Stripping a car, how to dispose of whats left

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stripping a car, how to dispose of whats left
Long story short I gotta get rid of the other 306 [its only a 1.6 8v in Diablo red]. What options have I got and what are the legalitys [ie getting a certificate of destruction]. Only reason I want rid of the car is it'll need a new exhaust [front pipe already replaced] and the twin fans and speedo sensor putting back in as I took them already. I see my options as:-
1) Put the car up for sale honestly listing what's wrong and expecting to get FA
2) Drop it off at the scrappy expecting to get FA
3) Strip it then get the scappy to pick it up (bearing in mind i'd need help getting her apart)
Not sure what to do with it as shell-wise its not in bad nick and within months of being taken off the road it had new handbreak cables, new rear shoes and front pads, new door loom [not a repair job], etc. Seems a shame to waste that.

So what do I do with it?
Thanks given by:
Selling whole is the easiest option and youll get more driving to the scrapper than getting her collected.

Call up your local scrap yard and find out what theyer paying at the moment as your car wont be much more than a tonne and theyer not paying great prices at the moment.

If you list it on ebay put the starting price/reserve as the scrap money plus the listing cost and paypal fees.

If you strip it youll need someone to drag the shell to the scrap yard. If you leave the wheels and suspension on it can be towed otherwise itll need lifted and that can cost money.
Thanks given by:
yep if you cant get it there yourself youll get money.

If you can roll it onto a truck AND you live close to the scrappers youll get money!

if you cant do those then theyll only pick it up for free D: Unless you have a lot of free time to properly break it id just send the lot off. obvious take off the easy and nice bits but completely breaking it takes too much time if youve got work to be doing anyway!
Thanks given by:
Dont forget the new scrap laws.
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
Cool, I was thinking that for the hassle its probably going whole. I guess her last chance of not being cubed is does anyone on here want it as a repair job / project car and wanna make an offer?
Thanks given by:
Put it in the cars for sale section and someone might take it off your hands. Probably depends how far away you are from people who break them etc
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I mayb interested in the whole car price depending and pics plz Smile

Thanks given by:
Sell me the diablo wing mirrors
Thanks given by:
hire a van and chop the shell up into sections and weigh it in,
Thanks given by:
The absolute best price your gonna get for scrap is about £120, so probly be much better off selling it whole or breaking
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Melt the steel at home and turn it into bins = profit
Thanks given by:
Seriously dude you need to PM me and tell me what's wrong with it exactly and how much you're willing to take for it so I can get back into 306 ownership!!!
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

Member of Team Holey Engine

[Image: IM_sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Stripping a car is good for learning about shit and making money - I've almost hit £2000 from breaking the golf now and gonna bin things that haven't sold like doors and a few interior bits before Xmas. However, you do need time and space to break cars! As for the shell just get it picked up for free....
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2012, 06:39 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Stripping a car is good for learning about shit and making money - I've almost hit £2000 from breaking the golf now

I used to do the opposite...I used to acquire cars that were pretty much f*cked and raid the scrappies for bits fix it up and sell it on...best profit we made was an Astra 1.8 that the cambelt had snapped on was on a V plate picked it up for £100 and was in glacier white IIRC. Went to scrappy got a new engine for another £100...Stuck it in over a weekend washed it up and advertised it in the local rag as "Open to offers" got £900 for it in the end £700 profit, not bad for no more than a week's work!
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

Member of Team Holey Engine

[Image: IM_sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Bring it down to wiltshire and i'll give you £300 for it job done Big Grin

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
I didn't intend to break the golf lol, it kinda left me no choice after being so expensively broken haha.

I would like to buy cars and fix them up but nowhere warm/dry to do it unfortunately. That said, between me and Rowell we managed to fix, MOT and tax a 300 quid HDi. So it can be done fairly easy....
Thanks given by:
What phase is the car? If its a decent spec ph1 I could be very interested in the passenger side door loom....
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
I will put this in the for sale section when I got an idea what to ask for it, hence open to offers for the time being. Its a '99 V plate [6 digit plate] phase 3 1.6 8v Meridian in Diablo red. She's currently SORNed and sat on my drive doing nothing. I'm located near woodstock for those looking into the distance.
Firstly what I know to be wrong with it. Mid box / pipe and back box need replacing, needs another radiator fan motor [I took one for the other pug], needs speedo sensor [also put in other pug], i'm not sure if the clutch is light as its heavy in the 1.8 16v but there is a difference between the 2 cars. On a cosmetic note the front bumper doesn't have fogs in it and some of the lacquer has peeled on the back bumper, front bumper has marks on both corners and a smallish dent in the wing by the indicator.
The car has had some work on it before I put it to one side to drive the 1.8. Its had new left and right handbrake cables, new rear shoes, new front pads, new drivers door loom [the 6542vq part not a repair job], probably a couple of other bits too. I will take some pics of her when there's more light.
Thanks given by:
Sorry for the crap camera quality but this what the car looks like.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stripping a Loom? bigcheez2k3 21 6,364 07-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Last Post: bigcheez2k3
  Stripping down windows Niall 21 5,244 24-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Jonny b