niall Wrote:

Just had to get that in there didnt you? haha

Tom a spark is a spark. you only get bad running when either the electrode is coated in oil (by which time, youve got bigger things to worry about) and it wont always spark or the electrode deteriorates and opens the gap right up. Tbh you would notice more of a difference in changing to brand new coil packs as these can break down and cause issues.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(06-12-2012, 04:33 PM)Niall Wrote:
(06-12-2012, 01:17 PM)Niall Wrote: Thank you! At least someone has seen that these are a gimmick. If they were that good, wouldn't car manufacturers fit them as standard?

Tom a spark is a spark. you only get bad running when either the electrode is coated in oil (by which time, youve got bigger things to worry about) and it wont always spark or the electrode deteriorates and opens the gap right up. Tbh you would notice more of a difference in changing to brand new coil packs as these can break down and cause issues.

Yeah I know about coil pack issues.....one of those bastards spiked the ECU on one of my 1.4s! It was never right again. Dodgy

Yeah this is what I was getting at really, the gap has got to be near enough bang on or the spark will either be too weak to ignite or too short and not long enough to completely burn the fuel. Cheap ones with one electrode may wear out quick giving you a shit spark. But these have 4 'options' if you like so should theoretically last 4 times as long - without costing 4 times as much.
Thanks given by:
(06-12-2012, 08:29 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: Got genuine plugs from Skoda and it was far better.... For £52.

VAGfail.

You did probably just buy some re-branded NGK or Bosch plugs you know?
With a nice healthy percentage added on for Skoda's pockets.
Thanks given by:
(06-12-2012, 04:42 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(06-12-2012, 04:33 PM)Niall Wrote:
(06-12-2012, 01:17 PM)Niall Wrote: Thank you! At least someone has seen that these are a gimmick. If they were that good, wouldn't car manufacturers fit them as standard?

Yeah I know about coil pack issues.....one of those bastards spiked the ECU on one of my 1.4s! It was never right again. Dodgy

Yeah this is what I was getting at really, the gap has got to be near enough bang on or the spark will either be too weak to ignite or too short and not long enough to completely burn the fuel. Cheap ones with one electrode may wear out quick giving you a shit spark. But these have 4 'options' if you like so should theoretically last 4 times as long - without costing 4 times as much.

but thing is tom, with a single electrode plug, you can regap it which i try and do with mine on every service anyway so all the 4 electrode ones are doing is making it maintenance free for 4 times longer. Thing is, the end of a spark plug will tell you alot about how happy your engine is so if your leaving them in 4 times longer, you might potentially be missing out on something!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
It's a compromise as with everything though...same as longlife oil really. Theoretically you can leave it in for longer, 20k servicing so you manager only has t pay half as much labour for his fleet - but the thinner it gets being diluted with shit has a knock on effect where the cams wear out quicker...so more cost effective in the long run? Nope..... Swings and roundabouts really lol.
Thanks given by:
(06-12-2012, 04:59 PM)Toms306 Wrote: It's a compromise as with everything though...same as longlife oil really. Theoretically you can leave it in for longer, 20k servicing so you manager only has t pay half as much labour for his fleet - but the thinner it gets being diluted with shit has a knock on effect where the cams wear out quicker...so more cost effective in the long run? Nope..... Swings and roundabouts really lol.

Exactly, most of these no maintenance or long life products are generally not what they have cracked up to be. Personally im much happier changing my oil and filters every 8k and regapping the plugs and knowing how healthy my engine is.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
oe fitment are NGK BUR6ET (.7mm) so personally i would get a set of those. Equivalents are Autolite APP62 (.8mm), Beru 14GH-7QTUR (.7mm), Bosch W7LTCR (.9mm) and Champion RN10VTYC4 (1mm).

if you know its not had a service for a while do the oil + filter, air filter, plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm and leads. try euro car parts and have a look on google for discount codes just before you pay
Thanks given by:
(06-12-2012, 10:32 PM)stevieg Wrote: oe fitment are NGK BUR6ET (.7mm) so personally i would get a set of those. Equivalents are Autolite APP62 (.8mm), Beru 14GH-7QTUR (.7mm), Bosch W7LTCR (.9mm) and Champion RN10VTYC4 (1mm)

what are you a human ECP catalogue? ohh wait...
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
All it is is if one rod breaks them you still have another three to use on the plug.
[Image: edit2_zpsbe60b3ca.jpg]

Team derv FLAME and CONROD spitters
Thanks given by:
(06-12-2012, 10:36 PM)Niall Wrote:
(06-12-2012, 10:32 PM)stevieg Wrote: oe fitment are NGK BUR6ET (.7mm) so personally i would get a set of those. Equivalents are Autolite APP62 (.8mm), Beru 14GH-7QTUR (.7mm), Bosch W7LTCR (.9mm) and Champion RN10VTYC4 (1mm)

what are you a human ECP catalogue? ohh wait...

hahahahahahaha sod euros website when i have autodata
Thanks given by:
just to add to the discussion;

i dont like bosch plugs; yes i know they are german but some made in france.
i wont touch champions with a very long shitty stick
tried some beru--once
got given autolites---once also
unipart--bosch/champion in a different box
watched denso plugs being made in champions wirral factory once, on a small separate production line -------needless to say wont be using them.
eyquem ??? used to be pug genuine parts till they started killing off 206 coilpacks !!

i started using ngk's in 1983 (yes i do mean 30 years ago) and thats all i use ...........never had one break down/misfire and never had one snap off in ford ohv engines (fiesta & ka).......even when doing cars still in extended warranties-- i only fit ngk's.
Thanks given by:
Well whacked them in this morning as well as a new air filter...it's sorted my idle problem out it's not fluctuating at all but now I'm getting a slight misfire between 1,500 and 2,000 RPM...Seems like the car is struggling, any ideas?

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WIW: 306 Super High Boost Lwilliams 9 2,377 10-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Chris HDI
  Super cheap tool set link bashbarnard 33 4,544 24-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Who's got PP somewhere near Weston-super-mare? WiNgNuTz 13 1,741 08-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Midnightclub