Fuel Economy 1.4

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Economy 1.4
Well, replaced the HG, WP and timing belt on the scrap 5 door 2001 1.4 i bought for grins

had it on the road for a few days (mixed driving 80% motorway) and - if my maths are correct

299.2 miles @ 28.82 litres @ 130.9 a litre = average 47.2mpg / 12.6p per mile / 79 mile to a tenner.

Not bad for an 11 year old petrol motor.
Thanks given by:
Used to get 100 miles to a tenner in mine at 45mpg....ahhhh the days when petrol was a pound a litre!
Thanks given by:
Pretty good. 1.4s are quite cheap to run. Although you will probably go through gearboxes quicker than fuel
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
i remember those days well, unfortunately they're long gone :-(

Are the boxes sh!te like? seems fine on this one, done 98k have another 1.4 sat for spares which has done 76 so not that worried for how long i expect it to last me, a car a year at the minute Smile
Thanks given by:
(26-12-2012, 03:12 PM)swigham Wrote: i remember those days well, unfortunately they're long gone :-(

Are the boxes sh!te like? seems fine on this one, done 98k have another 1.4 sat for spares which has done 76 so not that worried for how long i expect it to last me, a car a year at the minute Smile

Deffinitely long gone!

And the boxes arent that bad... I was only my third 'box at 70k... lol But that said, I had another 1.4 which was on 80k with original box no problem.
Thanks given by:
3 in 70k? i'd be upset - nearly as much as when I had a 53 plate Almera from new which chewed through 4 timing CHAINS in 60k - Nissan would never admit a fault though. doyles
Thanks given by:
They were 2nd hand boxes though, so that didnt help lol. It just seems to be luck whether or not you get a decent one. Its crucial to use the right (OEM) gearbox oil in them though, even more so the TU boxes than the other 306 boxes!
Thanks given by:
I'll keep that in mind re: the oil with my next project (when the weather hots up) - just picked up a box from a TUD5 (derv saxo) which should be a straight fit to the petrol TU lump
hopefully better ratios / final drive for the "1.4 Econo-me" in the pipeline.
hence me getting this one on the road as a bit of a test.

tu5 + tud5 box + stripped of weight within an inch of its life + LPG self conversion = should make for an economical (if somewhat sluggish) motorway machine Smile
need Good weather and 3 door shell first
Thanks given by:
Sounds like an interesting project tbh!! Good luck with it. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Id stick the whole TUD5 engine in with its box. The 106 NAD will do about 70-80mpg on the motorway.
Thanks given by:
Never had a problem with the gearbox on my 1.4. Admittedly it felt like shit but it worked fine. I probably got 400 out of a tank so 100 for every quarter. The 1.8 was a bit more efficient.
Thanks given by:
(26-12-2012, 03:48 PM)swigham Wrote: tu5 + tud5 box + stripped of weight within an inch of its life + LPG self conversion = should make for an economical (if somewhat sluggish) motorway machine Smile
need Good weather and 3 door shell first

Not to mention you'll be driving with no insurance so you'll save money there...Insurance companies need to know of all mods especially LPG which has to be certificated otherwise they won't touch you with a barge pole.
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

Member of Team Holey Engine

[Image: IM_sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I know that.... I'll be doing the install myself and then getting it certified (it's only about £70)
Thanks given by:
Don't stick a 1.5D in, it'll end up worse on fuel since it's a small engine in a big car, you'll be having to nail the poor engine to make it move... You're better off with a SLIGHTLY more powerful engine... A DW8 NA with all the EGR shite taken off is one of the most efficient engines going IMO.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(27-12-2012, 11:36 AM)Ruan Wrote: Don't stick a 1.5D in, it'll end up worse on fuel since it's a small engine in a big car, you'll be having to nail the poor engine to make it move... You're better off with a SLIGHTLY more powerful engine... A DW8 NA with all the EGR shite taken off is one of the most efficient engines going IMO.

Better than dw10? Thought turbo helps with efficency?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Hdis are shit for efficiency, the turbo is rubbish, and the engines too heavy...... My 106 NAD never got less than 67mpg! Same power to weight roughly with the dw8 in a 306 should be about the same I reckon. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
hmmm shame i cant even imagine 47mpg in my 1.4 but then again it's f*cked
Thanks given by: