supercharged xud?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
supercharged xud?
Question 
Hey guys,
Not long joined the forum and I've been reading up masses about putting bigger turbos onto the xud, just wanted to see if anyone has attempted supercharging 1? Other than Darren whose videos I've seen both through the forums and YouTube. I
was hoping this would make an interesting project if its viable. Any ideas about if this would be any good?
Thanks given by:
Just expensive really...
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Hmm, probably just a pipe dream then, will keep an eye out for a blower while I'm at the scrappy though.
Thanks given by:
It is doable as Darren proved but chargers are expensive alone then you've got to mount the thing then you need to sort pulleys and belts etc. Don't get me wrong I would love to do it just for the noisebut I think you would be better off just going vnt instead
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
We did it on a racing puma once...was epic...till it blew the head...but cost a fortune in 'one off' bits to make it fit.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You could, but there's a massive amount of unused energy flying out the exhaust... Why not use that to drive a GOOD turbocharger...

Why do you think Mercedes have sacked off their Kompressor Eaton blowers and are now producing the CGI engines - because the bigger Kompressor engines were needing 150hp JUST to drive the charger, a Turbocharger is nearly free...

A new generation turbo will give you a far greater performance improvement...

Before anyone says Rotrex, there's a very good reason they're not that useful on Diesels...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
But then you've got the awkwardness of the variable vanes, I know you can essentially set these up so they're actuator opened but its still gonna be tricky to get right, is it not?
Sure I've seen your car about londondan86, that picture taken in the Moss?

Good point ruan, takes a lot just to drive them, think that makes as good a sticking point as the cost.
Thanks given by:
Yes mate that's the moss valley, you a Wrexham man are you?

As for the vnt, I've never set one up before but have done some reading, Ruan will be the best person to ask as he's been running one for a while now
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
yeah but theres some serious work and setup and calculus to do to fit a supercharger!!! headache alert!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Londondan, if that pictures where I think it is its about10 minutes from my flat.

Think I'll look further down the vnt route, are there any specific chargers people wouldn't use for that? The cars an everyday runner so I want it usable but with a bit of added poke.
Thanks given by:
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/search.php
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
That's a handy little tool, thanks... Will get on it
Thanks given by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzc5EDff0e0

Why have a supercharger, when a properly tuned XUD9 will have next to no lag whatsoever...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
have you done a thread on what you have done to you car sounds great in the video pulls very well by the looks/sounds of things
Thanks given by:
The trouble is, if you aren't a computer genius (like Ruan) you will have a hard time setting up one of those VNTs judging from what Ruan has said. He recommends the GT2052 or 2056 which he said are perfect for these engines but you would still have to program the vanes to open when required and get a one off adapter plate made up.
Thanks given by:
GT2052s or GT2056s?
Thanks given by:
TBH an older (non electric) VNT could be controlled using a boost feed (with restrictor and plenum as necessary) and adjusting the actuator arm.
Thanks given by:
But you then you might as well get a modern WG turbo... Those style ones are no better than the WG ones!
Thanks given by:
Ruan didn't know you had a 6 speed?? Or do you? Gearing seems very short....
I'm deffinatly looking into VNT, doesn't seems as complicated to set up as I first thought.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Did for a time, but for any normal driving its useless... I turned the gearbox oil silver in 2000 miles and destroyed the synchros on 3rd... They arent designed for high torque... And 3700rpm at 70mph isn't exactly ideal...
Thanks given by:
That's not ideal Ruan. My old box was 3400 at 60 with the small wheels I had!
Ruan YHPM in 2 mins ninja
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
LOL 60mph at 2k for me.

Ruan youll probably have a similar PM from me at some point.
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2012, 02:02 PM)Ruan Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzc5EDff0e0

Why have a supercharger, when a properly tuned XUD9 will have next to no lag whatsoever...
Okay I want everything you've done to your Dtub, that sounds amazing and f*cking shifts
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
is there a thread build link for ruans d turbo??
Thanks given by:
Yeah use the search and you'll find it.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-574.html

Not a full build thread, but explains most things Smile

In fairness, there wasn't a build thread until I did that....
Thanks given by: