How To - 2.1TD Swap / XUD11 Fitting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To - 2.1TD Swap / XUD11 Fitting
I wonder if a mechanical DI pump from vw 2.8 LT could be used on those engines? I was offered one with very low price.
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2013, 09:46 PM)205diesel Wrote: I wonder if a mechanical DI pump from vw 2.8 LT could be used on those engines? I was offered one with very low price.

the internals could be utilised as a 2.8 engine would likely use 11mm
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Hello all, my name is Rachael and I am a bit of a Peugeot newb. However this was not intended as a simple intro post. We have an M reg 405 GTX DT. This has been a great car and we have grown to love it, it's known as the Sofa as it gives such a nice ride around the cart tracks of Northampton. However, after an apparent thermostat failure, the car shows all the symptoms of a blown head gasket. This is a great shame as the car is in such good condition for its age and there's no way I'm going to scrap it. Here is where I get to the point:

I have a few options, a) I could replace the head gasket and check/skim the head, or b) replace the engine as that doesn't seem much different costwise, or c) I could fit a 2.1 engine, which as I'm a bit of a car nut (I own 12 cars, mainly X1/9s in various guises and states of disrepair) is really quite appealing.

I came across this thread after a bit of reading up and I was cheekily hoping that perhaps one of you experts (Krisb?) might be willing to do the work for me if I present them with a car, an XUD11 engine to go in it and an appropriate quantity of beer vouchers?

Here's hoping for a positive response! Cheers Rachael
Thanks given by:
In the 405 it should be an easy swap as there is alot more room behind the engine. Realistically the only issue over fitting a standard engine will be having to make up an intercooler set up and getting a 605 down pipe.

If you want to get Kris to do it you can contact him through www.krisb.co.uk but I'm not sure hes taking on big project these days as he only works the odd evening around his job.
Thanks given by:
FYI:

DO not use both thermostats ...gut out the rear one...

I had major temp issues till I did this, now its spot on!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Thanks gentlemen, that's making it more interesting. If I were to do the swap myself I would have to do it on the drive as my garage is full of Lancia-on-a-spit. However, if the swap is *reasonably* straightforward I will go for it. If I get this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111106361487?s...1438.l2649 and this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXPG2049-PEUGE...0825519798 I should be well on my way? Would it be worth getting an HDI gearbox as well?
Thanks given by:
Check what the engine is out of and that it will fit the turbo before getting the 605 pipe. Also when they say basic engine make sure it includes stuff like the upper inlet manifold and alternator and bracket as they are hard to come by. Also try and get all the air/boost hoses to help with the conversion.

When I say its relatively straightforwards I mean it'll bolt straight up to your current gearbox and fly and sit perfectly on the original 405 engine mounts. You just have to swap your bosch fuel pump over, make some fuel lines, sort some water hoses and do the exhaust. It can all be done with a mixture of the original pipes and the 2.1s pipes
Thanks given by:
Well I finally got my hands on a 2.1 engine from a 78,000 mile 406. I have contacted Kris B to arrange the swap.

I got the gearbox with the engine but it seems I can't use the ML5T box because it has a hydraulic clutch and a cable change. Has anyone made a cable clutch work on these gearboxes? I don't see a great hassle with the cable gearchange as I can get the gearstick and cables out of the 406 before it goes to the Peripherique in the sky.
Thanks given by:
You won't get that 406 box to fit...wack a hdi box on it.

The 406 box is like 20kg heavier too...which wont help as the 2.1 isnt a lightweight as it is!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
If your fitting it to the 405 just use the standard 405 gear box flywheel clutch and cable (or swap to the slightly better geared 306 HDi gear box)
Thanks given by:
Tbh I wouldn't use Kris B.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(24-03-2014, 09:43 PM)Anton Wrote: Tbh I wouldn't use Kris B.

Why not?
Thanks given by:
Long story...
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Hmm, well I've only been here five minutes, I don't want to start a row!

(24-03-2014, 09:42 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: If your fitting it to the 405 just use the standard 405 gear box flywheel clutch and cable (or swap to the slightly better geared 306 HDi gear box)

Thanks, I see a few different gearbox codes, 20TD95, 20TD51... which code is the one to look for? I presume these different numbers mean different gear/final drive ratios?
Thanks given by:
Erm, god knows, what RPM are you doing at 70mph currently
Thanks given by:
(29-03-2014, 01:26 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Erm, god knows, what RPM are you doing at 70mph currently

Don't know! I'm going out to assist a fellow X1/9er shortly, so I'll check that. Also I think I had better start a little project thread rather than clutter this one up.

Cheers R
Thanks given by:
Yeah, probably best option.
Thanks given by:
The engine currently does ~2600 rpm at an indicated 70 mph. On a private road it did 3000 rpm at an indicated 81 mph, i.e. about 27 mph/1000 rpm.
Thanks given by:
Is peak torque with the Lucas similar revs
Thanks given by:
its 2450rpm at 70mph on the HDi box
Thanks given by:
Hi there,

Newb to peugeots here! Well, my ex had a diesel 106 and then a 206 but thats a different story!
Im interested in the 2.1XUD conversion but for a different vehicle.
The 1.9XUD engine is a popular swap for my ride (Suzuki SJ/Samurai) but I want to go the whole way and got for the XUD11!

Can anyone confirm that the gearbox bolt patterns are the same on the XUD9 and XUD11? I can buy an adapted bellhousing that I know fits on the 1.9 Smile

Cheers all!
Thanks given by:
Yeah it will bolt on.
Its a much heavier engine though, and for simples sake, I would suggest just upgradin your fueling and boost system to get similar results for less agro and money
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the quick reply... its going to be in a 4x4 with long distance fuel tanks (about 80kg worth) etc so the additional weight isn't a problem I just want the massive TORQUE!!! Smile
Thanks given by:
Torquey they indeed are.

Match it to a GT20+ S or VNT turbo and you will have the torque of a decent v8
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
What were these 2.1s originally out of? 406 ? And how much power do they produce as standard?
Thanks given by:
as per the first post they are found in Xm, 605, 406 and Xantia as standard creating 110bhp Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't fit one of these for outright power though as to save gearboxes and driveshafts you wanna make power up the revs which these don't really like. The 11 is a low revving torque monster.
Thanks given by:
(01-06-2014, 06:33 PM)Piggy Wrote: Its a much heavier engine though

Any idea on the extra weight ??

BTW; your build thread pictures are helping out massively with my mock up for gauging size and fitments.

EDIT: Actually from Piggy's thread:

XUD9TE = 140kg
XU10J4RS = 143kg
XUD11ATE = 171kg

But there was some question about that being correct.
Thanks given by:
Well my car weighed in at 1180kg which is quite a bit less than GTi6 weight of 1215kg ish.

So I guess the '6 box is a bit heavier but I have a 5dr, had half a tank of fuel and custom boot install, amls/sub etc FMIC etc.

So it cant be much heavier than a 6 engine!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Mine is(was) a little over 1200kg, I'll get her weighed again when I have the new turbo on.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  lower height pistons xud11 of 1 mm niciou 3 5,162 01-03-2018, 07:44 PM
Last Post: niciou
Wink The judge and its xud11 Sambo the bodger 37 14,160 24-06-2017, 06:04 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Turbo relocation xud11 and 1.4 hdi bits Sambo the bodger 7 4,662 04-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Dum-Dum