The Racetractor. The End.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Racetractor. The End.
Piggy if you struggling with breathing make a pipe from you catch tank to your air filter or on the pipe to the inlet of your turbo.

As for cooling u need a bigger tad and good air flow. 
A decent cold feed to your filter will help no end.
the only issue appart from my gearbox was my oil was about 105 and i already use a 235 19 row cooler and rp oil.

Pocture shows the pipe from catch tank to inlet pipe.

And she did 167 miles about 93 laps on track. Used about a litre a lap haha
Thanks given by:
thanks chris.

new rad is here! Smile

not sure about breather pipe yet. Mine breaths more oil than yours I expect.

I have a cold air feed from f/n/s fog light through wing to air filter, will have a NACA duct in the bonnet soon too Wink
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
so bonnet is here if I hadnt already said, still wrapped up till next week when i have time to start cutting holes in it. Then paint it. I was going to get kellets to paint it but after talking to me best mate who paints carbon n Fg stuff on lambos etc, he said its SO difficult to get a flat finish on FG/carbon bits that a rattle can finish would probably be as good. So we shall see. Hope I have enough paint to do the front bumper and rear o/s quater panel ding. Hoping too that Dumdum has me a better rear bumper to save painting that!

Driveshaft is here also...ready to go on tomorrow at some point.

And new radiator is here...I am a magpie to shiny things...

[attachment=23858]

So dug out loads of spare coolant pipe for the bottom second and a quick shopping spree on ebay for 30mm connectors, a 30mm/18mm T piece (to plumb in the heat exchanger), 8mm barbed screw in connector (for the stat housing bleed off), a bunch of jubilees and a new fan fitting kit (SO MUCH thicker!).... all to make it fit. 

Probably need to reroute the boost pipe, but I got some bits to do that hopefully left over. 

And I need a expansion tank, which I will use a old ph2/3 one for now and then get one made that is also nice n shiny!

Hope to have a mocal plate and longer lines too coming soon...will try and fit that just in front of washer bottle to keep air flow uninterrupted to the rad.

Once we get all this done...I think its weighbridge time again!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
About time people started bodging S-Body radiators on!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(17-06-2015, 03:53 PM)silverzx Wrote: About time people started bodging S-Body radiators on!

"carefully fitting" - don't you mean!?  Rofl
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Wish i had of gone down that route with my rad rather than buying a new nissens. Now I've got Spal fans, the temp needle doesn't move thankfully. Watching it on MAP4000, it literally moves up to 87 fans kick in at 86) stays there for 10 seconds or so and drops back down lol. Amazing what a different good fans make! Wouldn't of needed them if i had of had a good rad though.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
It has a header tank built in piggy
Thanks given by:
Looks like a good option this rad, just wondering if it would be worth me fitting one.

The track car barely ever goes over 90, and its out there for like 40 mins a time, I got a low boost '6 now so wondering if I'd need one this size to keep it cool.

Anyway looking good piggy will be following on how hard or easy this is to fit.
Thanks given by:
(17-06-2015, 06:10 PM)fatlapit Wrote: It has a header tank built in piggy

Not in the true sense to be honest.

When the top pipe is higher than the expansion tank, and the top pipe needs to be FULL, doesnt leave much room for expansion. I'm very 50/50 at this point. I may run without to get things moving. And see how it goes

[attachment=23862][attachment=23863]

woohoo!

now to start cutting holes in it!
then rub it flat. 
then paint it
Then bolt it in.

Feels much lighter and stronger than I expected tbh! Very happy.

But having a carbon one here for someone else...hubba hubba

most of this you already know... I do mostly talking in it... hope next few videos be a bit better!!

https://youtu.be/MC9haojlgO4
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I do like your videos.
Thanks given by:
(17-06-2015, 09:13 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I do like your videos.

dry sarcasm in the sarcasm queens thread... genius lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I have no problems bud
Thanks given by:
No genuinely I like your videos, I watch all of the ones where you are talking about the 2.1. like a video project thread.

Now hurry up with track time and car show videos before it's pugfest.
Thanks given by:
(17-06-2015, 09:23 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: No genuinely I like your videos, I watch all of the ones where you are talking about the 2.1. like a video project thread.

Now hurry up with track time and car show videos before it's pugfest.

thanks man Smile

alright alright. I got hours of video to go through...and a rad to fit...and a bonnet to paint...and a beam to build...and the mystery of the puking gearbox!

(17-06-2015, 09:19 PM)fatlapit Wrote: I have no problems bud

may drash on and see how it goes
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Love watching your videos!
Still not enough ziggy though!

Your car makes me really miss my old moonstones, such a lovely colour and always looks clean!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Love these videos piggy top work on the car too :-) fare play man can't wait for a nother update lol
Thanks given by:
Well done mate,another great video can't wait to see the track time ones
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Yeah you just want a little expansion bottle, doesn't need to be anything fancy, hell, use anything..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
I to have watched some of your vids mate Smile

have you removed the tar like sound deadening that's stuck to the floor? that weighs a fair bit and is again free
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2015, 11:41 AM)maxlee Wrote: I to have watched some of your vids mate Smile

have you removed the tar like sound deadening that's stuck to the floor? that weighs a fair bit and is again free

its messy, a biatch to remove, means the floor needs painting or coating and only weighs a couple of kgs tbh

(18-06-2015, 08:12 AM)silverzx Wrote: Yeah you just want a little expansion bottle, doesn't need to be anything fancy, hell, use anything..

was hoping you would pop in and comment Smile

does it for sure?

Whats your setup fella?? Can i have a pic or two?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2015, 01:16 PM)Piggy Wrote:
(18-06-2015, 08:12 AM)silverzx Wrote: Yeah you just want a little expansion bottle, doesn't need to be anything fancy, hell, use anything..
was hoping you would pop in and comment Smile does it for sure? Whats your setup fella?? Can i have a pic or two?

One of these:

[Image: %24_57.JPG]

Might be all right without but once it's got hot it's gonna wanna go somewhere...
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by: Piggy
(18-06-2015, 02:24 PM)silverzx Wrote:
was hoping you would pop in and comment Smile does it for sure? Whats your setup fella?? Can i have a pic or two?

One of these:

Might be all right without but once it's got hot it's gonna wanna go somewhere...

ahhh, thats really useful. So its not under pressure like the ph2/3 expansion tank, it's just a header tank to drain away or pull in coolant. Simples. i should have guessed/known really after years of owning jap stuff.

erm...got a spare hanging about by any chance!? Wink
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2015, 02:33 PM)Piggy Wrote:

One of these:

ahhh, thats really useful. So its not under pressure like the ph2/3 expansion tank, it's just a header tank to drain away or pull in coolant. Simples. i should have guessed/known really after years of owning jap stuff.

Dunno about the ph2/3 tank.

But yeah, essentially push/pull coolant.

Uhhh.. Maybe, might of binned it. Don't hold your breath..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2015, 02:34 PM)silverzx Wrote:
(18-06-2015, 02:33 PM)Piggy Wrote:

One of these:

Dunno about the ph2/3 tank.

But yeah, essentially push/pull coolant.

Uhhh.. Maybe, might of binned it. Don't hold your breath..

hhHHHUUUMM. *holding breath*

sod all that.

I am getting a bit science biatch slap from Ruan.

I need a proper expansion tank due to higher pressures needed for the system, will need to shim the rad cap too Undecided
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
That is a proper expansion tank... Big Grin
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2015, 03:19 PM)silverzx Wrote: That is a proper expansion tank... Big Grin

its an overflow. Its not under pressure.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2015, 03:26 PM)Piggy Wrote:
(18-06-2015, 03:19 PM)silverzx Wrote: That is a proper expansion tank... Big Grin

its an overflow. Its not under pressure.

So coolant doesn't expand into it, it overflows? Blush

Educate meeee!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Shim the coolant cap??
Thanks given by:
Ideally you don't want to be using an overflow tank - this is because the top of the radiator is not the top of the system unlike MOST cars - remember that the radiators with the tank on the side are not just attached to the radiator, they're an expansion tank that happens to be connected to the radiator. If you get air in the top of the radiator - which can happen with an overflow tank double spring rad cap setup, when you turn off the engine, the air will go backwards into the thermostat housing, possibly causing an airlock, this also means that the bleed line that goes to the top of the radiator is defunct - because it's likely to be filled with air - this is why the stock radiators have a bleed on top of the radiator, to ensure there is no air in the top, because you'll air lock the cylinder head if you do.

Of course, if XUDs had a "normal" cooling system, they'd be fine, but unfortunately, they have an odd design which means that they've very sensitive to air'ing up and can't get the air out easily. Placing an overflow style radiator which has a radiator cap on top in the system means you increase the chance of this happening greatly, hence I said, shim the radiator cap on the radiator you have to stop any air getting in due to it's overflowing double spring design. Then use a normal expansion tank tee'd into the lower radiator hose, you can then place this wherever you want in the engine bay, higher the better, since this will make it much easier to bleed the system as you can get the water in the expansion tank to be the highest point.

As always, my opinion - people aren't bound to have to use my opinions of course, but if asked, I'll always give them.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Or just use it as it is because its fine
Thanks given by: