Heater Matrix Changing Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heater Matrix Changing Thread
I remember awhile ago KrisB wrote up a detailed heater matrix replacement guide. The Haynes guide seems a bit long winded, it wants you to take the steering wheel off for instance which I would rather not do as I need to still use the car up until the time that I replace the matrix. If the KrisB article cannot be found would anyone like to write up a guide?
Thanks given by:
IIRC there was a decent guide on GTi6 owners which I managed to follow with no prior knowledge.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Is it this one: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=21946
Thanks given by:
It might be, the guide I used had pictures as well. I think that one does but because I'm not logged in can't view them.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure you have to take the steering wheel out. The dash wouldn't move out otherwise
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Right, what are things that I can do before I make the car undrivable? Don't forget I'll still need wipers and the rear screen defroster.
Thanks given by:
All the stuff out of the center dash

Clock
Radio
Hazzers switch
Heater vents
Etc

Glove box
Top glove box if you have it

Center console below the dash (ash tray part)

Steering wheel cowl
Dial surrounds

But you will need to move the whole dash forward anf away from the fire wall . Which means removing 99% of the stuff on the dash. But its easily do able if you set yourself aside 1 whole day. I done this job when i was 17 with feck all knowlage.

Here you go step by step with pics.

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=78999

NOTE: this guide does not tell you to undo the screws that hold your heater controls to the dash. you need to do this otherwise you wreck all the clips on the back and its a night mare.

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Good guide that, its what I used. Like Jamie said though there are a few things it doesn't mention, but as long as you think about what your doing it'll be fine
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thanks, that's helped a lot, I'll start work tommorrow. Just a quick question with the steering wheel, is there anyway to mark it so that you can put it back on the same splines?
Thanks given by:
Once you've got the airbag out get some tip ex and mark the shaft it sits on and put a line on the steering wheel too, ps have fun Wink i done mine the other week, i took my passenger seat out to give me some more room
Click to see how smokey is doing Tongue ----> Project Smokey
Thanks given by:
Right, I have been a busy bunny this morning and I believe I have removed all I can without making the car undrivable:
[Image: P1010019-2.jpg]
The only thing I have had problems with are the heater controls:
[Image: P1010017.jpg]
The Haynes just says to unclip them but I can't find out how to do so.

Also, is there a way to tell the heater matrix type before exposing it, like looking at the pipe fitting for instance? I would rather get one ordered so that it is ready for when I have the dash out.

Edit: Also is it worth splashing out for an expensive one or should I just buy a bargain basement one? I don't want to have to do it again in another two years.
Thanks given by:
There are 2 types of heater matrix air con and non air con, with your heater controls just undo the 4 torx screw holding the panel in
Thanks given by:
this is who i got mine from great service been in my car for 3 years no problems
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/peugeot-306-he...932&_uhb=1
Thanks given by:
I presume you unplugged the keypad imobaliser while the car was running?
As for removing the heater controls look where the black cables go into it quite easy to work out Wink

Thanks given by:
(02-12-2012, 01:40 PM)Parksy87 Wrote: There are 2 types of heater matrix air con and non air con, with your heater controls just undo the 4 torx screw holding the panel in

could my aircon not working be why my cars heaters are only getting luke warm? i didnt no the aircon had somthing to do with the heatermatrix
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2012, 01:40 PM)Parksy87 Wrote: There are 2 types of heater matrix air con and non air con, with your heater controls just undo the 4 torx screw holding the panel in

That's fine, my car was not fitted with aircon. After some research on the GTI6 forum it seems that only aircon models are fitted with the Behr matrix.

(02-12-2012, 01:49 PM)vincent1 Wrote: this is who i got mine from great service been in my car for 3 years no problems
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/peugeot-306-he...932&_uhb=1

Heh, I noticed that one on eBay and it was the one I was thinking of getting anyway. I'll get it bought then!

(02-12-2012, 01:59 PM)spike2002 Wrote: I presume you unplugged the keypad imobaliser while the car was running?
As for removing the heater controls look where the black cables go into it quite easy to work out Wink

The immobiliser is for show onlyWink I have tried to pull the cables off the back of the heater controls but they won't budge. I am afraid of breaking them.

(02-12-2012, 02:05 PM)therefused Wrote:

could my aircon not working be why my cars heaters are only getting luke warm? i didnt no the aircon had somthing to do with the heatermatrix

No it doesn't they are just different types of matrixes made to fit the different types of heater units.
Thanks given by:
Just undo the 4 torx screws then the control panel will push back an not be pulled out when you move the dash out no need to worry about cables and clips
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  96 Dt Heater Matrix pipes KilianManning 3 1,860 30-01-2016, 10:21 PM
Last Post: KilianManning
  Heater matrix help no heat :-( pioneer DJ paddy 6 2,020 24-11-2015, 09:56 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  Broken heater matrix pipes anto 6 2,805 28-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Last Post: daveylennon93