The Racetractor. The End.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Racetractor. The End.
(14-04-2015, 01:26 PM)Niall Wrote:
(14-04-2015, 09:24 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: SDS ftw

Why on earth would he need to use a SDS drill for drilling out bleed nipples?

He's already said he's using SDS drill bits and they aren't touching it, I didn't clarify whether I was suggesting an SDS drill or just using an SDS bit.
Thanks given by:
(14-04-2015, 01:55 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:

He's already said he's using SDS drill bits and they aren't touching it, I didn't clarify whether I was suggesting an SDS drill or just using an SDS bit.

All SDS (Slotted Drive System) is referring to, is the manner in which the bit is attached to the chuck. How would this impact upon a drill bits ability to cut through a material? The only factor I can think of would be if the bit was slipping in a 'traditional' chuck.

Time to buy some sharp, decent drill bits ThumbsUp
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(14-04-2015, 02:22 PM)Grant Wrote:
(14-04-2015, 01:55 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:

All SDS (Slotted Drive System) is referring to, is the manner in which the bit is attached to the chuck. How would this impact upon a drill bits ability to cut through a material? The only factor I can think of would be if the bit was slipping in a 'traditional' chuck.

Time to buy some sharp, decent drill bits ThumbsUp

http://www.technologystudent.com/pwtol/drill4.htm

James hasn't gone into detail on whether or not it's the drill or the drill bit which is struggling. Of course he is going to need a decent drill bit, but also a more meaty drill may be needed.
Thanks given by:
Im using pretty decent cobalt metal drill bits, its not slipping in the chuck.
I have ordered a new set though as these are over a year old and i give em abuse

In other news...

a billet wheel, some laser cut flanges and pieces of lexan and fibreglass have now been ordered
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Billet fly? I have one of these to fit to mine.

I really want to get in on your fibreglass bonnet deal, but can't at the moment.

I was surprised with the weight of the car, I thought it might of been less. But like the progress you are making.
Thanks given by:
Brakes bloody brakes.

Replacement pair of rear calipers to go on.

The right hand nipple broke Angry

[attachment=22725]

New ride height at the rear

[attachment=22726]
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You don't have much luck with nipples do you.
Thanks given by:
[attachment=22738]

Starting to look the part...

Need a bit more poke though
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
He must twist the nipples too hard!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Look at that heavy and unnecessary front splitter!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
so got some shiny stuff, which you will know if following on instagram.

Stripped the spare GTB down this evening. Need some new vane housing bolts which are made of nothing by cheese annoying and didnt come in the rebuild kit from Turbo Rebuild company up north.

Anyway, heres the old comp wheel next to the new one Smile

[attachment=22869]

[attachment=22870]

Note, the extended tips down the shaft and width at the base slightly. Its lighter, only by about 3-4grams, but every gram counts towards that 1 tonne target Rofl

After a lot of calculations with a LOT of Ruans help, and lots of googling (how ruan fits all that info in his head is mind boggling) I came to the 6+6 blade rather than 11blade. This is going to be the limit really of the GTB20. But I would love to see if she will blow 250. But a more reliable 225bhp will be pleasant. 

I'm not replacing the bearings as they are good and original, only done 40k, which no doubt the kit wont have as good bearings. But the oil seals on these are a weak point imho, so they will be replaced. 

In other news, the repalcement windows have arrived, I got a puncture (0psi) but didnt realise till I drove it as you cant tell due to no weight in rear lol

but she drives real nice. Fresh brakes, a bias, wider tyres, thicker rear ARB and low weight really make for a lot of fun. 

Arduino also close to being redone. Managed to get it running off the car 12v now without interference. 

Next: custom manifold, new exhaust, new FG bonnet too. Lets hope I can get it all done for FCS  Undecided

still need 16" rims for my track tyres

new arduino coolness

[attachment=22871]
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Looking good man as always.

Any luck with turbo being balanced
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Good to hear the arduino is almost fully working after 18 months of trying or however long it's taken you to sort it all out.
Thanks given by:
It turns out it was the car wiring after all basically. But hey ho.

And after more research, and asking round...no balancing. The shaft and turbine is balanced independently from the comp wheel, and the billet wheel comes balanced.
In a ideal world once built up it be VSRd but no one will do it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Piggy well, waiting to see the new GTB working.
Thanks given by:
want to know what £35 gets your from Peugeot....

[attachment=22927]    

Dodgy

Oh well. Hoping these will stop my weeping oil leak. Breather pipes and some O rings for the filler connector.

Started some work on my custom dash...

[attachment=22928]

[attachment=22929]

won't be staying shiny, flock will make a return

Bits arrived for turbo too, so by end of weekend I hope to have the dash finished and turbo finished.

Oh and a certain David Beckett on FB was a genuine supernova star and sent me a load of manual window mechanisms inc a drivers one which ozone said he had....but was a passenger one Doh He sent them all for free, what a lad.

So I hope to start the polycarb windows too this weekend if it stays dry.

Then its exhaust/manifold time.

Then its panic time.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Oh I know what that long hose is, block to head breather. Had to change mine and they are a PITA to do ended up cutting the old one in half to remove it.
Thanks given by:
David Beckett is a legend, we were best makes through primary and secondary school and his mechanical knowledge is very useful Wink

Generous guy and good to know Wink
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2015, 09:07 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Oh I know what that long hose is, block to head breather. Had to change mine and they are a PITA to do ended up cutting the old one in half to remove it.

think mine may just fall to pieces as i pull!

The other one is that nasty elbow behind the starter motor
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
rear bias valves finally, did you go for adjustable in the end? this thing actually on the road and drive able atm?

Some pretty exciting stuff in the pipeline then, nothing more exciting than turbos, manifolds and gauges

What material are you using for your custom dash panel, is it flexible?

Want to change out the stuff i used for my gauges, and tidy up the others with something similar - but I used perspex last time which is pretty brittle
Thanks given by:
piggy what are the top two boards?
have you a link to where you bought the electronics kits??

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
(01-05-2015, 10:26 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: rear bias valves finally, did you go for adjustable in the end? this thing actually on the road and drive able atm?

Some pretty exciting stuff in the pipeline then, nothing more exciting than turbos, manifolds and gauges

What material are you using for your custom dash panel, is it flexible?

Want to change out the stuff i used for my gauges, and tidy up the others with something similar - but I used perspex last time which is pretty brittle

Yeah adjustable.

I'm driving it as usual tbh, cable ties and wire holding stuff in lol drive it every other I guess.
She drives a peach but annoyingly only got 1.5bar as I don't wana risk hurting anything running on the boost can and with no gauges to keep an eye on stuff. Can't wait to get arduino back in operation.

Nah I'm using perspex acrylic too, easy to work with and cheap. It is brittle though as you say. I'm hoping it will be ok :blink:

(01-05-2015, 01:20 PM)cully Wrote: piggy what are the top two boards?
have you a link to where you bought the electronics kits??

Just adjustable voltage reg boards, ebay seller in UK. I can find the link if you need??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Thumbs Up 
so this is what 20+ hours of work on a custom half dash looks like....goodness it takes so much time to do custom bits!  Dodgy

[attachment=22946]
[attachment=22947]

leave it to cure overnight...lets hope I didnt miss any bits  Undecided knackered now.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
piggy why you doing that with the dash? make a one out of card board and paper mache for weight saving.
Thanks given by:
Too much effort, its pretty light as it is, tough enough doing little bits for gauges custom, let alone the whole damn thing.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I bet that will look really good. The flocked dash bits I had off you look great.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
[attachment=22961]

[attachment=22962]
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Looks the part. I'll give you that.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Looks loads better now.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
brapp

looks good

forgot about heater controls, thought you'd gone for many more gauges
Thanks given by: