couple of questions - 1.8 cab

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
couple of questions - 1.8 cab
Hi all,

1st thing - "possible headgasket failure?"
This week I started work 2 minutes from my front door (currently on training).
It's roughly 2.1 miles (round trip there and back is 4.2 miles)
I've been using the cab since monday-friday.
Just been out and checked the water level, oil etc and noticed that when I ran my finger against the inside of the expansion tank I had oil on my finger. I checked the filler cap and there was a "slight" bit of mayo.

I suspect the mayo is just from the weather being cold and the engine not getting fully up to temp due to the constant short runs. But the oil residue on the inside of the expansion tank is a tad worrying. Surely that isn't right? how can any oil be making it's way into the expansion tank? It's only done 54k genuine miles.

2nd thing "clutch?"
Ever since buying my cab I've noticed when stood idling with the clutch pedal "up" you can hear what seems like metallic chafing/rattle. Dipping the clutch stops the noise. it seems to bite fine though??

the sound imagine putting a load of 5pence coins in a blender and turning it on. (perhaps not quite as loud) but thats the best way of describing it.

Both of the above have been posted on the 306cab.com forum but looking for other views or opinions.

In relation to the clutch it hadn't made the noise for 2-3 days until earlier this evening "from 306cab.com" -

"just been out to get some cigs, parked back up on the drive as I was putting the hand brake on... I could hear an intermittent "rattle/clonk"

the sound was metallic sounded like a duff wheel bearing type noise, varying in pitch/tone slightly every time I de-pressed and pressed the clutch.

the last couple of time's I've noticed this noise being so loud, it has been at night and it has been 0 to -1c when it's been occuring. Could the cold weather be having an effect?"

It has only done a genuine 54k miles. carefully driven (with the exception of 1st gear, it very rarely goes above 2k rpm) i.e drive like a diesel lol 40mpg is achievable. - phase 3 on an x plate (2001).

thanks in advance

rob
Thanks given by:
Clutch could be thrust baring on its way out?
Thanks given by: