Accurate boost gauge?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accurate boost gauge?
What are people using??

Ideally, I want one that looks the same as the speedo, but whatever is accurate really. I guess budget would be up to £40 ish..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Would be going for a stack one myself, but they are around the 50 quid mark.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Only heard good things about stack and isspro, both expensive but you get what you pay for Smile
Thanks given by:
Exactly that, you do.
I'm going for a stack boost gauge, and a zada tech lcd system for egt, oil temp/presure and all the other featuers it offers.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
i brought one from a company called "motor meter racing" seem good enough lol
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
I can highly recommend SW. They are exemplar quality and half the price of the ones mentioned above, for which you are just paying for a name.
Thanks given by:
Quite a lot of people i know use AutoGauge ones, i have one myself.. Looks fairly OEM and as far as i know they're fairly accurate and fairly cheap too
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
iv got an auto meter one
or a stewart warner one
both usa made and seem solid and good
Thanks given by:
if you want factory looking you can't go far wrong with VDO gauges and they have a good reputation too!

[Image: vdo_boost.jpg]
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
OEM + gauges like above are FTW!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Or for half the price...

[Image: sw_tur-boo-gauge.jpg]

Edit: Admittedly it doesn't have as many increments but you shouldn't be aiming for half measures anyway Smile

Edit 2: And it has the vacuum bit which is annoying but not worth paying £20 extra quid to get rid of!
Thanks given by:
Flynn Wrote:Or for half the price...

[Image: sw_tur-boo-gauge.jpg]

Edit: Admittedly it doesn't have as many increments but you shouldn't be aiming for half measures anyway Smile

Edit 2: And it has the vacuum bit which is annoying but not worth paying £20 extra quid to get rid of!

So do you just guess the boost between the markers?? less money clearly gets you less markers! lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
^ This. My map is designed for 19 psi, how the hell am I supposed to read that accurately?

If i said i wanted a cheap one, then i'd look at that, but I'm not after cheap junk. (might have to increase my budget though lol)

Look at the thread title ffs.

Thanks given by:
Jonny81191 Wrote:^ This. My map is designed for 19 psi, how the hell am I supposed to read that accurately?

If i said i wanted a cheap one, then i'd look at that, but I'm not after cheap junk. (might have to increase my budget though lol)

lmao you got out of the wrong side of bed this morning Jonny Tongue

VDO it is then, get it bought Big Grin
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Jonny81191 Wrote:^ This. My map is designed for 19 psi, how the hell am I supposed to read that accurately?

Well it has 20 on it, I would assume 19 psi would be slightly underneath that :roll: Besides if a remap sets the boost to a predetermined level, can't see why you need one at all, the reason the XUD lot need them is because they have to manually adjust the boost pressure when tuning. And I can assure you that the build quality of Stewart Warner instrumentation is far from 'cheap junk' so your advice for me to take note of the thread title is invalid.
Thanks given by:
Flynn Wrote:Well it has 20 on it, I would assume 19 psi would be slightly underneath that :roll: Besides if a remap sets the boost to a predetermined level, can't see why you need one at all, the reason the XUD lot need them is because they have to manually adjust the boost pressure when tuning. And I can assure you that the build quality of Stewart Warner instrumentation is far from 'cheap junk' so your advice for me to take note of the thread title is invalid.

The title says "accurate" and every 5 PSI is not accurate!

the HDi is exactly the same as the XUD, you have to manually set the boost on the actuator, the map has nothing what so ever to do with the boost pressure so you would need one to accurately set the boost level to compliment the fuelling supplied by the map you have installed on the ECU.

So kindly pipe down or get a clue Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Accurate is determined by difference of the reading of the boost gauge relative to the actual pressure; not to be confused with the level of increments on the output display. the Not my fault if your tiny brain cannot comprehend the readings without markers every 1/10th of a psi :roll:
Thanks given by:
Flynn Wrote:Accurate is determined by difference of the reading of the boost gauge relative to the actual pressure; not to be confused with the level of increments on the output display. the Not my fault if your tiny brain cannot comprehend the readings without markers every 1/10th of a psi :roll:

and how do you intend to get an accurate reading off a gauge with no markers on it..............

Since you don't know me (and never will with any luck) I don't really see how you can make that comment and if you have to resort to personal insults when your clearly wrong then you should maybe try to grow up a bit Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:lmao you got out of the wrong side of bed this morning Jonny Tongue

No, just bored of the troll already.

Looks like it, where did you find that one with no vac? I can only find ones that read both ways lol.

And @ Flynn, please either talk sense or GTFO. I can't put it more politely (why am I even trying to be nice to you)

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
Flynn Wrote:Accurate is determined by difference of the reading of the boost gauge relative to the actual pressure; not to be confused with the level of increments on the output display. the Not my fault if your tiny brain cannot comprehend the readings without markers every 1/10th of a psi :roll:

and how do you intend to get an accurate reading off a gauge with no markers on it..............

Since you don't know me (and never will with any luck) I don't really see how you can make that comment and if you have to resort to personal insults when your clearly wrong then you should maybe try to grow up a bit Wink

Have a look at the pic again. It has markers on it Wink Incase you are still confused I will help you; the markers are there so that you can determine what the reading is relative to the proximity of the needle to the closest number. Now stop being obtuse, the gauge I have suggested is perfectly reasonable for this man's needs and it is quite clear you are simply trying to cause an argument. So just behave Confusedhhh:

Jonny81191 Wrote:
mark_airey Wrote:lmao you got out of the wrong side of bed this morning Jonny Tongue

No, just bored of the troll already.

Looks like it, where did you find that one with no vac? I can only find ones that read both ways lol.

And @ Flynn, please either talk sense or GTFO. I can't put it more politely (why am I even trying to be nice to you)

I'm sorry that the thread as been taken up by a bit of back and forth by Mark and myself but I have to challenge his ignorance. I find the SW gauge perfect and the display tastefully minimalistic, not to mention far cheaper than the other brands, of which you are just paying for a name. Edit: The vac bit doesn't make a difference, just ignore it or use a black marker pen to cover the vac side on the card with the numbers on it.
Thanks given by:
Bit the bullet and bought a stack one. Cheers all for the helpful comments Smile

Thanks given by:
Flynn have you ever had one of those SW ones tested?

The one thats currently on jonnys car has been tested and under reads by about 7% so he wants one thats known to be accurate.

I know a few people who have had the J3 ones like I have in my garage tested and theyer supposedly very accurate.

It matters because if the map isnt getting the boost it should be then the car smokes and wont make the power it should
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boost gauge BoldieRob 8 1,942 01-02-2017, 09:14 PM
Last Post: kyler000
  Boost gauge and stock pressure JTaylor2005 16 3,200 27-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Recommendations for boost gauge and fitting kit 306rhys 6 1,914 30-07-2015, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Poodle