HDi Fast road cam... Group Buy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDi Fast road cam... Group Buy
So, im intrested in getting a fast road cam for the my hdi, so i thought id ring Piper to see how much discount they can give us on a possible group buy...

Here is the product - http://www.pipercams.co.uk/pipercams/www...=PHDIBP270

Priced at £133 ex. VAT. So roughly £160 all in.

I no theirs a few of us running @ stage 2, or planning to be.. hence the thread!

I'll start with a list of names, and other questions then pm me and ill try and get answers back. I also believe that Dum Dum had one of these in his old hdi and will/should vouch for its gains.

Cheers!

1. Sean
Thanks given by:
Can they do em for the gti?
Thanks given by:
I'd be interested depending on the price.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
yeah, they do gti ones, not sure if they can be included in the group buy, dunno why not tho if theirs enough intrest...

Still waiting for a price jonny
Thanks given by:
If they can include them id be interested mate Smile
Thanks given by:
Okay. Im waiting for an email atm. If they can include gti ones ill update!
Thanks given by:
i would be intrested if had someone to fit them next to nothin by saturday :/
Thanks given by:
I'd be interested in s16 cams if they can be included
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Id also be interested in some s16 cams aswellBig Grin
Thanks given by:
how much is it to fit cams? Id be interested depending on price D:
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2012, 03:10 PM)SRowell Wrote: how much is it to fit cams? Id be interested depending on price D:

If you can change a clutch. Cams should be easy.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
When he gets back to me I'll ask if he can do all cams Lol! Do the stub boys want them as well?
Thanks given by:
Does anyone know if this would this do much for a stage 2 hdi then?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
From what Darren said about the dt ones I doubt it IMO
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The HDI stock cams are more wank than the XUD ones, so more gains MAY occur, but really depends how harsh the piper ones are....probs not very, due to the fact that if they are, you just shit lifters every 5 mins...

I didnt notice much odds with stockISH turbos...only really noticed the gains when i was fueling it at 5krpm+ and BIG turbos...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
From what I've heard, and don't quote me on this. The cam profiles were specced by someone who made nice bi-turbo (sequential and parallel) HDi DW10 drag-cars in another Euro country... and he specced them for his 220bhp+ car, for drag-race use.

Now, "assuming" cough wink cough, that what Piper is selling you is the same as those cams, then it's a good bet that they won't do ANYTHING at all for you until you are running 220bhp worth of airflow and find the standard cams limiting.

Pete ran his 205bhp VNT car without a cam change, and I've seen cars from 150-185bhp without a cam, so I'm really not sure why you'd want a cam unless you just want to spin the roulette wheel and take a gamble on it not actually costing you power/torque or driveability.

I've not done the calculations on the cam, not even sure what the spec is, but most FI cams on any half modern car (like the HDi is) will flow easily for double their standard config (referenced from many books/sources on FI tuning)... thus since the DW10 cam is used at 90-110bhp standard, it's reasonable to say we start to run into problems at 180-220bhp... which is exactly where a certain drag-race user of the DW10 specced his cams for, about 200-220bhp!

So, my 2p. Avoid. If you hit 185bhp and then fit a cam and suddenly find you have 195bhp, then great. But I don't think you will.

I think you *start* to need one after about 200bhp, and from there on in a change will start to benefit you at the high end power outputs... but again that is only a high output. What's it like at idle? Sub 2000rpm? Everyday driving rpm's?

Save your money for something with proven gains, or bigger brakes Big Grin

Dave
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2012, 03:29 PM)Jake Wrote:
(05-12-2012, 03:10 PM)SRowell Wrote: how much is it to fit cams? Id be interested depending on price D:

If you can change a clutch. Cams should be easy.

Cams are different........you can't f*ck the timing up changing a clutch! lol That said I'd give it a go....on Sam's car. Big Grin

Wouldn't want one personally though as I can't see them being worth it unless you're running massive power. I thought race cams lost you some low end drivability as well?
Thanks given by:
Cams on FI are a world of difference away to cams on NA engines.

This is why in most cases you very very rarely see cams changed on any cars that come with turbos. Usually you'll see double power before people start touching them... and those that do will do it specifically for their application rather than just buying cams from Piper who give no advice with them at all. Ie, designed for race use over 3000rpm and 200bhp+, or whatever else would be mighty beneficial to potential buyers.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Well. I'll tell them not to bother unless people are still interested for their pervs?

Cheers Dave! I'll save up for that r70 pump!
Thanks given by:
Yep, R70 pump would be a better place to put money.

I just say get what you NEED, but nothing more.

There is no need even to get an R70 pump unless you plan on running really high injections all over the rev range, and the need for that is questionable depending on your turbo and torque curve shape you want Smile

R70 pump is probably worth getting though as long as it is guaranteed to be good. No point getting a worn old one as your standard pump might out-perform it!

Dave
Thanks given by: